Tyrone v Monaghan USFC Final

Started by tyroneman, June 24, 2007, 05:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loughshore lad

To be honest I would be very wary of Monaghan. They have a good managerial team as much as I think McElkennon is just a mercenary he is a fantastic trainer/coach - never understood why Harte didnt go after him when Tally left.
Would have loved Tyrone to have got the chance to put right last years fiasco against Derry but am really looking forward to th final now. Clones will be packed to the rafters and the atmosphere should be electric - hard to beat for an ulster final.

Fuzzman

Didn't see the game yesterday but heard Derry were very poor and that Monaghan not much better.
Yeah they've got lots of pace throughout the pitch but laboured at putting this Derry team to the sword.

A Derry mate (yeah I have some) said he was actually relieved they lost as Tyrone would hockey them and he couldn't bear to watch that.
He thinks a good club team could beat Monaghan but reckon that was just post match blues speakin and trying to up the pressure on Tyrone.
Dont shoot the messenger as not my words.

1988 was also my first Ulster final in Clones and I remember Paddy Ball playing a stormer but it was the first taste of an overhyped Tyrone team letting us done a bagful and we got a lot more of that over the years didnt we.

I reckon we will see the Red and Blue jerseys with Paisley invited by McGuiness to watch the spectacle and pretend its a another token of peace. :-)

I hope Tyrone do what they did against Fermanagh in 2003 and start like a whirlwind and knock the wind out of their sails. I'm not being big headed but if you let these so called less experieced team get a start on ya they then believe they can actually beat ya. Whereas if you knock them for six early on then they doubt themselves and can collapse like Donegal did

Look how Kerry played against Waterford this year and the game was over after 10 mins.
The 2001 game panned out like that where Monghan got off to great start and put it up to us. They knocked us for 6 and we started to doubt a little and they began to believe a little
However, they then sat back and let us into it and we clawed our way back and they had no leaders to stop the Rout.
Yeah I know, Typical bih headed Tyrone fan talk and ye can't wait to get at us, but I'm just getting a bot bored of all this
"Lettuce play it all down for the media" bullshit and that we better not understimate them just in case.

I'd like to see a good open game but I reckon lots of teams not purposely go out to rile our younger players and people like Mugsy and O'Neill always get lots of special attention.
I was happy with discipline last day, even though Jordan still annoys me with his diving and whinging.

If Mickey can keep feet on ground I think Tyrone by 6 points.

rrhf

KM its a great occasion and the Hibernian bar is the spot for a boyo like you.  As for Tyrone V Monaghan, I would make Tyrone slight favourites here, Monaghan will bring a differnt meat to the pie than Derry would have done.  It has that bad feeling of an upset for me.  Atmosphere will be special,  great county Monaghan, great heart, now they have the players they will trouble anybody. 

Mr. Nakata

SON is having a nightmare with his hamstrings. Another injury sustained in training, early doubt for the final. Pure sicknote compared with the wizardry and genius of '05.

rrhf

Upset; upset; upset; upset;
Monaghan by 2

Kerry Mike

RRHF: yes looking forward to it dont think I will make of ff the Hiberian though.
Have seen a good bit of Monaghan teams up close over the last few years and have been telling the natives that I thought there was good potential there. Their defeat to Tyrone in Dublin in 05 was a setback when they were playing really well . Gave away a soft goal and that was the game gone.
There seemmed ot be a bit in the past of a mental block but hopefully Banty McEananey has instilled a winning belief in them.

There seemed to be a hunger about Monaghan yesterday however Derry were so poor it is hard to judge their progress and they should have won the game by more than the 2 points in the end. Finlay will be a big boost if he is back his workrate around the middle will be vital against the tigerish Tyrone lads. Lennon needs to contribute more too against Tyrone. I would worry about their full back line if pushed to the limit by Tyrone but they have some good forwards in the Freemans, Woods and Gollogly.

