Tyrone v Monaghan USFC Final

Started by tyroneman, June 24, 2007, 05:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyroneman

QuoteEqually Armagh in 2004 easily beat Donegal who had beaten a fancied Tyrone, but then couldn't raise their game for Fermanagh.
Donegal may well be a better team than Monaghan overall, but Donegal flopped against Tyrone, Monaghan may play the hardest they've ever played

Exactly my point (kinda) - Armagh were made well aware about the upset potential of Donegal and how they were hungry enough to kill dead things. Hence Armagh were well prepared for thier positon as favourites and won comfortably.

Against Fermanagh NO-ONE talked up the Erne men (compared to the hype Monaghan are getting)

I would put Monaghan  more in the Donegal bracket - media and fans playing up the giant killing act (and in some casses not even giant killing - they are being put on an equal footing)

imtommygunn

Tyrone - in league and McKenna cup have always had good tight games with Monaghan. I would doubt they will be in any way complacent. It remains to be see if on the big day Monaghan can perform but I think they can. Donegal have boys who just don't seem to cut it at times and they are a tired team at this point in time. Put Devenney on McMenamin or McNulty and he doesn't want to know. McFadden hasn't done it at this level either really bar one Tyrone match.

Monaghan have boys who are at that kind of level and I think they can perform. Tommy Freeman against McMenamim(or whoever the respective marker is) should be very interested. He will clearly be earmarked for "attention" and it will be good to see a top player having a test to stand up to which hopefully he will pass.

I've never seen a half back cover more ground in my life than Damien Freeman against Derry. He will however probably have to cover more to stick with Dooher! That also has the makings of an interesting tussle. Also interesting to see Woods in full forward. Maybe a targetman to target a perceived weakness there perhaps?

All in all though Tyrone should have too much. I wouldn't expect the likes of Mulgrew or young Kavanagh to thrive like they did the last day but I think it will be a damn good test of their mettle and also young McGuigan/ Gormley if they get a chance.

SuperDooperCooper

Very interesting game for the neutral here.
Will Monaghan (how I haven't seen playing) put it up to Tyrone in their own back yard?
How good are Tyrone? who bad are Donegal? Sunday should tell a lot.
Tyrone's victory over Donegal has to be viewed in the light of Armagh's loss to Derry and Donegal's inability to beat Leitrim over 70 minutes.
Monaghan have beaten no one really as Down are poor and Derry are so inconsistent it isn't funny.
I would fancy Tyrone to pull away in the second half and win pulling up. Tyrone need to get O'Neill some game time before the serious stuff starts in the quarter final.
Is Dooher the captain for the rest of the year?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: SuperDooperCooper on July 11, 2007, 04:32:41 PM

Yep SDC, barring unforeseens.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Deal_Me_In

Quote from: SuperDooperCooper on July 11, 2007, 04:32:41 PM

Dooher has been captain since Cormac McAnallen(RIP) with McMenanin vice captain filling in when Dooher has been out injured

orangeman

Yes it's Dooher playing a captain's role !

Star Spangler

Mickey, here's the team for Sunday;

1. Devine
2. McMenamin  3. McMahon  4. Carlin
5. Harte  6. Gormley  7. Jordan
8. Hughes  9. Cavanagh
10. Dooher  11. T. McGuigan  12. Mulgrew
13. Mulligan  14. O'Neill  15. McCullagh

I don't care how good Monaghan think they are, they wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell against this side!  ;D

ONeill

1. Devine
8. Hughes  9. Cavanagh
10. Dooher
  11. T. McGuigan  12. Mulgrew

That'll be very close. with those in bold as definites if fit. The others have alternatives, some moreso than others.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fear ón Srath Bán

I rather leave Raymie at 11, and Tommy on the bench, at least to start. We may need Enda Mc Ginley's graft, initially at least, and he's due to come good.

Star Spangler

Quote1. Devine
8. Hughes  9. Cavanagh
10. Dooher  11. T. McGuigan  12. Mulgrew

That'll be very close. with those in bold as definites if fit. The others have alternatives, some moreso than others.

You don't have Carlin as a definite - I assume that's a mistake! 

Star Spangler

QuoteI rather leave Raymie at 11, and Tommy on the bench, at least to start. We may need Enda Mc Ginley's graft, initially at least, and he's due to come good.

I don't think it would be fair to drop Mulgrew in favour of McGinley after the Donegal game.  Also it wouldn't be MH's style to do that.

Mr. Nakata

Will block be assigned the task of putting the shackles on Freeman?. MH obviously wanted Devenny tied down in the semi and Gormley done the business. He could get the same job on Sunday with Carlin making his now expected forrays up the park. Carlin did a brilliant job the last day in that role despite the wayward shot at the sticks. I think these tactics could be repeated.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Star Spangler on July 11, 2007, 11:20:25 PM
QuoteI rather leave Raymie at 11, and Tommy on the bench, at least to start. We may need Enda Mc Ginley's graft, initially at least, and he's due to come good.

I don't think it would be fair to drop Mulgrew in favour of McGinley after the Donegal game.  Also it wouldn't be MH's style to do that.

That's not what I said SS: Mulgrew at number 11, Tommy on the bench. Mc Ginley deserves another chance, and Tommy will always be there if he's struggling. And Colm Cavanagh's an option if the going's tough in the middle of the park.

ONeill

I think Carlin is fast becoming a set-in-stone starter for Tyrone but I'm not convinced that McGee is completely out of the picture.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Star Spangler

I don't think McGee will get a look-in while Carlin is in the form he is.  I watched the Donegal game there this evening and he really was immense.  His running was impressive but the way he kept Roper out of the game was even more impressive.

Who sorted Freeman out in the second half in 2005?