Peace, power-sharing, prosperity....and paraphernalia

Started by Fiodoir Ard Mhacha, June 26, 2007, 08:51:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GweylTah

Mentalman, I'll quote other examples if you like, those came very readily to mind.  In any case I didn't say the Republic was intolerant, I suggested it could be more tolerant and wasn't nearly as intolerant as a lot of the extremist Irish nationalists on this board would make you think, I know the board isn't representative.

Why not read and digest what's written rather than what you want to see and moan about?

SammyG

Quote from: Donagh on June 26, 2007, 06:06:06 PM
Quote from: SammyG on June 26, 2007, 03:57:50 PM

Hardly any different from your 'it's all the prods fault'.

I challenge you to find even one post where I've ever blamed anything on the "prods".

Your post at 2:16 said
QuotePresumably this longstanding tradition of littering the place with sectarian rags dates back before the last years Hunger Strike commemoration.

Apologies if you were talking about non-Prod 'sectarian rags' but that was how I read it.

Donagh

Quote from: SammyG on June 26, 2007, 07:25:57 PM

I challenge you to find even one post where I've ever blamed anything on the "prods".

Your post at 2:16 said
QuotePresumably this longstanding tradition of littering the place with sectarian rags dates back before the last years Hunger Strike commemoration.

Apologies if you were talking about non-Prod 'sectarian rags' but that was how I read it.

That was in response to dickheads post where he mentioned "loyalists". I have never associated one with the other, and take offence to the suggestion that I do or have done on any post I have ever made on this board.

SammyG

Quote from: Donagh on June 26, 2007, 07:41:15 PMThat was in response to dickheads post where he mentioned "loyalists". I have never associated one with the other, and take offence to the suggestion that I do or have done on any post I have ever made on this board.

I'm not sure what point your making. You said:

Taig flags and paraphenalia - good
Prod flags and paraphenalia - sectarian rags

Or am I missing something?

deiseach

Quote from: GweylTah on June 26, 2007, 02:14:25 PM
The thing is, a lot of loyalists appear to see the GAA and all of its trappings as nationalist 'version' of the OO, even if the comparison isn't accurate.

And yet you keep bringing it up. Funny, that.

Donagh

Quote from: SammyG on June 26, 2007, 07:47:16 PM

Sammy get the fu*k out of here, I never said anything of the sort. Coming from the man who asks for evidence that the sun rises every morning your reply is hilarious.

SammyG

Quote from: Donagh on June 26, 2007, 08:07:26 PM
Quote from: SammyG on June 26, 2007, 07:47:16 PM

Sammy get the fu*k out of here, I never said anything of the sort. Coming from the man who asks for evidence that the sun rises every morning your reply is hilarious.
Happy to apologise if I mis-interpreted your comment but I can't see any other way to read it. What did you mean if it's not what I said?

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Quote from: Mentalman on June 26, 2007, 04:37:20 PM

As for Love Ulster, it got the reaction it sought unfortunately. Mostly from scumbags who have little understanding or appreciation of the society they live in, never mind it's history, except perhaps the sort they heard about from the Wolftones in the Celtic Symphony. As for Love Ulster II I think a lot of people in the Republic wish they would have their march and be quietly ignored by the rest of us getting on with our lives, but as that is not possible we remain to be convinced why public safety should be jepordised, tax payers money spent on the event, and the centre of the largest city on the island ground to a halt - it's not Belfast on the 12th you know :)  It's a balance of civil liberties versus the greater good, it happens every day.

Love Ulster was a provocation whether it occured in Dublin or Belfast - Willie Frazer arriving on the streets of the capital with a full loyalist flute band and rent-a-mob - did they really expect tolerance or acquiescence, a round of applause from supporting Dublin shoppers, hoards of rosey-cheeked kids waving Union flags?

Now, why should Belfast city centre be subjected to this, each and every year, as are so many town centres across the north - and by the way, they don't just march on 12th July.

Your post smacks of NIMBYISM.
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

Mentalman

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on June 27, 2007, 08:03:54 AM

As for Love Ulster, it got the reaction it sought unfortunately. Mostly from scumbags who have little understanding or appreciation of the society they live in, never mind it's history, except perhaps the sort they heard about from the Wolftones in the Celtic Symphony. As for Love Ulster II I think a lot of people in the Republic wish they would have their march and be quietly ignored by the rest of us getting on with our lives, but as that is not possible we remain to be convinced why public safety should be jepordised, tax payers money spent on the event, and the centre of the largest city on the island ground to a halt - it's not Belfast on the 12th you know :)  It's a balance of civil liberties versus the greater good, it happens every day.

