Westmeath County Board

Started by Shamrock Shore, July 03, 2007, 11:10:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

This takes the biscuit.

The good folk in Westmeath County Board, in their wisdom, have

- brought forward Saturday's Qualifier against Longford by 2 hours (to 5 pm)
- notified Longford of this decision by text and with no consultation
- decided that there are no tickets for the match and it is cash at the turnstiles.

Many of youse have been to Tesco's Car Park (aka Cusack Park) and it's a fecker to get into at the best of times.  With people foostering with €50 euro notes and the 3 people that will invariably be the only ones operating the turnstiles on Sat I, to paraphrase the Kaiser Chiefs, predict a riot.

With their website the joke of Ireland and their shameful treatment of 'Blessed' Luke Dempsey are Westmeath County Board the worst County Board in Ireland?

BTW - Longford will win handy on Saturday  ;)

Billys Boots

QuoteI, to paraphrase the Kaiser Chiefs, predict a riot.

Houl yer whist, or I predict a court-case.

They don't want us to come obviously, so we can't say we saw them humiliated twice this year.  But sure, isn't it great that the Natural Order of things is restored?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Shamrock Shore

In 2000 at the O'Byrne Cup final there was almost a riot as there were huge queues to get in well before throw-in that did begin to turn nasty.

With surely a few thousand more expected than that dark cauld (but heartwarming) day in Janguary how in the namea Jazes can they expect things to be different this time?

It was brought forward to 5 cos of "mass in the Cathedral" -  I dunno whether this is to allow the good Mullingar folk to get mass after the game or whether it's a traffic consideration. But seeing as 5 o'clock on a Sat is usually prime time for getting the messages then if must be the former.

I dunno. Anyway my advice to anyone going is to head for the turnstiles a good 40 minutes before throw in!

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on July 03, 2007, 11:10:07 AM
This takes the biscuit.

- notified Longford of this decision by text and with no consultation
- decided that there are no tickets for the match and it is cash at the turnstiles.

Many of youse have been to Tesco's Car Park (aka Cusack Park) and it's a fecker to get into at the best of times.  With people foostering with €50 euro notes and the 3 people that will invariably be the only ones operating the turnstiles on Sat I, to paraphrase the Kaiser Chiefs, predict a riot.

With their website the joke of Ireland and their shameful treatment of 'Blessed' Luke Dempsey are Westmeath County Board the worst County Board in Ireland?

BTW - Longford will win handy on Saturday  ;)

Being a Slasher u should know well to stay away from DUNNES car park, park in Springfield and use the tunnel under the canal ffs. There's never a queue at the turnstiles at that end of Cusack Park either.

Why the need for tickets when there's not a hope in hell of it selling out???

There was rumours it was gonna be switched to Sunday and if it was left up to me there'd be no notification at all...  :P

I look forward to your congratulations on a Westmeath victory the minute you get home from the match and trust your Internet connection is in proper working order!!!  ;D
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Uladh

Surely no one county can rearrange official fixtures by themselves? there would have to be agreement from headquarters

Shamrock Shore

Apologies Croí - of course it's Dunnes, not Tescos.

Do you not think that there was be at least 12,000 there? if not where is this famed Westmeath support we all hear about? Any game I've been to there it's been a disaster getting in. Printing a few auld tickets now isn't exactly rocket science.

Will there be kiosks on the way into the ground selling entrance tickets to make things easy and to avoid a build up?

Unfortunately I won't have access to a pc until Sunday eve but rest assured I will certainly not be found wanting in any regard about the result  ;)

Billys Boots

QuoteSurely no one county can rearrange official fixtures by themselves?

And off to the Four Courts we go again!  Wheeeeeeeee!

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on July 03, 2007, 12:06:28 PM
Apologies Croí - of course it's Dunnes, not Tescos.

Do you not think that there was be at least 12,000 there? if not where is this famed Westmeath support we all hear about? Any game I've been to there it's been a disaster getting in. Printing a few auld tickets now isn't exactly rocket science.

Will there be kiosks on the way into the ground selling entrance tickets to make things easy and to avoid a build up?

Unfortunately I won't have access to a pc until Sunday eve but rest assured I will certainly not be found wanting in any regard about the result  ;)

I'd be surprised if there's a crowd in the tens of thousands there, certainly not as many as was in Pearse Park. It was quite comfortable for the Limerick game last year.

No point in printing tickets as the stand is not seperated from the terraces. Even if ur coming from the Dunnes side (as I always do) avoid the first batch of turnstiles and head on down towards the Apartment end, shouldn't be a problem getting in...

Is Lukie gonna bother travel with the team or will he just stroll down to the ground? Hopefully he doesn't find himself locked out of the ground like he was outside the Greville...  :P
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Billys Boots

QuoteHopefully he doesn't find himself locked out of the ground like he was outside the Greville

Hopefully his current employers are not (as hopeless) a shower of losers!  ;)

AN other

Quote from: Billys Boots on July 03, 2007, 11:19:02 AM
They don't want us to come obviously, so we can't say we saw them humiliated twice this year.

You're dead right there Billy, there's not a whole lot more humiliating in football than loosing to Longford!

Billys Boots

QuoteYou're dead right there Billy, there's not a whole lot more humiliating in football than loosing to Longford!

I suppose you're right there AN Other, from the perspective of folk who don't understand Evolutionary Theory.  :P

Mentalman

No point in being 40 minutes early, still betting it won't be open, or at most one turnstile, they are some bunch of tossers.

And Billy, let's not get into the court case thing again, as I remind you Longford GAA are in no position to be throwing stones in that regard.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

Mentalman

Fans are gas all the same. When Luke and Westmeath went their seperate ways people were glad to get rid of him, now we have our rose tinited glasses on and look back on halcyon days. When he took over at Longford there was plenty of grumbling about how he was too easy on the players etc. but a couple of half decent displays, and beating the old enemy and he's top boy again.

Still, Saturday will be some game alright. Longford win, Westmeath may all go to Malawi, Billy style, Westmeath win and the the Longford lads will have the club championship wrapped out by September. Interesting times ahead!
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

Longfordian

Unfortunately ..wont be able to attend ....have wedding in Kildare to attend and have I been told in no uncertain terms that there isnt a chance of heading down to the game and backup to the reception after .....despite numerous attempts at reasoning !!!

I dont know .... have a bad feeling about this ......cant see Westmeath playing a 2nd half as poorly again ... hopefully Im wrong !!!!

LaurelEye

Quote from: Mentalman on July 03, 2007, 03:50:21 PMLongford win, Westmeath may all go to Malawi, Billy style

Jazes, I'd forgotten that one...
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.