Down v Meath official thread

Started by bcarrier, June 24, 2007, 06:15:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denver Mayobridge

Paki gets a rough time on the board, he's still only 19 lads!

DownFanatic

My Down 15 for Saturday:

1. M.McVeigh

2. D.McCartan
3. P.Murphy
4. B.Grant

5. R.Murtagh
6. D.Rooney
7. K.McGuigan

8. D.Gordan
9. J.Lynch

10. R.Sexton
11. B.Coulter
12. S.Kearney

13. P.McComiskey
14. M.Walsh
15. J.Clarke

Murphy is a strong presence at full back and he has the fitness and the guile to motor on for the 70 minutes. Grant is a good reader of the game while McCartan is an excellent man marker despite what half the county say. Rooney will be more suited out the field while Murtagh and McGuigan can launch attacks at will from the wings. Id expect Dan Gordan to be the main ball winner in midfield while Lynch may suprise some people with his ability around the middle sector and his forages forward. In the half forward line Sexton will work overtime but he needs to win more break ball. Coulter should keep Anthony Moyles busy and whenever he feels like it he should switch to and fro with Walsh. Kearney is a good man to have on the ball. He is rarely dispossessed and his long range point taking is quite good. In the full forward line I would like to see Clarke and McComiskey showing a lot. Both are well capable of hitting at least three scores each a game. I wouldnt use Walsh as a target man as Fay is good in those situations but I would like to see him come out and be the linkman when Down are attacking.

DownFanatic

Sorry 5times, I meant 70 minutes. I was getting confused with club football.

Class of 99

I cant see him starting with a full forward line of McComiskey, Walsh and Clarke. There is no real presence amongst any of them.
I wouldnt mind giving Downey another try at full forward. He would hopefully keep Fay busy, and leave some space for the corner   forwards. Hughes although largely ineffective this year will be missed. I dont think John Clarke is the man to fill in for him. Dont be surprised if Mcgovern is switched to the corner. Ross definately likes him and five points the last day should be enough for him to get the nod. Never thought I would say this but unless D Rafferty is fit we need Dan Mccartan for his commitment and tight marking although woo betide if there is a fifty fifty race between him and his marker. Aidain Carr is a must for his dead ball kicking, plus I think he his growing into the role with each game. My 15 would be without rafferty.

1. Mcveigh
2. Cole
3. Scullion
4. McCartan
5. Murtagh
6. Rooney
7. Murphy
8. Lynch
9. Gordon
10. Walsh
11. Carr
12. Sexton
13. Mcgovern
14. Downey
15. Coulter.

We then will have McComiskey and Kearney to come on and change it a bit if things arent working uptop.
If that forward line clicked we would be fine but its all on the day, need Benny to give a big performance.
Also would like to see Colgan as one of the back six for next year?

downredblack

Is Dee Rafferty even close to getting back ? I have heard Ross talking about Abrose and Liam Doyle but nothing about Rafferty.

Hardy

Well the events of the last week have put a different complexion on things and suddenly we find ourselves with limited options in the forwards, having  only recently been struggling to decide who to leave out.

Here's my shot at a team selection, with an eye to minimum disruption while accepting that the upheaval forces some changes. So if we have to be somewhat adventurous, let's do it in the half forward line, where we have problems to solve anyway. Also, I think it's time to try an alternative to Crawford, if only to give him an incentive to shake himself up. I'm not sure how Charles's form is, but I'd give him his chance.

Murphy

Harrington or MacGabhann or McLoughlin
Fay
McKeigue

Kenny
Moyles
King

M. Ward
McCarthy

Reilly (3rd midfielder)
Shane O'Rourke
Byrne

Bray
Farrell
C. Ward

Mourne Rover

I think most Down supporters wanted Scullion to mark Geraghty, who now looks an almost certain absentee. There is still a case for playing Scullion, but, with Sheridan also out, we will probably have to deal with a faster, lighter forward line than you would usually expect from Meath. Scullion is probably still the best bet at full back, with McVeigh in goal, and Cole and McCartan are natural man markers in the corner.