But its great for them to be involved in a Ulster final and should give a good boost within the county over the next 3 weeks. My only hope is that they dont get wallopped like Donegal. I think they will put it up to Tyrone but would expect Tyrone to have too much experience. But its on the day.

Tyrone will want to regain the Ulster crown again and after their destruction of Donegal they will be warm favourites for this game no matter how people try to play that down, that will play into Monaghan's hands if the Tyrone heads are not right.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

ziggysego

KM, you didn't meet me for a pint at the Junior Club final.

What about for the Ulster Final?
Testing Accessibility

parttimeexile

When watching the analysis of the Derry Monaghan Match yesterday the panelists were talking about  how good the Monaghan tackling was and that even their forwards were tackling.They were praising it and saying it showed how much monaghan wanted to win!You would think this would ruin gaelic football!!!! ??? I'm sure ive heard this kind of play analyzed very differently before!!

Fuzzman

From BBC GAA website

Stephen O'Neill is doubtful for the Ulster SFC final against Monaghan at Clones on 15 July after suffering a fresh hamstring injury in training.
Gerard Cavlan is back in training after a knee injury and Tommy McGuigan is also in training after a broken wrist.

Tyrone midfielder Sean Cavanagh was one of four players red carded as his club Moy lost by a single point at home to Loughmacrory on Sunday night.

The three-times All Star had scored two points before his dismissal.

He was sent-off in the last ten minutes as his side ended the contest with twelve men.

Clann Na Gael picked up a narrow win away to Edendork without the services of Brian Dooher and O'Neill.

The county pair were rested due to niggling injuries.

Dooher and O'Neill had registered seven points between them in last weekend's Ulster semi-final win over Donegal.

Sunday's games will be the last featuring county players before the Ulster final meeting with Monaghan on 15 July.

orangeman

Monaghan are really going over the top with the underdogs bit and having no chance - no Ulster final is a foregone conclusion - so please, Monaghan, enough crying - you're there on merit and stand an excellent chance and with Derry having beaten Tyrone last year and with Derry having held Tyrone scoreless in the first half, I'd say Monaghan should be favourites ?????????

neutral

The shock isnt that our best county senior footballer was sent off.  Its that the game wasnt played in Ardboe..  ;) Only joking o/man.
Seriously though I heard it was not a yellow card offence never mind a red.  

neutral

Dont forget Tyrone folks -  well in 2005 Armagh were massive underdogs and we seen what 2 shitty referees and a f**king bagful of outrageous good fortune can do over the couple of games.  i would put Monaghan as a better team than the Armagh team that Tyrone faced in 2005.  they were good yeah.. but by no means a great team and they rode their luck until it eventually ran out in August.   

farniel

Absoultely delighted to finally have the chance to watch an Ulster Final in Clones involving our own team. I know the game against Derry was dire but it didn't stop me from jumping around the office like a lunatic once the ref blew the final whistle! Its brilliant to feel a buzz around the County, its not too often we have it and although we will be massive underdogs, this team will have done the County proud no matter what the result. Fair play to Banty and his backround team. He has firmly believed in his players from day one and despite many critics and doubters he has proved them all wrong. All the best on July 15th lads.

Over the Bar

QuoteSON is having a nightmare with his hamstrings. Another injury sustained in training, early doubt for the final. Pure sicknote compared with the wizardry and genius of '05. 

I think MH should book an appointment with the fella both Ryan Gigs & Michael Owen went to see.  Giggsy has hardly a hamstring injury since.

Tyrone Dreamer

I take it there'll be a full house for the final? Both counties Id imagine will get 14-5000 tickets each with the rest going to neutrals. What kind of support would Monaghan bring for a game like this? They can have no excuse regarding travelling etc. In a way I think itll create a better atmosphere on Ulster Final day with it being Monaghan and not Derry. Id say there'll be a bit of traffic going from Monaghan to Clones that day. If Tyrone dont pick up any injuries and dont get complacent they should win the game. Thats not to say they will and they will need to reproduce the hunger from the last day. Its 4 years from our last ulster title - must be due one.