Rule 132

Started by carnaross, June 16, 2007, 09:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carnaross

I see the new rulebook has ben published. Rule 132 states that an under 16 cannot play under 21 or open-age games. This could have a serious effect on clubs in Britain. I know counties can apply for deviation, but what do people think about it?
Anyone travelling to Leeds to work/study are welcome to join St. Benedicts Harps GAA in Leeds.

darbyo

I think it's a good rule, obviously if a club can't field an U 21 team without 16 year olds then dispinsation could be made, but it(the rule) should be strictly enforced and exceptions should be only genuine cases, i.e a club can't physically put 15 players on the field over 16 years of age.

Rossfan

About bloody time something was done to stop the abuse of kids.
In fact I would go further and now allow U18s to play U21 or allow U 16s to play minor etc.
If there are problems with numbers in specific Counties how about 13 a side or even 10 aside.

Our Co Minor team this year have been without our star sharpshooter from last year (Donie Shine) because he was playing so many games over Autumn/winter -colleges Adult club,u21 club etc etc.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Louth Exile

It was badly needed
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

carnaross

Might work in Ireland with potential burn-out issues being a major concern, but there's no school's/college's games in the North of England. Clubs in that area struggle to promote and develop the game and if under 16's cannot play in the older age competitions, they will lose interest and consequently, the game suffers. As to reducing the number of players in the teams, that would work, but would only be allowed after a bye-law, introduced at the County's Annual Convention, or at an EGM. The old chicken and egg situation. Maybe the powers-that-be should have looked at the effect of this rule's introduction on the GAA outside Ireland before introducing it as a blanket rule. Maybe, thinking outside the box is not within the remit of the GAA.
Anyone travelling to Leeds to work/study are welcome to join St. Benedicts Harps GAA in Leeds.

carnaross

Of course Child Protection is an issue and has to be maintained at all times, however, not all 16's would be physically able to play open-age. Only the strongest players would be involved. 

lawnseed 2

actually its up to your own county board to decide whether or not to enforce the rules as they are written, from a personal experience our club has played 16yr olds in senior games and i can say that the only serious injury took place when a player was taking part in a soccer match not related in any way to our club he hasnt kick a ball since and had no insurance

Pangurban

Sensible rule, pity it took so long to reach statute book

carnaross

Quote from: lawnseed 2 on June 17, 2007, 01:03:56 PM
actually its up to your own county board to decide whether or not to enforce the rules as they are written, from a personal experience our club has played 16yr olds in senior games and i can say that the only serious injury took place when a player was taking part in a soccer match not related in any way to our club he hasnt kick a ball since and had no insurance

County boards have no choice but to enforce the rules. They can only ask for deviation if a rule would adversely affect that County's clubs' ability to field in games. My club has an important under 21's game coming and without one or two under (strong) 16's, we will struggle to field on that day.