Armagh v Derry Official Thread

Started by holylandsniper, June 24, 2007, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fcuksake

Quote from: Armamike on July 05, 2007, 10:20:40 PM
As for being too loyal to the older players - just ask Kieran McGeeney about that.

Didnt he take geezer off in the last 10mins or so against tyrone in 2005, allowing S.Cavanagh to run straight through the heart of the defence on a couple of occasions, and it cost us another possible AI

the quicker kernan goes the better.....Bring back BIG PAUL... ;)
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

Rick O Shea

Derry Team:

1.Shane O'Kane
2.Michael McGoldrick
3.Kevin McCloy
4.Gerard O'Kane
5.Liam Hinphey
6.Sean M.Lockhart
7.Francis McEldowney
8.Fergal Doherty
9.James Conway
10.Joe Diver
11.Conleith Gilligan
12.Mark Lynch
13.Colin Devlin
14.Paddy Bradley
15.Enda Muldoon

Goats Do Shave

I still find it hard to believe that people would want rid of big Joe. Benny don't let club bias rule your head.

umgolaarmagh

Quote from: Uladh on July 05, 2007, 01:40:57 PM

Unfortunately Hearty has always been suspect in the air and there is a fair amount of people in the county who'd consider McKinney more reliable under the high ball.

ogs men?

I would prefer Mckinney, hes a quick thinking keeper and can kick short and long balls accurately.

orangeman

I can't believe that you're saying that Hearty has ALWAYS been suspect in the air - it must be a different Hearty that I've been watching ???

Uladh

Its always been his achilles heel. right through underage football with the county and frequently for cross. Its the reason Joe dropped him when he got the county gig in 2002 and coaxed tierney out of retirement.

thebandit

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 05, 2007, 07:49:01 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on July 05, 2007, 07:11:36 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on July 05, 2007, 06:06:11 PMI hope to f**k it's Joe's last year.
You might be regretting that for a few years to come.  Joe did a great job with Armagh imo, maybe he's holding on to players too long, but there's nothing wrong with loyalty either - up to a point.
He's a bollocks!

I suppose you are annoyed he never recalled Barry Campbell as sub keeper.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Uladh on July 06, 2007, 10:16:54 AM

Its always been his achilles heel. right through underage football with the county and frequently for cross. Its the reason Joe dropped him when he got the county gig in 2002 and coaxed tierney out of retirement.

Don't like to have a go at the lad, but there is truth to what Uladh has said. He cost us a goal against Down in Casement Park, in the qualifiers in 2001, and if memory serves me well was then bailed out when he repeated the dose as Down threatened an unlikely victory.

Similar in 2003 against Dublin. High ball in and Hearty dropped it and was lucky that Francie was there to bail him out. Donegal this year was therefore not without precedent.

That said, he has other strengths that Armagh depend on - his kickouts for one. Ciaran McKinney is a very good keeper but may fall down on the length of his kicks compared to Hearty. I could see arguments for both being the number one.

Uladh

The most glaring high ball mistake has to be the one in cross against errigal in the ulster club. simlar to the cassidy one, he took his eye off the ball coming across the goal and completely missed it, allowing the towering canavan to collect unopposed and sink them.

McKinney's kick out is longer than the average county kick out, its just that hearty's is extraordinary. the common complaint though is that noone has any idea where its gonna land and why armagh so frequently lose the break ball count against less physically equipped teams.

Looking at the derry team named, devlin could be something of a surprise for armagh. could that mean he'll play up front with bradley and muldoon would drift outfield? Devlin can be a very dangerous wee bugger on his ballinderry fom and armagh will do well to be wary of him.

will the introduction of McEldowney mean moving o'kane to the half back line? i assume so though one of him or McGolderick will have to follow Marsden outfield and neither will be fit for that job.

Loup Bandit

Uladh, your right about Coilin Devlin, Armagh will do well to offer him the respect he deserves.
One thing is for sure with Devlin, he will continue to make great runs and create space. If the right ball goes in EARLY he could do damage.

Not sure if McEldowney will play in the corner, if he was he should just have been named there but god knows what Crozier will do.  ???
id like to see Lockhart go back onto McDonnell.

I expect Hinphey and O'Rourke to have a good physical tussle, and i can bet my bottom dolar that both will get booked!  :D

quit yo jibbajabba

is b gillis dropped or injured?  other than that, at least croziers made some changes, recognised some of our failings the last day...

Oak Leafer

Gillis has surely been dropped!! His kickouts are terrible. He just thumps everyone of them up the middle. O'kane i don't know what his kickouts are like. Seen the screen keeper lately there and his kickouts were excellent, surely worth a look.

armawman

Paul Hearty is a great goalkeeper. He has saved Armagh and Crossmaglen on more occasions than I care to remember. Ciaran McKinney is also excellent. Armagh are very lucky to have two goalkeepers of such high standard.

bennydorano

Big Joe will go down in history as the first Armagh man to deliver AI & NFL titles, make no mistake- he's done very well.  IMO he's fast approaching the Pete  McGrath point.  The thing is if he goes this year, it's quite likely that McGeeney, McGrane & McNulty may decide they've had enough and it's time for wholesale changes, if that happens Armagh's fortunes will dip for a while, which no doubt will give people reason to say that since Joe left we've went downhill.

Hearty's confidence couldn't be great, shortly after Ballybofey he had a total 'mare against the harps in the championship.  I'd still prefer him to McKinney, he can throw one into the back of the net like the rest of them.

Orior

Have you Derry wans seen the video of a Loup man diving into the urinal at Casement? Yeuk!
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians