Soccer more popular than Gaelic

Started by Feckitt, June 21, 2007, 01:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lawnseed 2

the main reason why soccer is continuing to become more popular is because it is cheap to run most clubs pick up disaffected gaa players and fellas who dont like gettin roughed up usually townies they dont need underage structure, they dont have insurance, they can get plumbers to sponsor them (11 jerseys) or taximen. and slabbering to the ref and jumping on the wire is ok. our bill for armagh county board expenses, insurance, etc has arrived you could run five soccer clubs for the same cost. that why soccer is becoming more popular

johnpower

Good point about the expsense involved  in running a Gaa club . The GAA has to battle in every street every.every town and townland to keep the games going

orangeman

Let the soccer boys play soocer  - we'll keep the flag flying high ! Soccer is no threat -

AMayoSheep

In south mayo gaelic is number one...soccer or any other sport cant come close.

I find unless soccer is played at the highest level its complete muck to watch, the premiership and i dont care what anyone thinks completely over hyped cant remember the last game i found exciting.

From the Bunker

Quote from: AMayoSheep on June 30, 2007, 07:44:44 PM

I find unless soccer is played at the highest level its complete muck to watch, the premiership and i dont care what anyone thinks completely over hyped cant remember the last game i found exciting.

Soccer i'm afraid is more popular to play in ireland than gaelic football. Most statistics from the GAA for players include Hurlers, Camoige players, Handballers etc. I am From Mayo and involved in Soccer and Gaelic. Soccer used to be a joke in the county but has made great inroads. The Big soccer clubs are based in mostly Central and North Mayo. True you will not get many at games etc but it is becoming more popular and the facilities especially in Mayo where standards were set has seen a big upturn. The FAI are spending more time and money on training Coaches and have adapted UEFA badges. Anyone who says Soccer is not a tactical and skillfull game, clearly has never played other than a kick about in the back garden. Soccer presently is the number one game in the playground among boys and girls. Gaelic will always be my number one as it has more freedom in the use of more players, has the option of scoring points, no offside restriction, milder physical element and you can use your hands. It is more entertaining for the fan as there is more action. But it has evolved ito a present day game where alt of players have lost the art of (simply) soloing, kicking and fielding the ball. Many athletes who play the game can get away with speed and hand skills to cover up their lack of footalling skills.

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 30, 2007, 09:29:02 PM
Quote from: AMayoSheep on June 30, 2007, 07:44:44 PM

Soccer i'm afraid is more popular to play in ireland than gaelic football. Most statistics from the GAA for players include Hurlers, Camoige players, Handballers etc. I am From Mayo and involved in Soccer and Gaelic. Soccer used to be a joke in the county but has made great inroads. The Big soccer clubs are based in mostly Central and North Mayo. True you will not get many at games etc but it is becoming more popular and the facilities especially in Mayo where standards were set has seen a big upturn. The FAI are spending more time and money on training Coaches and have adapted UEFA badges. Anyone who says Soccer is not a tactical and skillfull game, clearly has never played other than a kick about in the back garden. Soccer presently is the number one game in the playground among boys and girls. Gaelic will always be my number one as it has more freedom in the use of more players, has the option of scoring points, no offside restriction, milder physical element and you can use your hands. It is more entertaining for the fan as there is more action. But it has evolved ito a present day game where alt of players have lost the art of (simply) soloing, kicking and fielding the ball. Many athletes who play the game can get away with speed and hand skills to cover up their lack of footalling skills.

In Castlebar, Castlebar Celtic seems to be building up a bit of a support, but I think GAA still number one in the town, Westport which was a historic soccer town has been losing ground to the GAA for the last few years, GAA extremely strong in the North Central of the County too.

oakleaf stateside

it sounds like its more popular in mayo maybe thats y they cant win an allireland :P
Dont Do It