Jarlath Burns Views on the Politics of the Maze Stadium

Started by SammyG, June 25, 2007, 11:25:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nifan

foxcommander

Quote from: orangeman on September 05, 2014, 05:58:31 PM
http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/gaelic-football-pundit-defends-decision-to-bring-catholic-school-students-to-gay-pride-parade-30564960.html

Not sure if it's an appropriate place to bring schoolkids (Still preferable to Orangefest mind you)

Similarly - I see the PC brigade in New York have forced through their wishes on the St Patrick's day parade.
I thought it was supposed to be a celebration of Irishness...I guess Guinness dictate otherwise they'll pull funding.

The Simpsons will need to change one of their episodes now!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mKEyK11GRU
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Gabriel_Hurl

Are gay Irish people not allowed to celebrate St Paddys as well?  ::)

foxcommander

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on September 05, 2014, 09:25:54 PM

Of course they are but why the need to segregate yourself out by sexual orientation?
Isn't that what the pride parades are for?

Policemen, Firemen, Army etc are all professions which have a history of irish people serving.
You have irish dancers, athletes of all sorts, musicians, artists etc who want to show off their irish heritage.

I'm not sure if I applied to march being a fat, boring, lazy slob who happens to have irish roots would get me a spot in the parade either... shouldn't it be about what you've done with your life rather just being born a certain way. I certainly don't expect special treatment because I think i'm special - or then go bitch to the courts to force them to let me in.

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: foxcommander on September 05, 2014, 09:35:41 PM

Of course they are but why the need to segregate yourself out by sexual orientation?

Policemen, Firemen, Army etc are all professions which have a history of irish people serving.
You have irish dancers, athletes of all sorts, musicians, artists etc who want to show off their irish heritage.

I'm not sure if I applied to march being a fat, boring, lazy slob who happens to have irish roots would get me a spot in the parade either... shouldn't it be about what you've done with your life rather just being born a certain way. I certainly don't expect special treatment because I think i'm special - or then go bitch to the courts to force them to let me in.

You have segregated people by their occupation and nationality in your message so why not sexual orientation?

foxcommander

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on September 05, 2014, 09:56:43 PM

You have segregated people by their occupation and nationality in your message so why not sexual orientation?

Nationality for obvious reasons otherwise you wouldn't have a parade. Duh!

You have heard all the arguments over the years about not singling people out due to their orientation and to accept people for who they are. Doesn't this seem to fly in the face of those wishes?

In my opinion it's mischief making and using the St Patricks Day parade as it's vehicle. Shame on them.

Sidney

That's easy. The reason gay people still feel the need to organise pride marches is because of i) the long history of discrimination and prejudice against them, and because ii) that discrimination and prejudice still very much exists today.

In relation to ii), you only have to read back over own posts to know that.

Over the Bar

Pride.....in the name of love...or not.... as the case may be!

BennyCake

Why do gays have their own march? Surely that's discrimination against straight people?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: BennyCake on September 06, 2014, 12:15:57 AM
Why do gays have their own march? Surely that's discrimination against straight people?
Sure all those straight people in the Loyal Orders march every other day

BennyCake

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 06, 2014, 12:17:58 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on September 06, 2014, 12:15:57 AM
Sure all those straight people in the Loyal Orders march every other day

Yes but what about the Catholics?

Eamonnca1

Quote from: foxcommander on September 05, 2014, 08:51:54 PM
Quote from: orangeman on September 05, 2014, 05:58:31 PM
http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/gaelic-football-pundit-defends-decision-to-bring-catholic-school-students-to-gay-pride-parade-30564960.html

Not sure if it's an appropriate place to bring schoolkids (Still preferable to Orangefest mind you)

Similarly - I see the PC brigade in New York have forced through their wishes on the St Patrick's day parade.
I thought it was supposed to be a celebration of Irishness...I guess Guinness dictate otherwise they'll pull funding.

The Simpsons will need to change one of their episodes now!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mKEyK11GRU

Gays have been taking part in the San Francisco St Paddy's Day parade for years and the world hasn't fallen apart. Get over yourself.

foxcommander

Quote from: Sidney on September 05, 2014, 10:13:08 PM

That's easy. The reason gay people still feel the need to organise pride marches is because of i) the long history of discrimination and prejudice against them, and because ii) that discrimination and prejudice still very much exists today.

In relation to ii), you only have to read back over own posts to know that.

I never said there shouldn't be pride marches. Of course there should be. Similarly I have no objection to gay people in a st patricks day parade. Why would there be?
I'm objecting to a parade of irishness being overtaken to suit a different agenda which has nothing to do with the topic. I dislike the fact that the st patricks day parade has been beaten into submission to suit that agenda and nearly ruined it financially into the bargain which would have stopped the celebration for everyone.
They in the end had to bow down to pressure from corporations because it wasn't "politically correct" and to save it's existence.
That's selfish and manpulative in my book

Eamonn - get over nothing.

stew

Are gay Iriy hat eople not allowed to celebrate St Paddys as well?  ::)

Why do these people have to bring their homosexuality to an irish parade?

Can gay irish people not simply celebrate st Patrick's day like the heterosexuals do? Or is that too much to ask?

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.