Love Ulster was a provocation whether it occured in Dublin or Belfast - Willie Frazer arriving on the streets of the capital with a full loyalist flute band and rent-a-mob - did they really expect tolerance or acquiescence, a round of applause from supporting Dublin shoppers, hoards of rosey-cheeked kids waving Union flags?

Now, why should Belfast city centre be subjected to this, each and every year, as are so many town centres across the north - and by the way, they don't just march on 12th July.

Keep your Alan Wickers on FAM, it was a crack at the bullsh!t that goes on around marching north of the border. Not that I understand the NIMBY remark anyway. I already stated that if they could march and be ignored that would be fine, but hardly likely. You have provocative marches forced down your throat in the North so people in the South should take it too?
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Mentalman on June 27, 2007, 10:18:09 AM

Keep your Alan Wickers on FAM, it was a crack at the bullsh!t that goes on around marching north of the border. Not that I understand the NIMBY remark anyway. I already stated that if they could march and be ignored that would be fine, but hardly likely. You have provocative marches forced down your throat in the North so people in the South should take it too?

Thats not what he's saying Mentalman, he is saying that NO-ONE should have these marches shoved down their throats!

If the idiots and bigots want to march, then let them march where their wanted - not as is the case, where they can cause the maximum annoyance, controversy and trouble.
Tbc....

Mentalman

Quote from: GweylTah on June 26, 2007, 07:22:57 PM
Mentalman, I'll quote other examples if you like, those came very readily to mind.

If you feel the need, seeing as at least one of the other two was complete BS,

In any case I didn't say the Republic was intolerant, I suggested it could be more tolerant and wasn't nearly as intolerant as a lot of the extremist Irish nationalists on this board would make you think, I know the board isn't representative.

No you picked two examples of intolerance, to counter a claim that in general people south of the border don't give a flying fig. One of those is well known to us all, and as I pointed out got the reaction it sought, and I refuted it as hardly typical of the general attitude of society in the 26 counties. The other example was one I can't find any reports about online, but I take you at your word. And I simply countered with another well known example of tolerance and what I think is exemplary of the growth of Irish society in general, However my proviso meant that such events are never quite as simple as they appear.

Why not read and digest what's written rather than what you want to see and moan about?

Woh Tinky Winky, take it easy with that handbag! You'll have me eye out!

Got a problem with your own methods being used against you? Refuting general sentiments with specific examples, which in general works, except Love Ulster is a really bad example to use. When those are debunked you decide to tackle the man not the ball? And yes, hence the Teletubby remark.

What's sauce for the goose....

Donagh

Quote from: SammyG on June 26, 2007, 08:38:03 PM
Happy to apologise if I mis-interpreted your comment but I can't see any other way to read it. What did you mean if it's not what I said?

Sammy before insulting someone you should have had the good grace as to enquire as to what they mean rather than after.

You said "Hardly any different from your 'it's all the prods fault'." Now as you haven't even been able to find an instance where I've used the word 'prods' never mind blamed them for anything, please have the good manners to apologise for your insulting remark.

Mentalman

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on June 27, 2007, 10:38:03 AM
Quote from: Mentalman on June 27, 2007, 10:18:09 AM

Thats not what he's saying Mentalman, he is saying that NO-ONE should have these marches shoved down their throats!

If the idiots and bigots want to march, then let them march where their wanted - not as is the case, where they can cause the maximum annoyance, controversy and trouble.

Cool, I think we just misinterpreted each other. My remark about Belfast was not of the nature of "it's OK up there", it's more of the nature no one has a God given right to march without regard to the provocation or public safety issues it causes, especially with regard to the intent of the march.

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

NIMBYism - i.e. Not In My Back Yard, the point being, from what I had read, that's it's OK to march all year long as long as it's somewhere 'up in the north' - but your subsequent posting clarifies what you meant.

The point still stands - time to review OO marches in commercial areas. I've never marched with the Hibs, nor am I a member so I have no idea what their 'marching season' is, or how much disruption it causes in loyalist areas or town centres.
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

stew

More lies from wee samuel, he cannot help himself Donagh, don't worry about him.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.