Tyrone v Monaghan USFC Final

Started by tyroneman, June 24, 2007, 05:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Mc Conville is currently on 50 championship games, Canavan had 49.  I'd say alot of cameo's are counted in Canavans total though - i.e. Ulster Final Replay 2005, All Ireland Semi 2005 among others.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Star Spangler

How many championship games did Frank McGuigan play?  I'd say it would be in the 20's.  That would make Conville twice as good as Frank.  I don't think so...

rrhf

I remember Cavlan scoring a goal from  f/f against derry I believe.  Cavlan wastes his own talent, Tyrone wastes Cavalans talent - It has been a combination of both over the years.  If I was Mickey Harte I would tell Clavo this week that he'll be playing in the Ulster final in full or corner forward with Mulligan and stevie at either side.  That without question is Tyrones best ff line if all fit. 

Fuzzman

Lads in the Ulster final thread

Lets stick to the topic and not let some Armagh lad try to get hijack another thread as they feel unloved recently.

Who's Monaghan's top performers so far this year then?
Will Freeman pick up Dooher again or will he play as a sweeper?

Will Tommy F be double marked or have Block on his case. He's small and fast so expect Carlin to take him but could get a roasting.
What's the Monghan midfield like. I havent saw them once this year so far

Finally, someone agrees with me. Thanks RRHF. I'd love to see that FF line getting good supply
Remember Fermanagh match in NFL semi back in 2003 I think we had Stevie, Mugsy and Peter in FF line.

rrhf

touchy moy boy; touchy moy boy!

rrhf

half foward line, Dooher, Mulgrew and Cavanagh / tommy if fit.

rrhf

recall06

BE nice to see mulgrew after another game under his belt. think he's begin to show the quality he has.

Fuzzman

Yeah would be nice to see him control the whole forward line but I reckon Monaghan like other teams this year will target him and the Cavanaghs for some special treatment.

If you scare the Shite outta these young lads from the start then they might not perform is usually the belief.

Anyone hear in news from Training?
Who's flying and is McMahon playing at FB in any games?

uselessfootballer

I'm not convinced about Mulgrew at senior level just yet. He took his scores well against Donegal but I felt he was fairly anomomous in the first half only really came into it as Donegal seemed to lose heart and shape.

I wouldn't want to expect too much from him this season, but in 2 or 3 years time he should be controlling big game from chf

Star Spangler

Mulgrew has more potential than any other young player coming through and therefore should be on the first 15 every time.  He needs that to make the breakthrough.  Brian McGuigan was at least two years consistently in there before his class started to show.  If Mulgrew gets the time he has the makings of a legend.

recall06

Hear tyrone's playin a game tonight. not sure where but there playing 1. Calvo seems like a man on a mission over the last two weeks. McMahon was playin no 6 last week as gormley was playing. Dooher didn't play in last game either. Hub also flying at the min

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: rrhf on June 28, 2007, 04:27:19 PM
rest of team   - unchanged

Surely Joe McMahon has to start at FB in place of Cormac McGinley?

I would stick with young Mulgrew at no 11. He had a tough first season in 2006 amidst a lot of hype about his talent but he turned in some promising displays in the league and after hitting 1-1 against Donegal (and getting through a lot of work) I think it would be a mistake to then drop him.

As for Cavlan he has a few big games for Tyrone down the years but has largely failed to deliver on his own huge potential, certainly hasnt done enough IMO to merit a starting place against Monaghan. Have him on the bench to throw on if and when required.

SON if fit would go straight it at FF but given all the injuries (and the worrying talk of tendonitis) that might well be unrealistic. Maybe a similar cameo role with him coming in after half time will be the solution.

Id also stick with Enda at number 12. Ok he wasnt at his best against Donegal but he's a proven player, good fielder and great worker.

1.Devine
2.McMenamin
3.Joe McMahon
4.Carlin
5.Harte
6.Gormley
7.Jordan
8.Hughes
9.S.Cavanagh
10.Dooher
11.Mulgrew
12.McGinley
13.McCullagh
14. SON if fit, otherwise C.Cavanagh
15.Mulligan

That leaves the likes of C.Cavanagh/SON, Tommy McGuigan, Cavlan, N.Gormely if fit to throw in.

Over the Bar

QuoteMc Conville is currently on 50 championship games, Canavan had 49.  I'd say alot of cameo's are counted in Canavans total though - i.e. Ulster Final Replay 2005, All Ireland Semi 2005 among others.

Strange stat that. Its the Ulster Championship only that we are counting remember and I'd reckon McConville has played a lot more Games in Ulster than Canavan.

Tyrone Dreamer

Thinks look a lot more rosey than they did a few weeks ago. Its great what a good win and clear up of a few injuries can do. However at the beginning of the league thinks looked great with loads of options and we all know how things went wrong after that. There does appear to be a number of options for Harte to consider now particualrly up front. Everyone seems to want Joe McMahon at full back but Im not convinced that after the way Gormley played there the last day that he shouldnt be left there. McMahon could play centre half, difficult choice and would probably depend a lot on the opposition. Would like to see something like this team:
Devine
McMenamin
McMahon
Carlin
Harte
Gormley
Jordan
Cavanagh
Hughes
Dooher
Mulgrew
McGinley
O'Neil
Cavanagh Jnr
Mulliagn
Mulgrew will definately come under press from T McGuigan/Calvan. And Cavanagh Jnr will struggle to hold of McCullagh. There's also Niall Gormley, Ryan Mellon and Martin Penrose to consider. Aidan McCarron is supposed to have done rightly this year in training to. In defence there's decent back up from McCaul, Gourley and Justy McMahon. McMahon and Holmes also provide cover at midfield. Its still difficult to know at this  point if we're genuine all ireland contenders or not but there certainly is grounds to be hopeful.