Feile Peil 2007

Started by magpie seanie, June 20, 2007, 12:08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turk

I might pop in for some of the saturday matches, i'll be about

baoithe

Jesus, I pity the poor young fellas playing on our ground - they'll be lucky to escape uninjured. It's embarassing.

carnaross

Quote from: Jinxy on June 28, 2007, 05:58:38 PM
Will New York still have that monster from last year! Holy God, I wouldn't be fit to mark him and I'm 6'2". ;D

Interesting point you make about New York. When I was in Tyrone a few years ago, Yorkshire played NY in Div. 5 final. It happened to be July 4 and New York were welcomed onto the field with a reference over the loudspeakers to the significant date and that they were going for three-in-a-row in Div. 5. Yorkshire were ahead 2 points to 1 at half-time. The second half saw a brutal performance by the New Yorkers. Yorkshire sustained three serious injuries, one resulting in a visit to the local hospital. New York were a disgrace.
What criteria are taken into consideration when grading teams for the Feile? It seems to me to be a difficult task as the committee in charge have no idea how strong overseas teams are likely to be. By the way, congratulations to the organisers this year in Leitrim for the excellent coverage on the web, results posted very quickly and loads of photographs too!
Anyone travelling to Leeds to work/study are welcome to join St. Benedicts Harps GAA in Leeds.

Scrub

I see coverage from last years feile in Wicklow currently being shown on Setanta, any idea when this years competition will be on.

AhFeckRef

As far as I know there definitely showing the finals at some point this week. The program schedule was published in this weeks Leitrim Observer but I don't have it to hand.

According to Setanta's program schedule on their web page it'll be on tomorrow eve at 4.25pm and 5.10pm. Something on Tuesday morning also.

Excellent GAA coverage from Setanta. ;) Think it'll sway me into taking out a  subscription with them.

johnjoe

Attended my first feile at the weekend.

What a superb event, and the organisation was first class.

My tips on last Thursday last werent far away, one winner and two runners up, out of three selections.

Well done to all concerned.

magpie seanie

John Joe - I hope you had a good time at our ground on Saturday. Our facilities are a little underdeveloped for many reason but we tried our best to make the place look well. The pitch is good anyway. Was there myself for a while and enjoyed our lads game against ye. A nice team ye had there and it was no disgrace for our lads to lose to them. The wee no. 10 (who I believe is earmarked for greatness in another code) was a delight to watch. Has great balance and skill but he wasn't the only one. We were hoping ye would go on and win it so hard luck in the final. It is a great weekend alright and it is going from strength to strength.

johnjoe

Seanie, your facilities were 100%, and thanks for a great weekend. Credit to the Coolanny club for looking after us so well, and some great friendships were made. Coolaney followed us everywhere after our game the first day, and their support for us, especially up at your ground, was terrific. Then they followed us to Cootehall later that evening, and to the final in Carrick.

Think we were beaten by a better side, by St Rynaghs. There are no excuses from us at all. Turned out that thirteen St Rynaghs lads played in the hurling feile and were beaten in the section A semi final, by two points, by the eventual winners Castleknock, who put up such an impressive display in the hurling final, winning easily.

In light of that, who could deprive them their victory!

No 10 is Peter Duffin, a real class act, and best chum of my own lad, no 5.

The other wee blondie, no 16, top of thr right, who scored the winning goal at your place against St Lomans of Westmeath, is my other wee lad, and still under twelve.

We had a great time altogether, and on behalf of Sean Stinsons I say a big thank you to your club, and all the others involved in such an unforgettable weekend.

I knew Magherafelt were the team to beat in section A. We have played them four or five times in recent years in friendlys!!

magpie seanie

Thanks and well done. I was actually chatting to one of the parents of some of our lads and we were just chatting about your lad the no. 16 (think he had yellow boots or something). He certainly has loads of talent alright. I heard Coolaney followed ye everywhere and I noticed they gave ye great support down at our place too. It's to their great credit and its what Feile is all about.

This is my clubs first involvement in football feile for 16 years and it really brought it home to us what we're missing. Hopefully we can get to qualify or host again some time soon.

BigJohnBrowne

The Feile event went extremely well for all concerned.  Credit to the 2 counties in assisting Leitrim.  Have to say saw some cracking games on Saturday and Sunday.  Only concern is from news that certain clubs have been mistreating their players with special diet sheets, use of travelling chef's, embargo on entertainment etc...    Mentors gone mad in the pursuit of a cup - shame on them treating U14's like Senior Intercounty players.  Thank god it's only happening in a few cases, majority seeing the value of the event and participating in it for what it is.

Well done to all conerned in running the fantastic event and also to those mentors of a sound and civilised mind !

amigo

Posted by: BigJohnBrowne 
Insert Quote
The Feile event went extremely well for all concerned.  Credit to the 2 counties in assisting Leitrim.  Have to say saw some cracking games on Saturday and Sunday.  Only concern is from news that certain clubs have been mistreating their players with special diet sheets, use of travelling chef's, embargo on entertainment etc... 

The cheeky dubs at it again !!! ;)

neilthemac

they were not the worst, believe me

I could name teams from Cork, Meath, Kerry and elsewhere who would not eat the food provided by the host clubs and families, even one team who booked into a hotel rather than stay with host families.

Another team who would not permit their players to go to the cinema because of a game the next day.

mentors gone crazy

neilthemac

Things have moved on a lot in the past decade in Gaelic games. And news from last weekend's Féile where Barna put in a very good showing confirmed as much. And there is sure to be much more of this professional approach to come down the tracks in the next few years.

Here is an example of how seriously they take their preparations up north.

The Tyrone and Derry teams that stayed with host families on the Friday and Saturday nights had brought prepared diet sheets with them for the Bean an Tí to keep their energy levels at championship levels.

On this neatly typed out piece of paper for their hostesses was the following requirements.

Friday night: Chicken and Pasta please, Saturday morning: Muesli and Bran flakes followed by yogurt and banana.

Indeed one other team from the midlands, even had their own chef with them for the full weekend. Where will this stop one wonders? And these children are u-14s.

Let's not throw out the fun and pleasure of playing underage sport with the compelling drive by parents and under-age managers to achieve success.

Personally I thought it a tad bad mannered to be arriving at someone's door where they were graciously hosting you for the weekend with a list of what you wanted to eat.

Hence, I enjoyed the following tale.

Two wee fellas from Tyrone were staying with a Roscommon family. The mammy of the house was out at work on the Friday night when they arrived.

The Fear an Tí who was in her place was just home from work and had little inclination or interest to start cooking up the energy food that his young guests wanted after a week of toil.

So he turned to the two lads and said with a smile: "Ye can come out to Supermac's and have pizza like the rest of us. Don't worry. I won't say anything, if ye don't tell anyone either."

tayto

Jesus wept. I heard there was feckin icebaths at the hurling feile ... for u14s .... feck sake lads ...  ???

magpie seanie

I heard stories like those Neilthemac and to be honest if that continues or gets worse it will ruin this great event. On the hotel thing - I thought that was an absolute no-no and that teams that did that would be excluded/disqualified. Agree that its wild cheeky to tell your host what they can feed you.

The story about going to Supermacs is class!