It would be great to see Rafferty back in the half back line, but he is more likely to come off the bench. Rooney at centre half with Murtagh and Clarke on either side might do the job. It has to be Gordon and Murphy in the middle, with Kearney and Sexton dropping deep to cover.

Carr is a certainty in the half forward line, and, if Hughes is really out, McGovern or Walsh could join him. McGovern is a hard worker, but made unforced errors which cost us 1-1 in the first half against Monaghan, while Walsh still has doubts about his match fitness. One alternative would be to take a chance on Rafferty or McGuigan at wing half back and push Clarke up as a ball winning half forward.

Downey has not done badly overall, but, apart from his goal, he struggled against Meath and is more of a prospect for next year. It is possible that Ross will name one team and field another, but it should be Coulter and McComiskey as a two-man full forward line.

The upheaval in the Meath camp could bond their team together, and it looks like a very tight game. In some ways, it's a pity it's not in Navan, where Down teams at all levels have a great record and all the pressure would be on Meath. However, home advantage should not do us any harm either.

downredblack

Down manager Ross Carr has watched his side compile a formidable total of 4-38 in their three matches in the Bank of Ireland Ulster Senior Football Championship to date - and yet they have only one victory to show for their endeavours.

In drawing with Cavan in their opening encounter, Down totted up an impressive 3-8 to their opponents 2-11 before going on to win the replay by 0-15 to 0-11.

Then in the first round proper, Down managed to put a healthy 1-15 on the scoreboard but this was bettered by Monaghan's 2-15, a Ciaran Hanratty's two-goal blitz inflicting most damage from a Down perspective.

It's little wonder, then, that Carr and his assistant D J Kane are apprehensive as they plan their strategy for next Saturday's crucial All Ireland Qualifier against Meath at Newry (7.00pm).

" We have been playing some decent football so far but I suppose you would have to say we have conceded rather too much. Meath are a team for whom I have admiration - what you see is what you get and the fact that they played with such character in their two games against Dublin in the Leinster championship will have given them great encouragement," said Carr.

Defensive vigilance will be a priority for his team, he agrees, and in this respect Down will require huge performances from players like Brendan Grant, John Clarke and the impressive Ronan Murtagh.

Meath, still coming to terms with the defection of Joe Sheridan from their squad and the most recent controversy involving Graham Geraghty, will nonetheless carry a potent threat particularly as Stephen Bray, Anthony Moyles and Brian Farrell are in superb form.

"Meath are very solid, very resilient. They come at you and their main ploy, we feel, will be to get the ball in quickly to their attack so our defence will need to be on their toes," added Down boss Carr.

This will be Down's third major championship game at the superbly refurbished Pairc Esler and Carr is hoping that his side can make it into the next round of the qualifiers, perhaps securing yet another home tie.

"A colossal amount of effort has been put into upgrading the Newry ground and obviously we would love to provide a menu of top class fixtures," said Carr.

Last year Down made an ignominious exit from the qualifiers when they were humbled by Sligo scoring only four points in the process in one of the county's poorest performances for many years - which ultimately led to the departure of manager Paddy O'Rourke.

Hardy

Down lads, any pointers on getting to Pairc Esler - directions, best approach route, where best to park for a quick exit?

downredblack

Hardy , I would park in Sainsburys . About 20 mins from ground but you will avoid a lot of traffic on the way home .

5 Sams

There's only one approach route really Hardy. The field is on the Warrenpoint Road so all traffic will be heading that direction from the town centre. Southern traffic cant approach it any other way cos they havent built the bridge at Narrow Water yet ;). My advice to you would be to park the car in the vicinity of the Quays or Buttercrane Shopping Centre with the nose pointed at the border and take a liesurely stroll to the ground...about 15 mins walking distance.
The Aristocrat Years

Uladh

Quote from: Hardy on July 04, 2007, 10:18:17 AM
where best to park for a quick exit?

at the house...there is no such thing in newry

Hardy

southdown

Ambrose is definitely on the squad for Sunday and was training with the squad last night.  Should be introduced at some stage and would be a major boost.

lisdoon1

When can we expect starting line up to be announced???