Ulster Minor Final - Derry v Tyrone

Started by ONeill, June 25, 2007, 11:19:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

what's the draw for the Quarter Finals now?

edit: doesn't matter - found it

orangeman

You're right ! What the hell was he doing there ? This Good Friday agreement thing is just mad - the Sinners and DUP are really taking the piss now ! There's a rumour that Paisley rang Mickey Harte last week and Mickey has asked him to be assistant manager  - he'll be along the line for the quater final - And if that's not bad enough, Fr. G. Mc Aleer is being joined by Rev. Mc Crea  !!!!

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on July 16, 2007, 07:13:48 PM
I've found that the best position to be at is to take two-three side steps out from the post and then two steps back.

I thought that would be obvious to most people but you still see umpires rooted to the post when a ball is sailing over the bar. To give yourself any hope at all you have to take yourself back a few yards so you're at least in a better position to judge.

I think you can forgive umpires on the odd occasion when a ball sails high over a post because they can be hard to judge at the best of times but the one in the Tyrone/Derry minor game was a joke. The ball was only a yard higher than the crossbar. How that was missed is beyond me.

Fear ón Srath Bán

All that's needed there is a degree of mobility, just to manouevre yourself as the ball's coming in. If you're physically incapable of being that dynamic, then you should not be umpiring.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Rossfan

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 16, 2007, 07:36:39 PM
All that's needed there is a degree of mobility, just to manouevre yourself as the ball's coming in. If you're physically incapable of being that dynamic, then you should not be umpiring.

3 Requirements for umpires -
- Friend of Ref
- bad Eyesight
- large girth so white coat can just about button over it.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

orangeman

I saw an umpire in Healy Park and Croke Park last year ( the same guy ) and they had to delay the throw in to allow him time to get to the top goals, he was that big !

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Rossfan on July 16, 2007, 08:37:23 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 16, 2007, 07:36:39 PM

3 Requirements for umpires -
- Friend of Ref
- bad Eyesight
- large girth so white coat can just about button over it.

;D ;D

Bogball XV

The high looping ones aren't too bad, it's the more driven shots that are the problem - if it's from 20-30yds, you don't get time to get into position behind the goals, if it's close to the post you're standing at, forget it - I think you just have to look at the reaction of the players (you'll at least be able to see the genuine reaction on their faces as soon as the shot is taken).
Another thing I saw recently, was the suggestion that the posts be a different colour than the ball, and that's a pretty good idea imo.

Norf Tyrone

Here's an idea re yesterday.

I think replying the game would be a bad move for both sides, as it would inflict another tough game on both prior to the QF series. Therefore why don't both teams advance as is, however ask the Ulster Council for permission to reply the game to decide the 2007 Ulster champions after the AI final, or if both teams have been eliminated.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Take Your Points on July 16, 2007, 09:56:32 PM
Another game could fit into the space between now and the quarter finals and would be better than a challenge game or training.  However, any more injuries would be a major problem.

That would be the danger, and too big a risk (for both teams) at this stage I feel.

johnpower

feel sorry for Derry but they will have to move on . Umpires need to improve . a few weeks ago we had in Killarney this is going to happen at another game soon , I have done the job at club matches and it is harder than I thouht it would be as the natural inclination is to watch the game as a spectator

Norf Tyrone

What's the QF draw, and when are they being played?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Elias

Having just seen the replay of the wide that wasn't, what course of action is open to Derry?

Can a replay be ordered from above?

Elias

Quote from: Mac Eoghain on July 16, 2007, 10:46:58 PM
QuoteCan a replay be ordered from above?

An emphatic no

Then why are Derry appealing?

ONeill

Quote from: Elias on July 16, 2007, 10:51:56 PM
Quote from: Mac Eoghain on July 16, 2007, 10:46:58 PM
QuoteCan a replay be ordered from above?

An emphatic no

Then why are Derry appealing?

Cos they're afeard Paddy Heaney will lambaste them.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.