AI Hurling Championship 2024

Started by johnnycool, April 19, 2024, 11:29:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty34

Quote from: Kidder81 on May 19, 2024, 09:02:23 PMIt looked like Waterford should have had a 65 at the very start, when Quilligan knocked it wide. Fine margins. Some of the umpiring was very poor today in both games

Yeah,that looked as if he put it iut for a 65 alright. Strange one.

marty34

Quote from: Capt Pat on May 19, 2024, 09:12:16 PMClare were finding it easier to score a goal than a point in the second half. That poor shooting from easy chances for points nearly cost them the game.

Cork have really caught fire in the last 2 weeks. They look like all ireland winners on this form.

Still not sure what Cork will turn up. They had some following in Thurles today. Like a home match for them. Be interesting to see where they finish up this year. Last year, they weren't that far off- only beat by a point or two in a few games. So they have improved enough to get the wins.  They weren't hammered last year. You could see the progress.

On a big pitch, they have serious pace up top. Connolly is a real goal threat now. Straight for goal. The goal Cork got on half-time was a killer for Tipp. Half-time talk changes for both. Nobody put a tackle in.

Next goal was poor. Barret was down injured (hamstring I think) and then Hogan gives him the puck out. He fumbles and gets turned over...bang goal.  Hogan shouldn't have went short to him at that time....madness.

Tipp are in big bother I think. Be a few years before they're back. Big changing of the guard now you'd think - Mc Graths, Ronan Maher and Bonnar Maher etc.  Will Cahill be the man to oversee the change over?

Downey's at 3 and 6 are good. Improving with each game. Hard for Joyce to get back in again.  Kingston is some lad coming off the bench. 4 pts in a 15 mins spell. Only thing is that he's now nearly a sub because of this impact in recent games.

Big win for Wexford V Carlow.  For all their effort,it'll be a big battle for survival between Carlow and Antrim. They could find it hard to come back up again as Mc Donagh is tough.

Plenty to play for in the other 2 games in Leinster. Management will be tuned into the other game I'm sure.   

Truthsayer

Some scramble in Munster: Q: if two teams are on same points does it be decided on score difference or their head-to-head?

burdizzo

Truthsayer

Saffrongael

Quote from: burdizzo on May 19, 2024, 09:48:01 PMHead to head.
Quote from: burdizzo on May 19, 2024, 09:48:01 PMHead to head.

Yeah head to head if two teams, scoring difference across all games if more than two teams

Leinster slightly different, it's scoring difference in games between the teams involved
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

johnnycool

Waterford draw with Limerick and Clare beat Tipp and Cork are gone!

What are the odds on that?

Clare have been the dominant team in lots of games but seem to be always hanging on in the end, they really don't rack up enough scores that their play merits.
Cork are the opposite, they'll absolutely hammer a team who's slightly off the pace at all, but will then struggle in a tight game against the better teams.

Dublin can consider themselves unlucky on Saturday evening, I watched a lot of that game thanks to GAAGO  ;)  and they played some fine hurling, TJ was quiet, Eoin Cody was quiet but John Donnelly stood up and was the difference in the two teams.
Lyng will be desperate to get Mullin back on the park, but two really poor performances on the bounce doesn't auger well for later in the year.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on May 20, 2024, 08:49:37 AMWaterford draw with Limerick and Clare beat Tipp and Cork are gone!

What are the odds on that?

Clare have been the dominant team in lots of games but seem to be always hanging on in the end, they really don't rack up enough scores that their play merits.
Cork are the opposite, they'll absolutely hammer a team who's slightly off the pace at all, but will then struggle in a tight game against the better teams.

Dublin can consider themselves unlucky on Saturday evening, I watched a lot of that game thanks to GAAGO  ;)  and they played some fine hurling, TJ was quiet, Eoin Cody was quiet but John Donnelly stood up and was the difference in the two teams.
Lyng will be desperate to get Mullin back on the park, but two really poor performances on the bounce doesn't auger well for later in the year.

