Sligo v. Galway - Connacht Final

Started by magpie seanie, June 26, 2007, 11:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GallBoss

In one way gutted that Galway lost but in another delighted that these Sligo players got what they deserve and I'd urge them not to settle for this these oppurtunities don't come along often and they should aim as high as they can.

On Galway

- Forde should go and its easy to say now but he should never have got the job. He has no clue on the line he doesn't react to how a game is going changes are made for the sake of making changes.
- Paul Geraghty is not Kieran Donaghy.
- Why take Blake off if he was not injured he was disgusted when he was taken off.
- When did Niall Coleman ever play corner forward.
- Why move Mike Meehan from centre forward and Nicky from wing when early in the game they were really looking dangerous in these positions.
- It will be hard to pick it up from here even though its only one game before they are back where they would have been if they won but what hope is there with Peter Forde he makes Steve Staunton look like a tactial genius.  

heineken_on_tap

Fair play to Sligo - great result for ye and also for connaught football.  Enjoy it and hopefully ye will go and win a few more games now ...........well done

bcarrier

Well done to Sligo lads. They deserve this success...play with great heart and committment and occasionally with great class. O'hara's goal is best of season so far.

Angle of run different but switch of pegs was reminsicent of Maurice Fitz v Armagh way back when. 

Galway15

Lads where do i begin???Firstly fair play to Sligo..they totally deserved the win..they were savage hungry, full of fire and brimstone and were organised...the scenes in the Hyde were leitrim94/Clare95/galway98 vintage...i kept a close eye on o Hara at the final whistle and it was great to see him win his medal....super stuff from them and what a great goal...i thought Quinn in midfield was superb..MoM..as a galwayman im bitterly dissapointed at the performance...no passion, no heart, no guts....The hunger is sapped from joyce and savage and you could see it in their body language yesterday..Ja tried his best but was knackered by the end..Mike Meehan is a legend and has had the most difficult year personally but he will be back...tactically lumping sky high balls into Savage and Joyce wasnt the best idea but getting away from that we were so so flat it was unreal..throwing Geragthy in at full forward while leaving Sean Armstriong outfield said it all really....on another point Forde was the wrong man to take over from o mahony in the first place...hes just so mute and uninspiring its shocking..the players are clearly not listening...as the saying says 'Attitude reflects leadership'..galway need a passionate Jack o Connor style manager to get things going and clear out the old players...theres good players in our proud county still if only people would take a look...we havent a hope in the qualifiers bar a miracle change of attitude so its a big transition period for us im afraid...to Joyce etc its time to walk into the sunset..you have given unreal service and have been fantastic to the maroon and white...Go raibh míle :( gaillimh abú P.S couldnt leave without talking about both refs...the minor final ref was a disgrace..You would swear there was a fire somewhere witht he amount of whistling he was doing...Brian white is unfit and couldnt keep up with the play..its not good enough ???

MauriceMalpas

Posted this on the "Sligo are Connaught Champions" thread:

Sorry to piss in Sligo's cornflakes but while the game was, without doubt exciting the quality of football for a provinical final was shocking, especially the 2nd half. Admittedly Sligo defended well and they may kick on from this but that cant hide the awful standard of football.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: MauriceMalpas on July 09, 2007, 01:45:31 PM
Posted this on the "Sligo are Connaught Champions" thread:

Sorry to piss in Sligo's cornflakes but while the game was, without doubt exciting the quality of football for a provinical final was shocking, especially the 2nd half. Admittedly Sligo defended well and they may kick on from this but that cant hide the awful standard of football.

2nd half was very poor alright but the 1st half was pretty good in fairness.

baoithe

I am absolutely shell shocked today. I had to come back to the big smoke yesterday evening and tried to comprehend what happened between two o' clock and four o' clock that day. I don't mind saying I was teetering on the brink of crying my eyes out at the final whistle. For all of you who are from counties where success comes every few years it is impossible for you to understand what this means to Sligo people. I'm here at work numb and barely able to string any sort of a coherent post together - the rest of the office think I'm hungover but I just had one pint before the game yesterday. Ah I cant think straight...I'll try again in a couple of days.

magpie seanie

Baoithe - I know how you feel. Lap it up and enjoy every bit of it. The monkey is off our backs. AT LAST!

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 09, 2007, 02:56:47 PM
The monkey is off our backs. AT LAST!

I've heard Galway called worse  :D

SLIGONIAN

Im not shocked. Not one bit. I thought Galway were overrated and we were underrated. Our forwards played quite poor and we still won. We have plenty to work to do with frees from the left hand side. The shackles are off and this team is hungry for more.

The quality of match was obsorbed by the intensity and pressure on Sligo in the 2nd. Every score had massive pressure. I think any football man would understand that.

The size of the Galway support was pathetic yday. There was actually more from ros for the minor game.Obviously saving there money for latter days. Thats respect Galway people have for Sligo football. Well we showed them. ;D. And as for the Guys who were predicting 8pt + win for Galway. Never write us off. Im sure yee will the next day aswell but it counts for nothing.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

GalwayBayBoy

QuoteThats respect Galway people have for Sligo football.

I don't think playing Sligo had anything to do with it really Sligonian. Sligo were always going to have a much bigger crowd there as quite simply the game meant much more to them. Just like the players in fact. In Galway the fans are maybe a bit spoiled from success for years and find it hard to motivate themselves even for Connacht finals unfortunately. There was hardly a murmur of build-up in Galway the week before the game. You wouldn't even know it was on.

There was a whole load of us who opted to go to the hurling in Ennis on Saturday evening instead. Not that that turned out any better.

GalwaySham

QuoteThere was a whole load of us who opted to go to the hurling in Ennis on Saturday evening instead. Not that that turned out any better

Makes it sound like you didnt have the option of going to both.

Some loyal fans went to both, What a weekend it was for them!

GalwaySham

Any idea how this is going to affect the club championship? When is the next round to be played?

DJGaliv

MaroonAndWhite

Club championship games are going ahead this coming Sat & Sun. Lets hope they show a bit more for the clubs.......