Leitrim V Donegal

Started by J70, June 24, 2007, 06:32:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

First ever championship meeting. League meetings have been scarce enough in recent years too, although if I remember correctly there was a draw last season?

Presumably this will be in Carrick-on-Shannon. Leitrim looked well up for the game today and got some nice scores, so Donegal would not want to go out with the wrong attitude, especially after last week's hammering. That Maxwell fella especially looks a good player.

Should be a bit of craic around Ballyshannon and Bundoran over the next week or two!

45GoneShort

It'll definitely be in Carrick on Saturday week as the Connacht Final is on Sunday week.  Should be a good game with a big crowd just like in Ballyshannon last year for the draw in the league.  What is the status with the two/three lads who were sent off in the Tyrone game are they suspended???? Leitrim have never won a qualifier game but home advantage is going to be massive.

J70

McFadden will be absent for this game at least. McMenamin got two yellows, so, unless he gets the line playing for Termon in the meantime, he'll be available, and will presumably start in the full-forward line with Devenney.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: J70 on June 24, 2007, 09:05:25 PM
McFadden will be absent for this game at least. McMenamin got two yellows, so, unless he gets the line playing for Termon in the meantime, he'll be available, and will presumably start in the full-forward line with Devenney.

Would have thought that McFadden would be looking at a couple of matches suspension?

As for the Lietrim match not sure if it's a blessing or a curse...!  ???
Tbc....

J70

Barry Dunnion will be out for about a month after a hernia operation. Big blow for us.

Gives McIvor an opportunity to move Cassidy back to the wing, if he wants to change things at midfield, although who he would bring in is the question. Stephen McDermott, after all the promise of '03, just hasn't done it at county level in the last few years. Maybe Ciaran Bonner would be worth a shot - himself and Neil Gallagher often play midfield together for their club. Christy Toye will be available as he's over the chicken pox, so he could take Bonner's place. McIvor may also leave things as they are and start with Eamon McGee at left wing-back again, but that middle eight was a disaster against Tyrone.

Could be a very difficult game for us without McFadden and Dunnion and possibly Hegarty.

J70

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on June 25, 2007, 10:49:50 AM
Quote from: J70 on June 24, 2007, 09:05:25 PM

Would have thought that McFadden would be looking at a couple of matches suspension?

When is McFadden's case up? He'll get at least a month, which will probably be at least two matches, if we beat Leitrim.

aodhruadh

I also heard a rumour that Devenney is not in good shape, no idea if its true.

Certainly wont be easy v Leitrim. McFadden must feel like a right tulip.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Still can't understand what was going through McFaddens head at the time!
Tbc....

pairc sean

Yeah - he's going to be a huge loss for you guys, especially as I think we'd have had problems coping with him in the air - we have an excellent full back line, but height wouldn't be their strongest point.

We've never won a game in the qualifiers, but that has to change someday! Also, I don't think Leitrim would have the same mental hang up about Donegal as they would have about the colour of the Galway or Mayo jersies for some reason....

It'll be a very interesting game, no doubt about it

J70

Quote from: aodhruadh on June 27, 2007, 07:31:20 AM
I also heard a rumour that Devenney is not in good shape, no idea if its true.

He played for Eunan's against Glenties at the weekend.

J70

The second legs of the club championship ties are on this Saturday evening. Let's hope all the boys make it through, but the odds are that probably at least one or two are going to pick up knocks, which we don't need with Dunnion and McFadden definitely out.

Fishead_Sam

I'm going to stick €20 on Leitrim to pull it off. I reckon if they keep the score very low then they can win a battle of wills, but if it becomes a shooting match they could be in trouble.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on June 27, 2007, 10:42:24 AM
Still can't understand what was going through McFaddens head at the time!

Humiliation!  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

J70

McIver would prefer a different club championship format
28 June 2007

Ahead of their All-Ireland Qualifier against Leitrim on Saturday, 7th of July in Carrick-on-Shannon, Donegal team-manager Brian McIver didn't sound at all convinced that his players would benefit from their club championship programme.

"We had club championship last week-end and we have club championship action again this week-end,'' he added.

"This means that Donegal players who were involved in the Tyrone Ulster SFC semi-final will be involved in their fourth championship on the trot when they take on Leitrim.''

McIver revealed that he hasn't met his county players since their defeat by Tyrone in Clones.

Like Derry boss, Paddy Crozier the Donegal team-manager will have just one week to prepare for their first round Qualifier game.

When it was put to him that this wasn't very good preparation for such an important match, he replied: "Your could say that.''

When it was suggested that he would prefer a different club championship format in Donegal he answered: "There is little doubt about that, but I can make little comment until I go through official channels.''
________________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________________

McIvor hasn't met the players since the Tyrone disaster! That isn't exactly promising! They'll have basically two sessions to talk that over and prepare for Leitrim, assuming everyone gets through this weekend ok.

J70

There'll be a few uneasy exchanges at Donegal training this week! Ciaran Bonner is probably out of the Leitrim game after getting a broken nose courtesy of Colm McFadden in the Glenswilly v St Michael's match at the weekend. Brendan Devenney and Paddy Campbell got booked for having a go at each other in the Eunan's v Glenties game as well! (Devenney scored 1-6 though)

Looks like Christy Toye is very doubtful too, as he's still not fully over the chickenpox. Roper didn't play for Aodh Rua at the weekend either.

So it looks like we're definitely going to be missing Dunnion, Bonner, McFadden and probably Toye and Roper. Apparently Michael Hegarty will be fit. Interestingly, Shane Bradley, after spending years playing for Harps, has been invited to train with the county team once again.