Sure just leave the gate open…

Started by Donagh, June 25, 2007, 10:11:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Just looking at the 'your comments' page in the BBC news website on the end of Operation Banner is an education in itself at the ignorance, arrogance and stupidity of casual onlookers from around Britain, and further afield about this place.

Mind, it also does smack of OWC at times....

I wish Ireland well now that 'peace' has at last been given a chance. However, the Irish under Catholic rule was poverty stricken and their recent new found wealth has been achieved by EU funds being poured into the country. Ireland should curtail the influence of the Catholic Church and become more secular. As always the people running Northern Ireland have blood on their hands and should be kicked out.
Tip Hendry, Wentworthville, Australia

I did a tour of Ulster when Gerry Adams was heading up the provos in South Belfast.
I have seen friends die and enemies turn into 'statesmen.' Ironic for a Catholic of Irish descent.
All I can say is that I'm glad it's over.
Westernmac, United Kingdom

being of northern irish decent and having family in northern ireland i cannot believe that commenttry on here would rewrite history.
Ulster, by demopcratic vote chose to remain part of the UK.
PIRA however decided that this was not to be allowed and started a campaign of terror on the protestant population (and on any catholic who did not toe the line) This led to a backlash from the UVF which led to demands that the UK protect the catholic minority - hence the troop deployment.
As for Ulster to reunite with Eire, Considering Eire was part of the UK this would bring Eire back to the UK as we never "stole" ulster from
the south
- the south voted to break away from the north
john davis, Motherwell, United Kingdom

As an ex soldier who served in 1974,75,76 and 1980,81 and 82 in Belfast and South Armagh I wonder what we were doing there.Paramilitary leaders[Terrorists in my view] are now politicians in control.We were badly let down by politicians who would not let us do the job properly. There was a military solution once but the Labour government of the day was scared of annoying the Americans, of course now the Yanks know the meaning of terror attacks. The Irish should be grateful it was British troops and not Americans who served there! For those sceptics out there read your history. There never was a united Ireland, just warring tribes, one of which asked for English help 1168 Diarmuid MacMorrough
veryexpongoplod

Can't see the bigots and the bombers ever living in harmony for very long! They deserve each other!
Roy Hills, Eastbourne, United Kingdom - thanks, you moron

Most of the really controversial incidents involving the British army, including 'Bloody Sunmday,' occured early in the 'troubles'. The army was trained to fight a 'regular' war, and it took years of experience to develop a force able to operate effectively in Norethern Ireland. The professionalism with which our army conducts itself today in Iraq and Afganistan is the legacy of that experience. If the army had not been able to learn from Bloody Sunday and and other crisis, and thereby prevent an open war from developing, the settlement in Northern Ireland could never have happened.
Ralph Cook, Barking, United Kingdom
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

More OWC type postings in this Beeb 'Have your say' page:

I would like to point out there are far more reasons to many people wishing to remain part of the UK than simply 'sectarianism'. I support NI being in the UK mainly for economic reasons and also, there has recently been a survey to suggest that many Catholics would not want a United Ireland. It is also interesting to see the views from the rest of Ireland in the Republic- many aren't keen to have NI to deal with. If Ireland was united, think of the consequences - adjusting to the Euro, changing road signs to kilometres etc. Is it worth it?
Quote from: Fiodoir Ard MhachaJesus H almighty
I have moderate views, but do you think extreme Loyalists won't oppose it to potentially restart the Troubles?
Anon, Lisburn, Northern Ireland

Ireland is united. Northern Ireland is part of the UK and remains that way until the people of NI and the Irish Republic, jointly, decide otherwise - try reading the Good Friday Agreement. Those in HYS banging on about united Ireland, including Republicans who insist on calling our country "The North of Ireland" are ignoring the will of the majority both in NI and in Eire (remember the majority vote in Ireland to amend the constitution to drop the claim to NI?).
Dave, Moira, N. Ireland UK

Does it really annoy 'moderate' Unionists when this place is called the north of Ireland? Note, this guy Dave still signs himself off as N. Ireland UK. Are people in Scotland or Wales as fervent, to the point of ad nauseum, of reiterating that they are in the UK. I don't know.

pintsofguinness

QuoteIf Ireland was united, think of the consequences - adjusting to the Euro, changing road signs to kilometres etc. Is it worth it?
:)
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on July 31, 2007, 02:53:01 PM
Does it really annoy 'moderate' Unionists when this place is called the north of Ireland?

Totally, a grave, grave sin only surpassed by calling football soccer!

/Jim.

SammyG

More OWC type postings in this Beeb 'Have your say' page:

Where have you seen any of these type of postings on OWC?
Does it really annoy 'moderate' Unionists when this place is called the north of Ireland?

It is extremely annoying, pathetic politicing of the worst kind. The north of Ireland is a region, Northern Ireland is a country/province/failed sectarian statelet* within that region. You wouldn't dream of calling Canada the north of America, so why do the same to NI?

*delete as appropriate

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Dear oh dear, sammy.

Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers.

OWC type as in the kind of postings I see in the gaaboard from members who are avowedly in favour of maintaining the n.i. status quo within the UK. No reference to the soccer team who play for this part of the island, believe me.

As for the north of Ireland - parity of esteem, pal, when it comes to how this part of the world is identified in common parlance.

PS It's not a country, being a province is questionable (what IS a province in the context of the UK?), failed statelet is a quote by Gerry Adams. If it's anything, it'd be a region within the UK.

magpie seanie

QuoteYou wouldn't dream of calling Canada the north of America, so why do the same to NI?

Are you comparing Canada to NI? Seriously?

MW

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on July 31, 2007, 04:47:20 PMAs for the north of Ireland - parity of esteem, pal, when it comes to how this part of the world is identified in common parlance.

Is Donegal in the north of Ireland?

PS It's not a country, being a province is questionable (what IS a province in the context of the UK?), failed statelet is a quote by Gerry Adams. If it's anything, it'd be a region within the UK.

Northern Ireland is referred to as a country in plenty of UK legislation (like Scotland, England and Wales are).

SammyG

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 31, 2007, 04:48:27 PM
QuoteYou wouldn't dream of calling Canada the north of America, so why do the same to NI?

Are you comparing Canada to NI? Seriously?

In this context yes. NI is one component of a larger island, in the same way that Canada is one component of a (much) larger island.

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Quote from: MW on July 31, 2007, 05:08:17 PM

Is Donegal in the north of Ireland?

Northern Ireland is referred to as a country in plenty of UK legislation (like Scotland, England and Wales are).

Yeah, it is. Oh no! Should it be in the UK too, then. I prefer North-East Ireland, at a push. I mean, it worked for Namibia.

No, I like region better. Country gives it an over-blown status that I don't think the place warrants. But then again, I am a fan of regionalisation.