Author Topic: 11th night bonfires  (Read 30053 times)

stephenite

• Ballina Stephenites
    • View Profile
Re: 11th night bonfires
« Reply #420 on: July 13, 2018, 01:32:04 AM »
I wonder how many in the OO remembered these three young lads yesterday on the 20th Anniversary of their deaths, they should have been in their late 20ís and early 30ís now ...

A shameful and tragic story. Lots of them on both sides unfortunately.

I understand the aim of the documentary is to promote sport as a means of unifying both traditions.

Farrandeelin

• Hey buckaroo! How are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 13, 2018, 05:50:38 AM »
I wonder how many in the OO remembered these three young lads yesterday on the 20th Anniversary of their deaths, they should have been in their late 20ís and early 30ís now ...

https://goo.gl/images/4HAcvp

A fair few I'd say.
The woman in red has the car parked on the slope.

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: July 13, 2018, 07:49:05 AM »
Sport can unite but the Orange Order is not a branch of the Armagh supporters club. It is a sectarian organisation whose identity is based on the fact that it isn't Catholic . I was disappointed when I saw the news.

And despite this a southern catholic was greeted warmly at the parade, illustrating the ability of sport to unite.

Would Neil Lennon have been as warmly welcomed?

Probably not, but then he is filming a "documentary outlining how Rugby as a sport unifies the country"

Perhaps someone should film a documentary entitled how the orange order/the twelfth/marching divides society in the North.

BOD's sugar coated documentary will be shown on tv3 or somewhere, and southerners with no idea of the North will think... ach, those Orangemen and their quirky customs. Why don't Catholics just leave them alone. Sure they're a harmless bunch.

Complete tpsser. Lost all respect for him.

So youíve watched the documentary?

Don't need to. Any self respecting Irishman that finds himself holding a lambeg drum with an Orangeman emblazoned on the front of it on the 12th, well I'm afraid he's just another Uncle Tom in my book.'s

Ah, so context doesnít count? Youíve made your mind up regardless, I see no different to a orange bitter fecker than you

What is the context MR2? I don't see how it's acceptable in any context? If BOD went to a KKK meeting in Mississippi (closest organisation to OO in practice) and we got a snapshot of him in a white outfit and a white hood, are we to ask black people to wait and see the show for in what context he was wearing it?

There's showing an acceptance, there's making an offer of an olive branch to the other side, then there's making a serious PR miscalculation which O'Driscoll has done here. Same as McIlroy with his Londonderry, he's dropped the ball in a serious way.

You have watched Louis Theroux docs? He manages to meet and understand groups far worse than the OO

Iíll wait till it comes out before Iíll pass judgement
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

Insane Bolt

• View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 13, 2018, 08:39:40 AM »
Do we need a documentary to tell us that sport can bring people together from different backgrounds?
I can't see any connection between sport and the orange order.

screenexile

• Up The Screen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 13, 2018, 08:42:38 AM »
Do we need a documentary to tell us that sport can bring people together from different backgrounds?

Why donít we just wait until the documentary comes out so we can see the substance of it and make an informed deci.... lol nah fuckit theyíre all c***ts who cares  ::) ::)

Insane Bolt

• View Profile
« Reply #425 on: July 13, 2018, 08:52:58 AM »

Why donít we just wait until the documentary comes out so we can see the substance of it and make an informed deci.... lol nah fuckit theyíre all c***ts who cares  ::) ::)

Who said they were all c**ts? I played alongside guys who were members of the OO, they were very uncomfortable when I would slag them about playing with a fenian😂

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #426 on: July 13, 2018, 09:03:39 AM »
I don't think a rugby player is the best to try to bridge the divide. Rugby is there already. Unionists and Orange Order members have always played on Irish rugby teams. Some of the greatest Irish players came from Ulster.
The problem is elsewhere.
Those biscuits are for the visitors

LooseCannon

• View Profile
    • http://www.uibhfhaili.com/
« Reply #427 on: July 13, 2018, 09:42:47 AM »
Loose by name, Loose by nature 😉

RetiredRessie

• View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 13, 2018, 09:47:01 AM »
Really baffles me sometimes how out of touch some southern Catholics/nationalists are with our situation up in the North.

Rossfan

• Ballaghaderreen CO ROSCOMMON
    • View Profile
    • Roscommon County Board official website
« Reply #429 on: July 13, 2018, 09:50:20 AM »
Whatever about Dublin 4 O'Driscoll did the knuckledraggers manage to burn any of their Hell holes ?
2018- 2 Cupeens won, 2 to go.

Hardy

• View Profile
« Reply #430 on: July 13, 2018, 10:07:14 AM »
At least nobody has (yet) trotted out the abhorrent suggested equivalence of the OO and the GAA. I'll reserve judgement on what may be an ill-advised photo call until I see the documentary, but the KKK comparison is valid and the continued attempts to confer respectability on the OO bemuse me.
I studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through - L.Cohen

Walter Cronc

• UTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: July 13, 2018, 10:15:08 AM »
Whatever about Dublin 4 O'Driscoll did the knuckledraggers manage to burn any of their Hell holes ?

BOD isn't from D4. His parents are doctors, does that make him posh? I've doctors in my family and we aren't posh.

Franko

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: July 13, 2018, 11:02:34 AM »
At least nobody has (yet) trotted out the abhorrent suggested equivalence of the OO and the GAA. I'll reserve judgement on what may be an ill-advised photo call until I see the documentary, but the KKK comparison is valid and the continued attempts to confer respectability on the OO bemuse me.

Sums it up perfectly as far as I can see.

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: July 13, 2018, 11:05:49 AM »
The OO is a dying breed, bit like the KKK...membership falling every year and less and less people interested in their views...I wouldnít be worried about them
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

Walt Jabsco

• View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 13, 2018, 12:02:13 PM »
Are they a dying breed? They probably are.  I was on Sash Watch last night viewing the highlights to see could I recognize anyone. But what stood out for me was a lot of the interviewees were at pains to point out the growth in the number of lodges as if to give the impression that all was healthy in the OO this may not be the case.