Waterford draw with Limerick and Clare beat Tipp and Cork are gone!  That is mad altogether!

Kilkenny missing a goal getting machine.. all fine and dandy knocking over points, but they are getting caught out with goals against them and not knocking in a few goals themselves.

With Waterford I have no idea which team is going to show up, they could beat Limerick, though I doubt it as Limerick really need to get into championship mode from this point, I've never seen Tipp that bad in my lifetime.

Would be mental if those results Johnnycool came up and Cork were sent packing
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Tipp were in it at half time and just after it for a bit too is the mad thing. They seemed to capitulate. Your man Kingston (not to take away from him) scored 4 points in a row from more or less the same place on the pitch. Would you not think they'd maybe get wise to that either management or players??

Can't see Waterford taking anything from Limerick as Limerick will be out to get to the final. What I do expect is Davy to be wired to the moon for it.

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 20, 2024, 09:15:50 AMTipp were in it at half time and just after it for a bit too is the mad thing. They seemed to capitulate. Your man Kingston (not to take away from him) scored 4 points in a row from more or less the same place on the pitch. Would you not think they'd maybe get wise to that either management or players??

Can't see Waterford taking anything from Limerick as Limerick will be out to get to the final. What I do expect is Davy to be wired to the moon for it.

That game is a knockout game for Limerick also, Waterford win it and Limerick are gone as they'll lose out on the head-to-head with Cork with both on 4 points.
Davy Fitz expends so much (negative) energy fighting losing battles along the line it's surely bound to have a knockon effect on the team. I get the siege mentality but it wears thin after a while.
I'd have criticised his teams in the past for sitting way deep and being too defensive, but there was absolutely no-one tracking the Clare runners when they broke the ball down in midfield and Clare left a few goals behind them also.

In Leinster, f**k knows who'll make it out of that 4 way dogfight, let alone who'll be in the final...

I think Kilkenny will get one of the three spots out, but they might not be in the final as Wexford definitely won't fear them and with McDonald, O'Connor and Chin finding form with the Kilkenny defence at 6's and 7's they could make serious inroads in Nowlan park.

Dublin will fancy a real crack at this Galway team in Salthill as they still look pretty lacking in confidence and leadership on the pitch.

NAG1

Another weekend with probably more questions than answers for a lot of the teams.

Tipp need a serious rethink but even at that, I'm not seeing any young talent bursting through their current squad.

As for Davy, had the Clare selector stayed out it there would have been nothing too it. He had no need to be there at that point any way, must be some serious bad blood between the backroom teams in general.

imtommygunn

Davy and Lohan have a very unhealthy relationship. I expect it's the same for a good few of them. I don't know the full ins and outs but a lot of stuff there with his da etc.

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 20, 2024, 10:41:53 AMDavy and Lohan have a very unhealthy relationship. I expect it's the same for a good few of them. I don't know the full ins and outs but a lot of stuff there with his da etc.

If you ever get a chance there used to be a thread on Clare hurlers on how Brian Lohan got the job. He wasn't even interviewed for the job even though he'd expressed an interest in going for it and it was going to another (highly regarded coach all the same) lad known to be friendly with Davy and his Da only for a delegate to complain about how Brian was treated and then some other delegates rowed in behind and lo and behold he got appointed.

Some of the goings on in the Clare CB would take some beating, and in his first year Lohan had to put his hand into his own pocket for a lot of stuff for the panel of players before a separate organisation or supporters club got together to finance them and the centre of excellence...

Saffrongael

Yeh main issue apparently is the Fitzgibbon game years ago when they were managing LIT & UL (I think)

Edit : https://youtu.be/GHVkqSIooFE?si=Xv24RyahsG_euodp
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

marty34

Yeah, that's how it started.

Taking over the warm up area of another team...that had already been set up and ready to go, while the other college was in the changing room.

The men in the bushes!!