Kerry v Cork - Munster Final

Started by Kerry Mike, June 25, 2007, 09:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clarshack

the standard of refereeing and umpiring in this game left a lot to be desired. where do they get these muppets from?

Datsun Donaghy

QuoteI expect Kerry to win comfortably!

Apologies to all you Cork folk - Kerry may have won, but it was far from comfortable.  In the end, you were robbed by one of the finest displays of refereeing incompetence any Ulsterman will hope to witness this year!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: 5iveTimes on July 01, 2007, 09:50:38 PM
I didnt see all the game today, but how did the referee rob cork?

Blatant pull on a Cork jersey, penalty denied, whereupon Kerry went straight up and scored the first of two decisive points in injury time.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

johnpower

Was the ref playing advantage after the Donegal Tyrone game where the ball hit the net and he gave the penalty which as we all know they missed .

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: johnpower on July 01, 2007, 10:18:06 PM
Was the ref playing advantage after the Donegal Tyrone game where the ball hit the net and he gave the penalty which as we all know they missed .

Not making a judgement there JP, simply stating what could be seen as incompetence on the referee's part, though the jersey was still being pulled as the ball was being struck. So technically, advantage doesn't come into it. And, by the way, I think that call in the Donegal-Tyrone game was wrong too, the goal should have stood.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

johnpower

just saw it a definite penalty . that boy cussan looks good

Hardy

Referees can't win. He clearly allowed the advantage as the player was clean through and about to shoot. If he had blown the whistle and the ball had gone into the net and the penalty had been missed, there would have been an outcry as well. You can't have it both ways and there's no provision for calling back the play after an advantage is given. There should be, but there isn't and the referee was 100% correct in this case.

David McKeown

Disagree Hardy we are assuming hes giving advantage however from his reaction I think the ref some how doesnt register that a foul is taking place either because he cant see it properly or else doesnt think its a foul.  In either case he is in the wrong and it should be a penalty but thats the way the biscuit disintegrates.  What I will say is I dont think that the penalty should have been given simply because the shot was missed but because there was no advantage is shooting whilst being pulled back over a peanlty kick
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Billys Boots

Quoteit was a great goal by Cork.

I thought that goal should have been disallowed, when Masters (??) passed the ball to O'Connor he followed up and took out O'Connor's marker (Reidy) before O'Connor scored - should have been a free-out.  The penalty 'miss' was karma!  Kerry should have won by six, they were that much better, but allowed Cork back into it at midfield in the last quarter.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Dinny Breen

QuoteI thought that goal should have been disallowed, when Masters (??) passed the ball to O'Connor he followed up and took out O'Connor's marker (Reidy) before O'Connor scored - should have been a free-out.

That would have harsh as I thought he gave a nice off-load and held his line and just braced himself for contact. Showed good strength imho...l
#newbridgeornowhere

MauriceMalpas

He should have fallen over or taken his point. It was an awful miss even with the tug.

The fact that Reidy was shouldered straight on has been overlooked, mind you I dont think he would got to him in time.

imtommygunn

The problem for Cork was that they came into it in midfield in the second half when they moved Cussen out but then because they'd moved Cussen out they didn't have the option left inside.

The ref. couldn't see the penalty as they showed on the sunday game.

Cork have some decent defenders and Murphy, Kavanagh, Cussen and Masters are pretty good but that aside they have a load of forwards who are round the same level and are just not much better than half decent county forwards.

Hardy

I didn't see The Sunday Game (I tend to avoid it now, it's so bad), so didn't know that it showed the ref couldn't see it. In my opinion, if a reasonable ref had seen it, it could have gone either way - penalty or advantage. And either way, if the goal was missed, a significant proportion of people would be crying outrage. My opinion is that the pull back didn't have any serious effect on the shot. It was just a bad attempt to place the ball.

lynchbhoy

I'd differ with you billy on how I saw the game.
I didnt rate Cork before this game and I have to say that I now think they are dark horses for the AI - as long as they avoid injuries.
Certainly thought that they were asleep for large parts of the first half and then again for the start of the second half. Then they upped their game and imo controlled it - not easy against the wind either.
I thought they were the better side, but Kerrys greater experience won it for them.

Dont think it was a third man tackle for Corks goal - the man passed the ball and didnt move from that line - the kerry defender was running directly at him , so not a third man tackle, but not a correct shoulder charge. Kerry defender cant really complain.

Also thought the ref should have given a penalty - but if he didnt see the incident, then he cant be faulted.
Little fouls like that tug are part and parcel of the game.

Galvin and that cork defender were both luck not to get sent off for kicking. Galvin swung his foot back and got the def in the shin with his heel - and the cork def retaliated with a very obv kick !
:o

Hardy

TBH, what swung the penalty issue for me was the fact that Statler and Waldorf in the RTÉ commentary box were 100% sure it was a cast iron penalty. That was enough to convince me the opposite had to be the truth   :)

Has a worse pair of muppets ever been unleashed on the viewing/listening public? One sample of their 'banter' that I remember (paraphrasing):

Carney - Cork should play it out wide more, instead of going down the centre all the time. They should use the width of the picth.
Marty - So in other words Martin, you're saying Cork should use the wings more.
Carney - As they used to say "use the wings!".
Marty - "Use the wings, Ha Ha."

JHC!