Tyrone v Monaghan USFC Final

Started by tyroneman, June 24, 2007, 05:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Statistics can be used to prove anything ;)
Testing Accessibility

Star Spangler

QuoteRemember his point in 1996 semi v Meath

Jayz you're going back a bit there now! 

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I don't rate Cavlin.  When it's not an important game or the opposition aren't up to much, he can look very good alright.  However, when the work has to be done and when the pressure's on he's nowhere to be seen (except maybe for the odd free).  I can't remember the last time we won an important* game with Cavlin playing.  He's lazy and doesn't tackle back.

* any championship match of note in the last 10 years.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Star Spangler on June 28, 2007, 01:20:15 PM
  I can't remember the last time we won an important* game with Cavlan playing. 

* any championship match of note in the last 10 years.

How about the 2003 final?  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Star Spangler

I stand corrected on that point.  ;D

However, I still wouldn't rate him above young Cavanagh or Colm McCullagh for that matter.

down22

QuoteI can't remember the last time we won an important* game with Cavlin playing.  He's lazy and doesn't tackle back.

All Ireland Semif Final: Tyrone  v Kerry 2003

Didn't Cavlan destroy the Kerry midfield?

nrico2006

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/low/northern_ireland/the_championship/6745037.stm

For the Stato's.  My OPINION is in line with what is said here.  Mc Conville is a great free taker, he wouldn't be as deadly as McDonnell from play.

As for Cavlan, simply has not delivered on his potential.  2003 final he played well - who will forget the beaut of a long range point he scored, but will any of us ever forget the stress he inflicted on us with that glaring goal miss after SON put it on a plate for him.  I would definitely put him on for the final, his handling and shooting skills would be priceless.  I just think he needs a good run in the team.  He always seems to be in, then out!!!
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Fuzzman

LIke Stevie O recently, Calvo seems struggle from wan injury to the next.
He rarely gets a full run in the time but all I'm saying is that he is more of a Rolls Royce type of player like Murice Fitz (Though no where near his level) than the Busy Volkswagen Beetle model of Dooher

Half forwards and half back in Tyrone are all work horses and runners whereas Cavlan I think is Mr Accuracy and can win his own ball unlike McCullagh and even wee Gormley.

I just reckon it would be interesting to give him a chance in a FF to see what he can do. He plays there well for his club and can you imagine the good quality ball that the likes of Mulgrew can fed him and hopefully one of the McGuigans later.

He's a class footballer and when his head is right he can outshine anyone on his day.
Keep him in FF line and so he doesnt have to tackle back so much

Star Spangler

QuoteAll Ireland Semif Final: Tyrone  v Kerry 2003

Didn't Cavlan destroy the Kerry midfield?

I wouldn't agree.  He was virtually invisible that day.

GrandMasterFlash

I reckon Calvo's one of the best foot-passers of the ball I've ever seen.. his distribution  is first class, when he's on form... For that reason I'd have him out the field to feed the full-forward line.

But on this occasion I'd rather not have him on the field at all!!  ;)

Fear ón Srath Bán

Cavlan's display in midfield against Derry in the replay in 2003 was a joy to behold, an awesome display of majestic fielding and lethal distribution. Since his return, he's been too in and out, but he showed some hunger and fight against Fermanagh, when he did come on.

A great man to have on the bench, for when that something extra is needed, that extra bit of class to unlock a particulary stubborn defence, and always likely to get the odd long range point or two.  Maybe not one for the initial grafting in a game anymore, but certainly worth having in the panel. He'll be more suited to some games and times than others.

down22

QuoteI wouldn't agree.  He was virtually invisible that day.

Second half maybe,but he gave an immense display in the first half. His fielding allowed Tyrone to launch wave after wave of attacks on Kerry.

EC Unique

I really feel that Tyrone will win this by a comfortable margin. Monaghan have done well to get to the final but lets be honest, they beat two of the worst Down and Derry teams I have ever seen. Derry were at their all time worst and were only a point behind with 6 or 7 minutes to go!! Im not trying to start a row but I really think Tyrone have far to much for Monaghan and if they play half as well against them as against Donegal they will win easy. I predict a 9 point win for Tyrone. ;)

Over the Bar

QuotePeter might be the great but Óisín is the greatest. The stats back it up

How many extra games played did it take Oisin the Great to reach Canvan's scoring tally anyway?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Over the Bar on June 28, 2007, 02:29:36 PM
QuotePeter might be the great but Óisín is the greatest. The stats back it up

How many extra games played did it take Oisin the Great to reach Canvan's scoring tally anyway?

That's one statistic too far I'd say  ;)

Fuzzman

There's no doubt about Cavlan's passing ability and somedays his fielding his awesome.
Even if he does get a knee up on his counterpart's back for some extra leverage
Thinking of a great catch he did against the mighty Antrim in 2003 in semi final.

But what I'm trying to ask ye all is how do you think he would fair at FF or CF?
Has he played FF for Tyrone before. I don't recall him there.

Think he played 13 or 15 before but came out as 3rd MFielder.
Is he our own Star Donaghy that we just haven't fully utilised yet? How tall is he? 6'4''

Monaghan are so in the right place for a shock
They will be so playing the "Oh were just happy to be in the final" card

Tyrone need to be on the ball from the start otherwise we could get it tight if they get their tails up