Down v Meath official thread

Started by bcarrier, June 24, 2007, 06:15:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

What the dickens?
From hoganstand.com.

Meath suffer Sheridan blow

27 June 2007

Speculation is growing in Meath that forward Joe Sheridan has pulled out of Colm Coyle's panel in the wake of last week's Leinster SFC defeat to Dublin.

Sheridan, who played for Seneschalstown in a club championship meeting with Trim at the weekend, is reported to have withdrawn from the Meath squad for personal reasons.

The full forward endured a difficult time against Dublin in last week's Leinster quarter-final replay defeat, when he was substituted before half-time having struggled to make an impact.

However, he remained a key part of the panel and rumours of his withdrawal will come as a massive shock to Meath supporters, particularly with an All-Ireland qualifier clash with Down just ten days away.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hound

Most players feel humiliated if they are taken off before half-time. I thought it was quite harsh on Joe, but I suppose Farrell had to be brought on and so someone had to go. A huge cheer went up for the Meath fans when it was announced Joe was been taken off. Now I presume it was more to do with Farrell coming in than Sheridan going off, but it might have sounded different to Joe.

A pity for Meath if he does leave the panel. Plenty to offer whether from off the bench or starting.

charlie stubbs

caitlins team has the making of a good one.if yas could get them all fit

Declan

QuoteSheridan, who played for Seneschalstown in a club championship meeting with Trim at the weekend, is reported to have withdrawn from the Meath squad for personal reasons.

Apparentley he is disillusioned with the game and his own form and there is no personality clash with Coyle. Pity as he is a talented footballer but he's obviously going through a rough patch at the moment.
Agorm he played against your lads at the weekend?  Any word on how his form was?

Down Man

Bad news about Ambrose, will be a big loss. Jack Lynch just isn't up to the standard.

agorm

Quote from: Declan on June 28, 2007, 07:14:42 AM
QuoteSheridan, who played for Seneschalstown in a club championship meeting with Trim at the weekend, is reported to have withdrawn from the Meath squad for personal reasons.

Apparentley he is disillusioned with the game and his own form and there is no personality clash with Coyle. Pity as he is a talented footballer but he's obviously going through a rough patch at the moment.
Agorm he played against your lads at the weekend?  Any word on how his form was?

I missed the game as I had to go away with work. I heard that he was subdued especially in the second half when Trim were making a comeback. As far as I know he was a wing forward and Paul Gilsenan was marking him. Paul would be better known as a forward.

Disappointed to hear about Joe, the cheering would have been associated with Farrell coming on though people are frustrated with Joe because of what people feel he is capable of. I dont think he would have started against Down but is certainly someone that we would want to develop. Perhaps he needs a break from the scene. There was an interview with him in the Sunday Times before the season started and it is obvious that he is hugely dedicated to the game. However he did come acorss as quite sensitive to criticism from the media and public and he might just not be able to handle the pressure. Let's hope this is resolved in the best way for the lad himself.

Jinxy

I think Joe should take a break if he feels that way, find the hunger again and then get someone to give him a serious training programme. People who aren't naturally fast can be made faster with proper guidance. Lack of speed is his achilles heel otherwise he has all the attributes to be a top, top footballer. You can get away with being small in the modern game, you can't get away with being slow.

GalwayBayBoy

QuotePeople who aren't naturally fast can be made faster with proper guidance

You can improve a persons running technique but you'll only make them marginally faster. You'll never turn a slowcoach into Carl Lewis.

Quoteyou can't get away with being slow.

Plenty of players around with very little pace. You can play at the top level without it but you have to make up for it in other areas such as being more skillful, reading the game better, etc.

Jinxy

Name some of these slow players for me.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Jinxy on June 28, 2007, 07:30:23 PM
Name some of these slow players for me.

From Galway alone from the past few years I can think of Ja Fallon, Kevin Walsh, Tomas Mannion, Gary Fahy, etc, etc.

None of them blessed with much pace. All top class intercounty footballers.

ExiledGael

There are countless slow players in the game, Enda Muldoon would be another that has reached the top level without much pace about him
Rory Woods was brilliant last week for Monaghan and he's not exactly lightening

thewobbler

Honestly lads, let's get a grip on reality here. At every level of sport, some people are going to be quicker than others, and somebody has to be the slowest. And to reach the highest standard in any sport, you need have a basic level of pace otherwise you've no chance of succeeding. True, the likes of Fahy, Bellew, Muldoon or Walsh wouldn't ever beat Cooper over 10 metres, over Donnellan over 40 metres, but they are still quick fellas - a damn sight quicker than lads of a similar build at club level.

Jinxy

I've rarely seen any of those people being beaten to a ball where they had a head start on their marker. THAT is what I mean by slow. And unfortunately that is what happens big Joe quite a bit.

bridgegael

this is a game down can definately win.  newry should be packed again.  i would expect at least a couple of changes in defence, scullion for mcguigan and if dee raf is fit he must start. midfield should stay the same.  would like to see kearney start ahead of mcgovern. as i say a very winnable game, but they would need to be in top form if they are to progress.
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Pangurban

Will not be surprised if the Meath support outnumbers Down, in what i expect to be a poorly attended fixture. Apart from the die-hard support, the rest of the county appear to have given up on this team, at least thats the impression i am getting from talking to people who normally would be interested.