Who will win the 2024 Ulster title

Donegal
27 (56.3%)
Armagh
21 (43.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Voting closed: April 27, 2024, 08:54:31 PM

bennydorano

I expect disappointment but live in hope. Huge game, defeat is the end of the road for this Armagh team - it is as simple as that imo, nowhere near the same level of pressure on Donegal.

There wasn't one decent kick pass in the league final, I'd expect Armagh to pepper the Donegal square regularly this time - in between the basketball. It'll be an interesting game, hopefully with a few surprises.

balladmaker

Been a while since I've seen so many pundits struggle to call a game decisively either way.  It's going to be fine margins, with possibly a black card or worse making the difference on the day.  I don't fully understand the 'go out and give it a go' ref. Armagh ... of course they're gonna give it go, but they've a well drilled Donegal team in their way who are not going to stand aside and let Armagh play swashbuckling football up front.  Space is going to be tight, and I reckon an arm wrestle will go on for most of the game and only open up in the last 15 or 20 mins, and that's when the match will be won.  I do hope to see Armagh pepper the Donegal square with a few high balls in and let's see what happens then.  An intriguing final to say the least.

Wildweasel74

What's the point kicking a ball in with maybe 2/3 Armagh men against 6 odd Donegal men

armaghniac

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 11, 2024, 08:38:51 PMWhat's the point kicking a ball in with maybe 2/3 Armagh men against 6 odd Donegal men

No point in "peppering" a ball in, at best you get half of these, but the other team comes up the field for the other half.

However, there is some role for a correctly placed ball when the time is right. The likes of Murnin has good ball winning ability if he gets the right ball in.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

bennydorano

Put numerous men on the square the odd time,really push up, put the ball in, create mayhem & panic. Worked v Galway. Won't happen, but still.

LCohen

Quote from: balladmaker on May 11, 2024, 07:31:10 PMBeen a while since I've seen so many pundits struggle to call a game decisively either way.  It's going to be fine margins, with possibly a black card or worse making the difference on the day.  I don't fully understand the 'go out and give it a go' ref. Armagh ... of course they're gonna give it go, but they've a well drilled Donegal team in their way who are not going to stand aside and let Armagh play swashbuckling football up front.  Space is going to be tight, and I reckon an arm wrestle will go on for most of the game and only open up in the last 15 or 20 mins, and that's when the match will be won.  I do hope to see Armagh pepper the Donegal square with a few high balls in and let's see what happens then.  An intriguing final to say the least.

Fully agree with your comment about the pundits and how tight this game is to call.

But the point about giving it a go is obvious. There are teams out there that are adept at the packed defence, slow build up, and then picking up enough scores over or through a blanket defence to win games. Donegal are one of those teams. More-so under Jim. When Armagh try to match that style against those teams they come up short. Donegal will be hoping we try to do things their way. When we move the ball quickly those teams they have to rely more on one on one defending which wrecks their defensive and to a degree attacking set up. But you have to be brave enough to risk losing possession in order to do so.

I'm not advocating landing it in on the square.

joemamas

what is weather like in Clones,
dry or wet

screenexile

Forker dropping the knees twice there!!

RedHand88

Quote from: screenexile on May 12, 2024, 04:07:35 PMForker dropping the knees twice there!!

Also givin it the big un for a point after 30 seconds. Embarrassing.

screenexile

Armagh look the better team in the early exchanges.

It's fairly shite though!

jcpen

NEUTRAL

Wildweasel74

To match Donegal u have to revert to their defensive style of play.

Estimator

Obvious double bounce missed for the 3rd Armagh point
Ulster League Champions 2009

square_ball

This has been decent so far. Pleasantly surprised. Some very good points. Gallen and Turbitt going well.

tbrick18

Great game so far. Armagh look threatening in attack and owning the kickouts.
Some brilliant scores from both sides.
Armagh look slightly stronger right now.