Sligo v. Galway - Connacht Final

Started by magpie seanie, June 26, 2007, 11:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duine Eile

It's true then, it wasn't just a big plan to put the wind up me, we actually did lose to Sligo? Couldn't believe it, was at oxegen when I got word, I wasn't right for the day after it! Have yet to watch the tape, should I even bother?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Duine Eile on July 09, 2007, 06:17:16 PM
It's true then, it wasn't just a big plan to put the wind up me, we actually did lose to Sligo? Couldn't believe it, was at oxegen when I got word, I wasn't right for the day after it! Have yet to watch the tape, should I even bother?

Not a great game in fairness DE. Some good scores in the first half but second half was fairly putrid fare. Galway were as bad in the second half as they were vs Westmeath last year. Flaking scud missiles down the field aimed at nobody in particular and the appetite wasn't there to contest 50/50 balls.

Farrandeelin

Well it has cheered me up on this dreary rotten and wet Monday no end! Fair play Sligo. Hopefully you can take another scalp before the year's out (as long as it's not us)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

spectator

A famous win for Sligo, i'm really delighted for ye. :)

The phenomenal workrate, indomitable heart and determination ye demonstrated yesterday in stymying the much vaunted Galway forwards, was the winning of the game.

Ye're worthy Connacht champions. More efficiency on the part of your forwards & ye can be optimistic of progressing further yet. ;)

GaillimhIarthair

Dont bother with the tape, it was terrible stuff out of our lads.  The most galling thing about it really was the lack of heart and fight for the battle that was missing in so many of our players.  On a par with last years performance v Westmeath unfortunately.  Still depressed............................

the Deel Rover

Fair play to sligo absolutley delighted for them and not just because they bet Galway even though that was a bonus ;) ;), Its great to see the likes of Sligo winning who have put a lot of effort into their football and it was great to see  Eamon O' Hara get his 1st Connaught championship medal if ever a player deserved one he does.   
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

GalwaySham

QuoteClub championship games are going ahead this coming Sat & Sun. Lets hope they show a bit more for the clubs.......

Surely this isnt right, Galway will be due to play 6 days later on the 21st.

According to the gaa website:

Bank of Ireland Football Championship Qualifier Round 3
Connacht R/U v Rd 2 Winner
Munster R/U v Rd 2 Winner

magpie seanie

I'm back closer to planet earth to try and put a few words together about the actual game. Forgive me if the memory isn't 100% spot on but this is how I remember things.

First half was pretty good stuff. We started lively enough and Quinner got the trademark first point to set the tone for his fantastic personal display. Galway then looked very dangerous for a while and seemed to be cutting through with ease. Nicky Joyce was giving Jonny Davey the runaround and McGovern and McNamara were also struggling. Sligo stayed in touch and were helped by Meehan being moved from centre forward into FF. I hear that Forde had targetted Maguire as a weakness in Sligo's ranks - he should have known better. Our FB did misread a few high balls in the first period when on Meehan but recovered well to completely block out his opponents in second half. Anyway, I wasn't that happy with how loose we were for a good while in the first half and would have liked a more robust player marking Nicky Joyce (No offence to J. Davey but he hardly "puts the fear of God" into anyone which I thought was required). Anyhow, we were doing quite well in the possession stakes as the half wore on and played some good football at times. Then the goal came and what a strike it was. That put us in front and there we stayed for the rest of the game. At HT we were happy as we normally don't lead at this point.

Second half turned into a dog fight which suited us. Our backs just shut up shop turning over possession time and time again. Midfield was dominant and Forde cracked on the line making some bizarre decisions. Was delighted to see MM go off and Armstrong operating so far from goal. We continued to have the upper hand but missed too many straighforward chances, some of them unbelievable misses. Then we lost the legend and you feared it was going to be another hard luck story. Galway could have stolen a draw at the end which would have been a travesty in my book but one of our own making. Thankfully our backs held out one last time to keep Galway scoreless from play in the second half. When the whistle went it was just unreal. Got a great spot for the presentation and lapped up every minute of it.

