Dublin & Offaly in Leinster U21 Hurling final

Started by TBT, June 20, 2007, 11:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tayto

He didnt have a great semi final so it's good to see him recover well last night.
Heard good things about Lambert playing outfield for boden.
Then there's bren tracey, another good player.

Paul Ryan - shane O''rourke will all be u21 again next year with some of the minors off this years panel, shoul dbe strong again next year

INDIANA

tayto
the only players dublin won't have next year are peadar carton/webster/mc crabbe and moran.
the rest of the first 15 plus kevin o reilly(the best forward in the county)/ shane o rourke/mc caffrey/durkin are all elligible next year. that coupled with this year's minors should make dublin fairly shit-hot again next year.

tayto

Yep fair point Indiana, i wasnt listing them all just thinking off the top of my head, altho McCrabbe in that sort of form is priceless.

TBT

Lads, I'd be more worried about Antrim than speculating about next season. Dublin made shocking hard word putting away a v limited Offaly side. A KK side of equal standard to Dublin would have won that game by 20 points.
Antrim were a better side than Dublin at minor. It would be a shame if Dublin blew a chance of reaching an All Ire at this stage.

tayto

Bit harsh on Offaly, i think they're a better team then you're giving them credit for.
Antrim have had some serious minor teams the last few years but I'm not sure i'd agree that they were better the the Dublin 05 minor team.

INDIANA

i think that's utter bullshit TBT .they had 12 senior intercounty hurlers and i know talking to Offaly people they reckoned it was a hell of  ateam. The simple fact of the matter is Dublin hurled them off the park.
Why is it when Dublin win at hurling the opposition must be shite? Could be breaking news but maybe Dublin are good? I'm just throwing it out there for people like TBT who can't seem to grasp the concept that sometimes better teams come along.
There is no guarantee that we will beat Antrim and Galway are still the favourites. But this is a very good Dublin side and I simply do not accept that us winning the provincial title is a poor reflection on the other teams in the province.
It's typical of the sort of arrogance that exists among the Mafia hurling counties out there who like nothing more than the status quo to remain

tayto

If we can get Johnny McCaffery, Shane O'Rourke and C.Connolly back fully fit we'll take some beating. O'rourke broke his collar bone against Kildare so shoul dbe back shortly, hope to jaysus McCaffery's injury dosent have a reaction to his half hour on wednesday. Not sure whats up with C.Connolly.

cnoc16

I don't neccesarily think we need conor connolly back, as mcgarry at half back was outstanding, in the first half he was the best in that line, as brady and dunne only raised game in second half when they were needed.
thought o'cllaghan in full back was outstanding, i know bergin wasn't in there all the time but i gemnuinely can't remember bergin being in the game in any of the positions he played.
some people have been saying that moran and lehane the two half forward were poor, but in all likelihood come the antrim game, boland will be taking one of them positions as mccaffrey comes in midfield to partner mccrabber, who gave one of the best displays of hurling i've seen at any level this year, great first touch and excellent striking.
durkin done well when he came on so might warrant the other half forward spot, but i reckon moran just had a bad game and may keep his place.
the two corner backs were poorish on the night, but they were probably the two lads who got us to the final based on their performances against wexford, even though webster was taken off.
all in all one of the best days for dublin hurling in my 10 or so years of watching them at minor, 21 and senior.

TBT

Quote from: INDIANA on July 20, 2007, 04:55:35 PM
i think that's utter bullshit TBT .they had 12 senior intercounty hurlers and i know talking to Offaly people they reckoned it was a hell of  ateam. The simple fact of the matter is Dublin hurled them off the park.
Why is it when Dublin win at hurling the opposition must be shite? Could be breaking news but maybe Dublin are good? I'm just throwing it out there for people like TBT who can't seem to grasp the concept that sometimes better teams come along.
There is no guarantee that we will beat Antrim and Galway are still the favourites. But this is a very good Dublin side and I simply do not accept that us winning the provincial title is a poor reflection on the other teams in the province.
It's typical of the sort of arrogance that exists among the Mafia hurling counties out there who like nothing more than the status quo to remain
INDIANA,
if you have taken the time to clear the smoke, that came out your ears, from in front of the monitor and actually read my post you'll see that we are in agreement over the fact that Dublin hurled Offaly off the park. The v fact that ye did this and still had to wait for an injury time goal to kill a game that should have been put to bed by half time should not be lost in the euphoria of the win.
I've never met a "mafia hurler" in my life, I think. I've definately never met a genuine hurling follower how wouldn't like to see the likes of Dublin competeing strongly at senior level. I hurled myself in Dublin when I lived there and have plenty of scars to prove this.

Above all else good minor Dublin players appear to be developing into good young adult hurlers. That is the key for a competitve  Dublin senior side.

INDIANA

Sorry i still think your post is totally incorrect. i saw that antrim side at minor playing limerick that lost narrowly to limerick in parnell park. I presume that's the one you're talking about. I still wouldn't say it was better than Dublin. We aren't in  a position to take anyone for granted and we won't be taking antrim that way. BUt i'll be perfectly blunt about it- if dublin perform i think they'll take antrim because i think they are a better team than them.
As regards a hurling Mafia - i have no doubts that the retention of the cosy cartel that exists in hurling would be the preferable choice of those counties. We all know the key to this is a good senior team but that's still two years down the line at least i'm afraid.

tayto

Quote from: TBT on July 20, 2007, 10:01:37 PM
Above all else good minor Dublin players appear to be developing into good young adult hurlers. That is the key for a competitve  Dublin senior side.

Very true, its the skills and hurling we're playingthat's exciting, we're not scraping through by a lucky goal or two, we're playing some good bloody stuff and that goes for the minors as well.

tayto

Quote from: cnoc16 on July 20, 2007, 07:44:06 PM
some people have been saying that moran and lehane the two half forward were poor, but in all likelihood come the antrim game, boland will be taking one of them positions as mccaffrey comes in midfield to partner mccrabber, who gave one of the best displays of hurling i've seen at any level this year, great first touch and excellent striking.
durkin done well when he came on so might warrant the other half forward spot, but i reckon moran just had a bad game and may keep his place.
the two corner backs were poorish on the night, but they were probably the two lads who got us to the final based on their performances against wexford, even though webster was taken off.

Fair comment about Connolly, but he's some player to have on the bench of he does get fit.
Agree Durkin would probably start for me.
someone said they saw O'Reilly warm up??? Is he back from the injury already?
Carton is in trouble over the wild pull in the tipp game so i'd say we'll lose him for the rest of the summer - and rightly so to.

cnoc16

Quote from: tayto on July 21, 2007, 07:36:47 PM
Carton is in trouble over the wild pull in the tipp game so i'd say we'll lose him for the rest of the summer - and rightly so to.

well it was a wild pull but they way curran reacted when walking off the pitch was a disgrace. he went up to carton n hit him a sly dig and called him a little bollox.

i don't think that there will be any comeback from it, it was a wild pull and probably malicious, but he shouldn't be suspended for it.

tayto

eh, why not? He broke someones Jaw with a wild pull and knocked several teeth out.

cnoc16

just because a fella gets badly injured doesn't mean there should be an inquest about it. it happened on the ball and if the referee deemed it fit for a red card he should have given one, if not let it be, i've no interest in getting into a discussion about gaa disciplinary procedures but in my opinion the referees decision should be final with regard to incidents that happened on the ball. in all fairness the fella would nearly ned to be decapitated to be sent off in inter county hurling, the level of sendings off is very low, and to reprimand carton would be a disgrace in letting people away with off the ball stuff and much wilder pulls