Shane King

Started by ludermor, July 01, 2007, 07:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

I think the GAA would be right from banning him coaching kids. However not sure about the banning from matches??

Horrible situation but if you did it in a teaching job you'd be suspended until everything cleared so GAA doing correct in this case. He was a full time coach wasn't he? Career ruined then too. Horrendous.

Pangurban

Horrible story,grotesque and bizarre. Highlights weaknesses in child protection policy, where an accusation does not have to be credible or subject to even a cursory investigation, before action is taken against the accused. It flys in the face of any concept of fairness or justice.

john mcgill

Feeney is an absolute disgrace abusing his position as a teacher with children.

I once blaggged my way into the white seats in Clones for an Armagh Ulster championship match.  I was looking forward to the tea at halftime and using the press toilets.  After the game started I noticed Feeney sitting three seats fom me and I spent the rest of the game with my hand across my face hoping that I wouldn't appear in a photo with him.  I know in the circumstances that some of you would say my hand would have been better strategically positioned.

orangeman

This whole thing should be tightened up - imagine not being able to go to or play matches ? I feel there is something inherently wrong there !

ONeill

Absolutely shocked by this. Had no idea. Knew Shane from Rannafast and had followed his career subsequently. Horrendous time for him and his family. I can't really blame the GAA nor the restrictions put on him by law as they don't know the truth.

I hope he can see out this period and regain his budding media career.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

stew

Quote from: ONeill on July 01, 2007, 09:30:17 PM
Absolutely shocked by this. Had no idea. Knew Shane from Rannafast and had followed his career subsequently. Horrendous time for him and his family. I can't really blame the GAA nor the restrictions put on him by law as they don't know the truth.

I hope he can see out this period and regain his budding media career.

They knew he had not been found guilty and given the way Feeny was treated I would say there is definitely a double standard here.

He will never fully recover from this awful nighmare Shane, this has changed him forever unfortunately.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

ONeill

QuoteThey knew he had not been found guilty

What do you mean?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

armaghniac

I don't see why someone in King's situation should not be able to play or attend an adult game. Feeney could be banned for bringing the GAA into disrepute, but once again his attendance is not directly placing children at risk any more than going to a big shop like Dunnes stores would.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Mike Sheehy

QuoteI believe the accusor should spend some time behind bars.

Agreed. In this particular case she was probably too young at the time of the accusation but I think people fall into the "disturbed young lady" mode too easily. Given this was the second time she falsely accused someone some form of punishment has to be implemented.

ross matt

Had no idea this had been going on (which is good in a way as I'm sure Shane could have done without rumours or speculation when he was going through this) but it's one of the worst stories I ever heard. The GAA probably had no choice in initially banning him as they would have been open to mass criticism had he been found guilty and they continued to allow him work with kids. But they are guily themselves of double standards regarding the other individual who is guilty.

Shane King describing the situation with his own kids and being arrested in front of his pupils is both heart breaking and would make you really really angry about what this man had to go through. I cant believe this case went ahead on such flimsy evidence from an accuser with previous form. Hope Shane sues them for as much as he can get and she should see some serious time behind bars. Maybe the GAA could now make some kind of public statment of support for King?

cville

Dirtbag Feeny at Clones - bet he wasn't on the terrace getting wet, nor did he pay in. Some people have a cheek. Was Feeny supervised in the ground? No the good old Mafia of the Ulster Council always help their own!

rrhf

Feeney should get a kicking every time he walks near a ground. pervert.  If any Ulster council members still communicate with him at all,  I would want to know why and they should resign.  What happenbed to Shane King just illustrates that good child protections procedure and policy is actaully coach protection - an abominable occurence. 

Hardy

What's the full story on Feeney? If I ever knew, I've forgotten. What was he convicted of and did he serve a sentence?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Mac Eoghain on July 02, 2007, 11:01:47 AM
http://www.rte.ie/news/2000/1102/sexassault.html

That reports says that "In a statement, the Association stated that the offences of which Mr Feeney was convicted had no connection whatsoever with the GAA. However, Mr Feeney has been barred from all GAA activities since the Association became aware of the allegations against him three and a half years ago."

I take it that that's bullshit, that Feeney hasn't been barred from all GAA activities since the GAA became aware three and a half years ago?

Shocking story about Shane King... how easily his life was left in ruins by the fantastical imaginings of a delusional young lady, a young lady whose psychological problems should surely have been detected very early on in this sorry, sorry saga.  Severe failings there.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

balladmaker

QuoteHowever this was a criminal investigation and I believe the GAA acted completely correctly in banning him.

Unfortunately they didn't ban Michael Feeney at the time.  I remember a few years back when that all kicked off, he was inside the fence at a game in Clones with a smug look on his face!