As several people have mentioned there is loads of room for improvement. A few lads had quiet games but they worked their socks off for the team. Crucially we had strength on the bench like Sweeney, Doohan and Phillips to introduce. Felt a bit sorry for Marren having to take that free so soon after being introduced and to be quite honest I think it was a point (same umpire waved a similar effort from play by Nicky Joyce wide in first half so it balances out). Thought Harrison, Donovan, McNamara, Quinner were the main men. I know I'm biased but I thought Quinner was outstanding and should have got the nod for MOTM - he was simply outstanding throughout and just took over completely when O'Hara had to retire. McNamara actually had quite a good game and a superb second half, capped by the winner. Harrison cleaned Nicky Joyce when he was inexplicably moved in onto him and Donovan is just savage.

Winning this title is great but the voyage is not over. We're in the last 8 on merit and I know from speaking to the lads that they are far from finished. Not too many will fancy playing us and if they do maybe they shouldn't. We need to improve again though and be more clinical. The wide open spaces of Croker will suit us too and we will never lie down. The victory has been savoured but it's in the past now. Nice to be going through the front door to Croker once again. Bring it on!

SLIGONIAN

I echo everything you said. I was the stand side and j davey was getting roasted by joyce and Galway forwards were walking through our half back line. You'll be glad to know that quinn got man of the match in one of the papers yday and well deserved. Great leader, fielder and passer and point taker. Jees he was fantastic as he was in ros game. I bought 4 papers yday Donovan got man of the match in 2 mcnamara in 1 and quinn. Donovan was my man of the match the ball and courage he had to show and face was inspiring, as was quinns catches and he would be a close 2nd. People forget mcnamara kicked alot ball away 2 over sideline but it takes guts to keep trying and that pass to kelly was class. I thought kelly was brilliant yday aswell.

I have a few worries for next game. Sean Davey is he worth his place? Thought he was poor. We need a free taker on left hand side of field. I probably would of took off j davey but his 45 was crucial and he did settle better in 2nd half. Marrens free was inches wide. I was right behind and it just tale away a last second but a fine effort. To be honest most people in Sligo would have doubts about forde and hes an overated manager. Some of his positional switches help us big time. I dont really know where to start with the forward. McPartland was very impressive and kelly. Sweeney did well. Really think he merits a start. Why not? Egan was ok but did daft things. Brehony was subdue and too involved but kicked a lovely score. Curran quiet but always gives 100%. S Davey is due a big game. Very disappionted with him. That 15 yard free is nearly unforgivable in county football. Doohan was solid when came on. The strength in depth is there and the average age only 24 of the whole squad. Lets win more. Everyones workrate was class and Id like to thank all the players even the ones who had an off day for all the effort fight and heart shown yday.

Great hearing that the lads its only the begining and we are going to give ourselves the best possible chance in next game. We will be wild hard to beat. ;D
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

An Fhairche Abu

Congrats to Sligo, very well deserved, should have been out of sight at the end of the 70 minutes although I'm sure the pressure of 32 years of waiting was heavy on the free takers who missed the easy kicks.
Galway fans know all about liberation after 32 years and I'm genuinely delighted for all Sligo men and women this week, although I do wish that the wait had ended in a final against Roscommon or Mayo!

I wasn't at the game, but watched it in the pissing rain at Oxegen, the Galway performance was as miserable as the weather around me. It says it all when the 33 year old veteran Ja Fallon is the top point scorer from play and indeed was one of the few to emerge with reputation intact. P Joyce has been one of the best players in the country for a decade now and is certainly the finest player I've seen in the flesh wearing the maroon and white but he just wasn't at the races last Sunday, along with many other Galway players. We weren't up for it and Sligo were, it's as simple as that. When we beat Mayo I said that it wouldn't surprise me if they went further than us this summer, if they can get over Derry (a big if) then I would be confident enough that it'll happen. Galway need a miracle to come back again this summer, I'm confident enough that it won't happen. Full post mortems/knifes for Ford should be left until we are officially out of the championship, it shouldn't be too long I'm afraid.

As for anyone who has come on this thread just to have a pop at Galway, I'm not surprised tbh but disappointed, nothing should detract from a magnificent performance by Sligo, petty digs at Galway have no place on this thread which should be a celebration of what the Gaa is all about.

