Armagh v Derry Official Thread

Started by holylandsniper, June 24, 2007, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David McKeown

Thanks Lecale but can anyone confirm when the rule about designated teams was removed I dont remember reading it in the rules that changed the format of the qualifiers.  Mind you my memory is not great.

On an almost related note what are the requirements to be considered a campionship standard ground are.  Is there a list of such grounds anywhere.  If Armagh have home advantage then surely they should be allowed to pick the ground (within reason)  I think it should be in Clones too.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

bennydorano

Unusually for me, as I'm an eternal pessimist, I'd be fairly confident on this one.  The Derry display against Monaghan (and Antrim before that) suggests there's something amiss, and there's very little balls to be had in that team.

tbrick18

the big problem with this Derry team is lack of preparation and lack of gameplan/tactics.
Crozier does not have the managerial skill to run a team. Derry looke totally inept against an average monaghan team even though you would have said on paper that we should have won by 4-5 points.
I dont see this as a potential banana skin for Armagh, its more embarrasement for Derry (and that's hard to take considering the quality of "some" of our players).
One good thing that might come from it is that we might get rid of crozier and some of the dead wood he brought onto the panel for next year.

Long time dead

And the point of the history lesson drici was?

Midman

Quote from: drici on June 25, 2007, 12:39:40 PM
Ulster Senior Football Championship
First Round
Sunday May 28th 1995
The Athletic Grounds Armagh

Armagh 0-10
Cathal O'Rourke(0-7) Des Mackin(0-1) Diarmuid Marsden(0-1) Martin McQuillan(0-1)

Derry 1-17
Enda Gormley(0-4) Henry Downey(1-0) Anthony Tohill(0-2) Damien Barton(0-2) Declan Bateson(0-2) Seamus Downey(0-2)Johnny McGurk(0-1)Brian McGilligan(0-1) Dermot Heaney(0-1) Damien Cassidy(0-1) Gary McGilll(0-1)

Half Time:
Armagh 0-05
Derry 0-10

Remember that day well. You know things are bad when Henry Downey is scoring goals against you!

Goats Do Shave

We lost the minors that day too!  :-[

...luckily though we went on to invent a new sport in 2002!  :P

balladmaker

QuoteDavid you're right. The first team out of the hat gets home advantage - provided you have a championship standard ground. The game can't be in Crossmaglen because it's not up to championship standard. I'd say the fixture will be reversed and it will be played at Celtic Park. On the other hand Armagh could use Newry as their home venue.

Lecale, why can Clones not be used?  Everyone knows that Armagh use Clones as their Championship ground, pending the redevelopment of the Athletic Grounds.  There is absolutely no question of this game being switched to Celtic Park.

Estimator

Glad that Derry pulled Armagh out of the hat... This will be the end of the road for the current management.  Armagh to win at a canter - wouldn't be surprised if it was a reversal of that excellent '95 scoreline!
Ulster League Champions 2009

SouthArmaghBandit

Can anyone confirm that the game has been fixed for Celtic Pk?. It's posted along with the other venues on another thread. If it is it's a disgrace & our County Board shouldn't take it laying down! What was wrong with Clones? Or even Omagh? I'm not parinoid but I'm beginning to think that GAC or what ever they're called now have it in for us.

David McKeown

No seems game will be in Clones possibly as a double header with the Fermanagh game.  At least thats what I heard on the radio there not too long ago
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

clarshack

Quote from: drici on June 25, 2007, 12:39:40 PM
Ulster Senior Football Championship
First Round
Sunday May 28th 1995
The Athletic Grounds Armagh

Armagh 0-10
Cathal O'Rourke(0-7) Des Mackin(0-1) Diarmuid Marsden(0-1) Martin McQuillan(0-1)

Derry 1-17
Enda Gormley(0-4) Henry Downey(1-0) Anthony Tohill(0-2) Damien Barton(0-2) Declan Bateson(0-2) Seamus Downey(0-2)Johnny McGurk(0-1)Brian McGilligan(0-1) Dermot Heaney(0-1) Damien Cassidy(0-1) Gary McGilll(0-1)

Half Time:
Armagh 0-05
Derry 0-10

surely you meant to say that the venue was "The Pathetic Grounds"

TheHeckler

Football qualifiers, Murphy Cup dates and venues revealed
25 June 2007

The times, dates and venues for the All-Ireland football qualifiers and Tommy Murphy Cup first round ties have been announced.

