Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: ONeill on October 23, 2014, 12:00:41 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/11177441/65-best-and-worst-decisions-of-Arsene-Wengers-career.html

Contradictory

Item 22 is given a thumbs down, but the description is almost entirely complimentary
QuoteOne of Wenger's great feats was to stay so competitive with Chelsea, Manchester United, Liverpool and Manchester City while virtually breaking even in his net transfer spend. His refusal to "just pay the fee" if he thought that fee was excessive might have been deeply frustrating and sometimes counter-productive but it has helped lay wonderful foundations for his successor.

Item 32 he is given a thumbs down for not winning ugly - but in item 44 they give a thumbs down for playing for penalties in a game they won!

Damned if you do.......
Hasta la victoria siempre

mrdeeds

Kos out for four weeks at least. Would prefer to see Chambers centre half rather than Monreal with Bellerin right back. Hayden should get a chance to. Van Gaal not afraid to give youth a chance with Mc Nair.

ONeill

Sunderland hurting from last week. Gonna be 0-0.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

mrdeeds

Wouldn't disagree. If the players showed some intensity like Sanchez might help. Mertesaker right we need to mix it up sometimes too. This ponderous passing on edge of box needs to stop.

ONeill

Nice little back pass from Wesley Brown there.

https://vine.co/v/OhFAQ0v3Bhw

ONeill

mrdeeds

Syferus

Five goals in eight EPL games - some luxury purchase Sanchez is alright.

mrdeeds

It's not just goals. Assists, distance covered, workrate. I've never seen a player work so hard with that talent. Like Kuyt but more talented. Clean sheet was another bonus.

rodney trotter

It was idiotic to call Sanchez a luxury purchase.

tyroneman

Sanchez is doing well at the minute, probably the only Arsenal player showing consistency at a high level - however the fact remains Arsenal currently look no better than they were in the 2013 /14 season - still being comfortably beaten by the big teams and still as far away from the EPL and CL as they were last year (and the year before, and the year before).

If money was no object and Arsenal had no glaring problems sure - buy players like Sanchez to put the icing on the cake and give yet another attacking option  - however the point being made is that a commanding CH and a top class DMF were by far the bigger priorities this year.

If there was a budget however and other purchases were negatively affected by the 35mill shelled out - then Sanchez was a 'luxury' buy  - becasue he came at the expense of the aforementioned 2 key areas of need to add to an area where Arsenal were already ok.

screenexile

Quote from: tyroneman on October 27, 2014, 07:38:26 PM
Sanchez is doing well at the minute, probably the only Arsenal player showing consistency at a high level - however the fact remains Arsenal currently look no better than they were in the 2013 /14 season - still being comfortably beaten by the big teams and still as far away from the EPL and CL as they were last year (and the year before, and the year before).

If money was no object and Arsenal had no glaring problems sure - buy players like Sanchez to put the icing on the cake and give yet another attacking option  - however the point being made is that a commanding CH and a top class DMF were by far the bigger priorities this year.

If there was a budget however and other purchases were negatively affected by the 35mill shelled out - then Sanchez was a 'luxury' buy  - becasue he came at the expense of the aforementioned 2 key areas of need to add to an area where Arsenal were already ok.

Matic would have been an ideal purchase for Arsenal!!

mrdeeds

Wenger said he tried to buy a centre half but couldn't find a suitable one. Utd struggled too to find one. Need an upgrade on holding midfielder but Sanchez is an upgrade on the attacking options.

Syferus

When Luke Shaw is worth the bones of 30 million sterling and the paperweight defender that is David Luiz going for 50 million how much do you think a top class CB would be? We're just in an age where defenders of substance are very rare, even for teams with an unlimited bankroll. John Terry still battling away at the heart of the best EPL team tells you that.