GAA in Britain

Started by BennyHarp, June 20, 2007, 12:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Yeah brilliant result and they've done magnificently to get to the final. Might find the other side of the draw was tougher though and I expect they have their toughest test yet. Still that won't bother them tonight, nor should it. Enjoy it lads!!

theticklemister

absolutely fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

southdown

Just back from Navan to shout on my old club Mitchels. They were full value for their win and were 5 up at one stage in the second half.  They will now play in Croke Park in 3 weeks and they will be very hard to beat. 

theticklemister

Southdown I thought the oul wedding ring stopped ufrom posting. U haven't been on in a while.

Maroon Manc

Fantastic result for Mitchels, a great achievement for a club in the England. I wasn't surprised by yesterday though, after the way they took North London Shamrocks apart early on in the All Britain final I thought they had a great chance of making it back to HQ.

Southdown-Who stood out for Mitchels yesterday?

southdown

New job in Ireland has a stricter Internet policy ticklemister, not as much skiving on here.

For me none of the star men for Mitchels played well, it was a workman like preformance.  The full back line was very, very tight and gave nothing away. Nobody really stood out and the big names like Mulligan, McDermott and Molloy never got going at all.  I suppose the players who stood out were the likes of Nial McShane, Dennis O'Neill and Marty Carey, solid games. The subs who came on also made decent impacts.

If they can do that but get their big names going in the final they will take some beating.  And don't think they are happy just to be there, the AIF defeat several years ago is a huge motivation.

The problem when you get to this stage is not knowing what your opposition are going to be like.  The Westmeath team were frankly poor, which surprised me. 

Maroon Manc

Quote from: southdown on January 28, 2015, 09:29:23 PM
New job in Ireland has a stricter Internet policy ticklemister, not as much skiving on here.

For me none of the star men for Mitchels played well, it was a workman like preformance.  The full back line was very, very tight and gave nothing away. Nobody really stood out and the big names like Mulligan, McDermott and Molloy never got going at all.  I suppose the players who stood out were the likes of Nial McShane, Dennis O'Neill and Marty Carey, solid games. The subs who came on also made decent impacts.

If they can do that but get their big names going in the final they will take some beating.  And don't think they are happy just to be there, the AIF defeat several years ago is a huge motivation.

The problem when you get to this stage is not knowing what your opposition are going to be like.  The Westmeath team were frankly poor, which surprised me.

Cheers.

I suppose with the other semi going to a replay Barry Morris will get a good at them, its hard to know whether the extra game the winners get will help or be a hindrance with only 2 weeks to rest and prepare for the final.

I think Mitchels will win it, they've still got 5/6 lads who were involved in 2009, that experience should be very valuable.

theticklemister

Quote from: southdown on January 28, 2015, 09:29:23 PM

Ye haven't been seen right enough around your usual haunts. We'll enjoy your marriage and new life in Ireland and sure we may get a pint together in the future. Your round....

BennyHarp

What do you make of the new Pennine league structure Ticklemister?
That was never a square ball!!

theticklemister

Quote from: BennyHarp on January 29, 2015, 05:56:37 PM
What do you make of the new Pennine league structure Ticklemister?

I haven't seen it lad. Can u post it

BennyHarp

I believe it's like this but not much consultation between the counties about it as far as I know.

3 groups of 4 teams top two in each group go into the final: Home/ away games
Div 1: St Peter, St Brendan, John Mitchels, Cu Chulianns
Div 2: Wolfe Tones, St Benedict, Oisin, St Lawrence
Div 3: Hugh O Neils, JFKs, ST Marys, Bro. Pearce

theticklemister

looks fair enough lad to me.

3 teams in div 3 there really have no chance of winning games like. so it gives them a chance for success. While div 1 is competitive as ever. Maybe Oisins and yourselves will be strong in div 2 but it gives maybe the tones and lawrences a chance to compete at a good level (which means that lawrences would be too strong for div2 and wolfe tone snot strong enough for div1)

what ye think?

BennyHarp

Quote from: theticklemister on January 29, 2015, 08:00:32 PM

3 teams in div 3 there really have no chance of winning games like. so it gives them a chance for success. While div 1 is competitive as ever. Maybe Oisins and yourselves will be strong in div 2 but it gives maybe the tones and lawrences a chance to compete at a good level (which means that lawrences would be too strong for div2 and wolfe tone snot strong enough for div1)

what ye think?

I don't mind it to be honest. But my problem is that they should make these decisions in advance so teams can contest on the pitch to decide what division they end up in and they should know what the repercussions are from where they finish in the league before they start. I mean, this should be the proposal for 2016, so teams can play their way into a division rather than every year being allocated a division in a boardroom in Manchester as the structure is changed again. Having said that, the Yorkshire teams need this more than the Lancs teams as Yorkshire is in a poor enough state regarding its senior teams.

theticklemister

Quote from: BennyHarp on January 29, 2015, 08:54:12 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on January 29, 2015, 08:00:32 PM

what ye think?

I don't mind it to be honest. But my problem is that they should make these decisions in advance so teams can contest on the pitch to decide what division they end up in and they should know what the repercussions are from where they finish in the league before they start. I mean, this should be the proposal for 2016, so teams can play their way into a division rather than every year being allocated a division in a boardroom in Manchester as the structure is changed again. Having said that, the Yorkshire teams need this more than the Lancs teams as Yorkshire is in a poor enough state regarding its senior teams.

Yeah I would agree Yorkshire need it much more. Yeah as you said a bit of clarity, The wolfe tones won div 2 last year and remain in it this year, while benedicts stayed up but still find themselves in div 2. last year the tones were put into pennine 1 and senior championship without asking the tones. The tones were not strong to compete at the aforementioned levels

overall however i think it is very good for all the teams involved. by the looks of it also all the fixtures will be fulfilled as teams have something to play for and they are always playing against teams at their own level

theticklemister

Good luck to John Mitchels, Fullen Gaels and Kilburn this weekend.  All have great chances to win. I have a few friends at Mitchels so it would be extra special if they could win. Apparently a hotel can't be got this weekend in Dublin due to the matches in Croke, yer on rugby game and wherever else.