SLIGONIAN

First of all well said an fhairche abu.

A treat for all Sligo people this thursday ;D:

The Road to Croker with Des Cahill
10 July 2007

THE ROAD TO CROKER with Des Cahill is a brand new series that celebrates the grassroots of GAA while bringing viewers news on all the emerging national storylines of the 2007 Hurling and Football Championships - Thursdays at 8.00pm on RTÉ Two

Hosted by renowned sports broadcaster Des Cahill, the programme will be an entertaining mix of reviews and analysis, discussion and debate, colour and character.

As the GAA Championship season moves ever closer to its finale in Croke Park, Des will travel around the country with the show hosted each week from GAA clubs in all four provinces. Des together with a mixture of high profile guests and a studio audience made up of club members, will look at all of the main issues from the previous weekend's action.

The programme will feature snap shots from years gone by while also examining moments in the last 120 years when events in the GAA held a mirror to Ireland's social and political progress.

Each week Des and guests will be turning their attention to the upcoming weekend's big clashes, with expert predictions and tactical analysis as well as fun features including a celebrity tipster contest.

The series begins on Thursday July 12th on RTÉ Two at 8.00pm, with a look at the historic  Sligo win in the Connacht final. Sligo heroes Eamonn O'Hara and Kieran Quinn will be in studio to talk about their magnificent achievement. Des will also be discussing Waterford's win in the Munster Hurling final and taking a glance forward to the imminent Leinster Football Final in Croker, with guests Martin McHugh and Paul Bealin.

We'll be going behind the scenes at the Connacht Football Final and saying Happy Anniversary to the Louth All Ireland winners of 1957. Frank McNally will reflect on life as a Monaghan man in Dublin, as he looks forward to the Ulster football final between his native county and Tyrone.

This week Des and his guests, will be making themselves at home in St Oliver Plunkett's/Eoghan Ruadh in Dublin, where they will be keeping you up to date with all the latest issues and talking points from the world of Gaelic Games

Fear ón Srath Bán

Congratulations to Sligo, delighted for the Strabane-based team-doctor, Jim Gillespie, on his last year with the team. Great way to wind-up, regardless of what happens now.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Mano

Great performance on Sunday. Fair play to Sligonian for keeping us believing. I had my doubts but team selected and Sligonian kept me going. I fairness Sligonian you do get it wrong occassionally. Tony Taylor, Kieran Quinn and Michael McNamara have all proved you wrong over last few months. I think you should slag off Sean Davey prior to next game-he needs a kick up the behind and whoever you criticise seems to have a stormer in next game.

The lads behing the goals despite their banners and plastic implement were excellent and support in general was terrific. I can't say anymore-hopefully i will be able to string a few coherent sentences later in week.

SLIGONIAN

Your 100% right on taylor, quinn and mcnamara. I definitly was wrong and delighted they did so. But also please note that I did put my hands up and admit it!

I hope mcnamara proves me wrong to the extent quinn did. Quinn made me look a fool. Absolutely awesome performances. Delighted for him. Gent of a lad.

Theres is no doubt that Sean davey has alot more in him so it does hurt me to see how poor hes playing. Still I expect him to come good after breheny gives a kick up the arse.

I just had a gut feeling all week last week thatd we'd win. The strength in depth is there. I know I get things wrong sometimes but I predicted the write winning margin of ros game and now connaght final so lets hope I get next right aswell. Cant seem to do any work today.

The amount of goodwill to Sligo on this message board and hoganstand is unbelievable and its from rivals and counties weve beaten which makes all the more honest and heart warming. Thanks everyone.

Greenabovethered

Firstly absolutely delighted for Sligo. My old buck wore the black and white for a number of years many moons ago and always have a soft spot for them.

Was driving bak to Dublin last week and Ocean FM kept replying the commentary from the last minute of the match and Maguire's speech.

Watched the game again on Setanta last night;

Quinn was amazing and caught some great balls

On Sunday i thought, Davey, Curran and Egan had poor games but they scrapped for every ball in the middle and never let Galway get anything easy.

2 corner backs were awesome

Not taking anything away from Sligo but Galway were putrid