Armagh v Derry Official Thread

Started by holylandsniper, June 24, 2007, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uladh

Its just too easy to get away with to ignore fox...

thebandit

Quote from: fer fox ache on June 26, 2007, 12:22:12 PM
Is there not some kind of Armagh Tyrone creche where you lot can be kept away from the internet

Queens and Jordanstown used to serve this purpose but then they made extra computers available

armaghniac

QuoteIf it was to renamed ( on fantasy island maybe ) it will be the only time the word Armagh will be added to any Silverware this year anyway

You could mention the Ulster U-21 football championship here too.

Bring back Bitnet and Gopher, this web thing is too widely available.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Uladh

There are some interesting matchups ahead in this game.

the respective full back and full forward lines will probably have a large bearing on the result and Armagh may struggle in one on one situations here. Bradley gave Andy Mallon a complete roasting in casement park two years ago, but McNulty put the clampers on him when he was switched across off duke. Francie also kept Muldoon quiet that day and Armagh will definately miss His aerial strength. i don't see any obvious candidate to pick muldoon up. assuming derry will play with 2 full forwards, donaghy will roam out again with wilkinson and mallon will have to close Bradley down this time, with McNulty tangling with Muldoon our best option. although it looks like an area derry could make hay at first glance, armagh won't allow that to happen by closing down muldoon and bradley's space in a similar manner to monaghan did.

At the other end, assuming McGuckin is still injured, I'd imagine Derry will now feel confident in putting McGolderick on McConville with McCloy taking Stevie from Killeavy. McCloy is the exact type of defender you need to handle McDonnell so Armagh may struggle for scores again. That would leave O'Kane tracking Marsden out into the half forward line and if this match up pans out it could be armagh's route to victory. Marsden's raw power will trouble O'Kane and he could cause derry a lot of trouble. assuming hinphy will come in for Bradley, he could hurt armagh against either McKeever or O'Rourke as they'll drag him forward where he could create problems.

Assuming Diver will make a three in midfield, derry could have a height advantage for what its worth from kickouts. they also had last week but monaghan still cleaned them out. Doherty dominted the midfield exchanges in casement 2 years ago until toal came on and i'd be hoping his injury keeps him out of this one! McKeever is likely to be the one to follow diver and if derry are cute with their kick outs, they could win some ball there. McGeeney might be a better option to go with diver, but then you'd be taking him out of the heart of the defence.

Armagh's nominal half forward line is unlikely to penetrate again. obviously we can write sk off already against lochart and with o'rourke basically playing in defence, McKeever will have a huge work load on his hands, which he wouldn't be keen on.

If derry avoid injuries this week, armagh could have a battle on their hands.

mackers

I agree with Uladh's concerns over our half forward line and our reliance on Stevie for scores. Surely this is the perfect opportunity to start Peadar Toal. He can give Stevie a hand with regard to getting a few scores, and with the Derry wing backs being so poor the last day out, his defensive frailities will not be exposed.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

armagh leg-end

Ard Mhacha Abu

Long time dead

Probably all-ticket as it is a double header.

corn02

Doubt it will be all ticket. 35,000 capacity. Derry and Fermanagh to take 8,000 each, Armagh 10,000 and Wexford (presumably) 4,000. Maybe I am well off with my figures there?

Long time dead

With 4 county teams involved though and considering safety issues, surely all-ticket would be sensable, trust I'm hoping its not as I can't be arse with the hassle of all-ticket.

corn02

Don't worry we will be sending 2,000 back in protest of travelling to Clones!

Long time dead

Quote from: corn02 on June 27, 2007, 02:44:51 PM
Don't worry we will be sending 2,000 back in protest of travelling to Clones!

:D :D :D

Over the Bar

QuoteDon't worry we will be sending 2,000 back in protest of travelling to Clones!

I'd heard the dippers were planning to be out that day so most Armagh fans will be staying indoors! ;)

thebandit

Seriously though, I think Cross would be capable of holding the game. It would add to the occasion.

charlie stubbs

Quote from: Over the Bar on June 27, 2007, 03:49:06 PM
QuoteDon't worry we will be sending 2,000 back in protest of travelling to Clones!

I'd heard the dippers were planning to be out that day so most Armagh fans will be staying indoors! ;)

w**ker!

Tyrone Dreamer

I dont think there's a hope in hell this game will be all ticket. Derry wouldnt bring 8,000 to an all ireland semi final and id say 800 would be closer to the mark! Id say if they get 20-25000 at the match they'd be happy with that. Cant see many from Wexford/Laois making the trip and Id say Fermanagh wouldnt bring any more than 4-5000.