Thanks RTE

Started by AZOffaly, June 17, 2007, 06:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

his holiness nb

"Hysteria in the capital" ??

The media hype it up to make money, theres not many genuine Dublin fans getting "hysterical" about their AI chances.

Funny how you say that we get all excited after one game in the same post as "Tyrone have re-instated themselves as genuine all-ireland contenters" because of one good performance.
Hysteria in Tyrone after yesterday?
Ask me holy bollix

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: his holiness nb on June 18, 2007, 03:20:31 PM
"Hysteria in the capital" ??

The media hype it up to make money, theres not many genuine Dublin fans getting "hysterical" about their AI chances.

Funny how you say that we get all excited after one game in the same post as "Tyrone have re-instated themselves as genuine all-ireland contenters" because of one good performance.
Hysteria in Tyrone after yesterday?

Maybe it's more to do with the fact that Tyrone have won it something fewer than twelve whole years ago  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

AZOffaly

Ah jaysus lads, this thread was started by me to bash RTE about their stupidity in showing scores from the other game live on TV, knowing that most people would be taping one and watching the other. Don't turn it into yet another thread about how Dublin are overhyped.

Hardy

Pietas - I must have another look at Whelan-Geraghty. Maybe I was too hasty in condemning GG's reaction - I forgot I only had RTE's selection of slow-motion shots to go on and we've discussed that here before.

Anyway about the Smarmy McStay – Geraghty dismissed him in yesterday's tribune as "a whinger – always was". He said he didn't know anyone who would be paying any attention to anything McStay would say. I was calling last week for GG to be given a platform to reply to McStay's personal vilification of Geraghty from the commentary box. So thanks Tribune.

[Edit - sorry AZ!]

magpie seanie

QuoteAnyway about the Smarmy McStay – Geraghty dismissed him in yesterday's tribune as "a whinger – always was".

Absolutely 100% correct GG.

his holiness nb

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 18, 2007, 03:23:16 PM
Ah jaysus lads, this thread was started by me to bash RTE about their stupidity in showing scores from the other game live on TV, knowing that most people would be taping one and watching the other. Don't turn it into yet another thread about how Dublin are overhyped.

100% spot on, Dublin have always been overhyped for the obvious reasons, rather than whinge about it you should be happy as it seems more a hindrance than anything else.
They are overhyped yes, and to quote Tracey from Big Brother (with apologies) deal with it!
Ask me holy bollix

easytiger

Eh, Keith Barr wasn't on "Take Your Point" - Charlie Redmond was. And he was as reasonable and sensible as he always is - not a "rent-a-mouth".

Tyrone Dreamer

Ill probably get abuse for this but I felt there was anti ulster bias on RTE last night. At around 6.30 on network 2 there was a gir and guyl in the studio discussing the weekends sporting action. They discussed both hurling games in Munster, the Dublin Meath match and then moved onto the Sligo Roscommon game. That concluded there gaa round up. Not one mention that the national league champions had been destroyed by the 05' all ireland champions in Clones. Surely it deserved a mention!

Gnevin

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on June 19, 2007, 06:55:01 PM
Ill probably get abuse for this but I felt there was anti ulster bias on RTE last night. At around 6.30 on network 2 there was a gir and guyl in the studio discussing the weekends sporting action. They discussed both hurling games in Munster, the Dublin Meath match and then moved onto the Sligo Roscommon game. That concluded there gaa round up. Not one mention that the national league champions had been destroyed by the 05' all ireland champions in Clones. Surely it deserved a mention!
So when the BBC don't dedicate 24 hours a day its anti ulster bias and now when RTE don't give you 24 hours a day its bias  ::)
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Not about 24 hours a day, just fair play, d'oh! RTE's 'objectivity' is a joke, though, ironically, it's because of it's woeful Dublin-centric bias of Montrose that the Dubs tend to implode in the big games, i.e., when they get a certain distance ahead they begin to believe the hype's actually justified, thoughts turn to the next game, feet are lifted off the pedal...

So Dublin fans like yourself might be better exercised being a little more exercised about RTE's incurable Dublin bias, for your own good.

Gnevin

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 19, 2007, 08:17:43 PM
Not about 24 hours a day, just fair play, d'oh! RTE's 'objectivity' is a joke, though, ironically, it's because of it's woeful Dublin-centric bias of Montrose that the Dubs tend to implode in the big games, i.e., when they get a certain distance ahead they begin to believe the hype's actually justified, thoughts turn to the next game, feet are lifted off the pedal...

So Dublin fans like yourself might be better exercised being a little more exercised about RTE's incurable Dublin bias, for your own good.
If the Dublin players are stupid enough to belive the hype nothing RTE or me will do can change it , the hype comes from every angle now , the net, radio and printed press .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Gnevin on June 19, 2007, 08:20:16 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 19, 2007, 08:17:43 PM

If the Dublin players are stupid enough to belive the hype nothing RTE or me will do can change it , the hype comes from every angle now , the net, radio and printed press .

Don't think it's a question of being stupid, it's more that the sheer volume of hype will penetrate even the most resistant skull, subconsciously if not consciously. The airwaves are more difficult to avoid than the printed word, however, and if RTE were inundated with angry Dubs bemoaning their bias when then indulge in one of their ritual Dub-fests they might get the message.

Tyrone Dreamer

I just dont see how u could review the weekend gaa action and review every match apart from the Tyrone Donegal game. On paper it was the biggest game of the football championship so far.

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on June 19, 2007, 09:51:44 PM
I just dont see how u could review the weekend gaa action and review every match apart from the Tyrone Donegal game. On paper it was the biggest game of the football championship so far.

While I agree with that it also annoys me that the Nicky Rackard and Christy Ring cup rarely gets a mention either.  On Saturday evening it gave the results of the Limerick/Tipp match on RTÉ News, and lastly it mentions that some duel star (I think it was for Kery) was injured in the Christy Ring cup match.  It never even gave the result of this or any of the other matches that took place though, it only happened to get a mention because some football player got injured.  This is the normal way for these competitions, even the GAA doesnt normally make much of an effort to help the appeal of these lower tier competitions.

Onlooker

The dual player who got injured was Keith Higgins (Mayo).