Five of the eight All-Ireland qualifiers will be have a 7pm throw-in on Saturday, July 7. The games between Fermanagh and the losers of next Sunday's Leinster SFC semi-final between Laois and Wexford, and Armagh and Derry, will take place at 2pm and 4pm respectively on Sunday, July 8, while Roscommon will host Kildare at Dr Hyde Park at 3pm the previous day.

Both of the Sunday games could yet be played as a double-header at Clones as Enniskillen, which was out of commission during the National League due to upgrading work, may not be ready to host the Fermanagh v Laois/Wexford clash. Armagh's meeting with Derry will definitely go ahead at Clones.

On the Saturday evening, Limerick will play Louth at the Gaelic Grounds, Castlebar will host the meeting of Mayo and Cavan, Newry is the venue for Down v Meath, Westmeath will have home advantage in Mullingar for their clash with Longford, while Leitrim will entertain Donegal in Carrick-on-Shannon.

In the Tommy Murphy Cup, Kilkenny face Antrim in a preliminary round tie next Saturday, June 30 at Nowlan Park, with the winners travelling to Ruislip to play London in the first round proper on July 7 at 3pm.

The remaining three first round fixtures will also be played on July 7 at 7pm. Carlow must travel to Dungarvan to face Waterford, Wicklow host Offaly in Aughrim and Tipperary take on Clare in Ardfinnan.

Saturday 30 June

Tommy Murphy Cup - Preliminary Round

Kilkenny v Antrim, Nowlan Park, 3.00

Saturday 7 July

Football Qualifier - Round 1

Limerick v Louth, Páirc na nGael, 7.00

Mayo v Cavan, Castlebar, 7.00

Down v Meath, Newry, 7.00

Roscommon v Kildare, Hyde Park, 3.00

Westmeath v Longford, Cusack Park, 7.00

Leitrim v Donegal, Carrick-on-Shannon, 7.00

Tommy Murphy Cup - Round 1

Waterford v Carlow, Dungarvan, 7.00

Wicklow v Offaly, Aughrim, 7.00

Tipperary v Clare, Ardfinnan, 7.00

London v Kilkenny or Antrim, Ruislip, 3.00

Sunday 8 July

Football Qualifier - Round 1

Fermanagh v Laois/Wexford, Enniskillen/Clones, 2.00

Armagh v Derry, Clones, 4.00

(hoganstand)

Estimator

Other Championship results between Derry & Armagh over the past 20yrs!

2005 26 June  Armagh 1-11 V Derry 0-10 Casement Park  

2000 16 July   Armagh 1-12 V Derry 1-11 Clones   Final

1999 4 August Armagh 1-10 V Derry 0-12 Clones Semi-Final

1998 28 June Armagh 0-12 V Derry  2-13 Clones Semi Final

1996 02 June Armagh 1-06 V Derry 1-13 Celtic Park

1995 28 May Armagh 0-10 V Derry 1-17 Athletic Grounds

1987 19 July Armagh 0-09 V Derry 0-11 Clones Final

Ulster League Champions 2009

Armamike

Derry were shit yesterday, no passion or game plan. Doesn't necessarily mean they will be as poor again the next day though. From an Armagh point of view i'd be more worried about the lack of our own forward power - of the 6 forwards we only have McDonnell, McConville and Marsden able to get scores and of those 3, neither McConville or Marsden are likely to get more  than 1 or 2 scores from play.  Kernan has to give a chance to one of Vernon, Toal or Forker to add a bit of spark to the forwards.  In all likelihood he won't though (barring injuries) and we will be relying on the same faces as against Donegal.  If McGuckian is back for Derry, anywhere near full fitness, it could be a very difficult game for Armagh - he would probably play on McDonnell, who he kept in his pocket in the league match.   
That's just, like your opinion man.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: SouthArmaghBandit on June 25, 2007, 02:10:29 PM
Can anyone confirm that the game has been fixed for Celtic Pk?. It's posted along with the other venues on another thread. If it is it's a disgrace & our County Board shouldn't take it laying down! What was wrong with Clones? Or even Omagh? I'm not parinoid but I'm beginning to think that GAC or what ever they're called now have it in for us.
[/quote
It's a disgrace our county board can't get their heads out of their arses and give us a ground suitable!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?