Sigerson Cup 2024

Started by mad tan, January 08, 2024, 08:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

Quote from: DuffleKing on February 09, 2024, 11:00:45 AM
Quote from: Blowitupref on February 09, 2024, 01:24:37 AM
Quote from: screenexile on February 09, 2024, 12:50:46 AM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on February 08, 2024, 07:29:05 PMUlster University have named a 32 man panel with no Glass and Doherty on it. Mickey Harte not allowing them play or they will wearing numbers 33,34?

I'd say they just decided there was no point jumping on the bandwagon when they haven't been around for UU all year.

Has been said they were not available tonight because were away on a pre-planned/booked holiday with the rest of the Glen players. Remains to be seen will they be togged for the final next week.   

If you were on the UUJ team would you want these boys landing in for the final having not shown the slightest bit of interest before?

As part of their scholarship they have to be at the Uni football, no?

imtommygunn

I would imagine it's related to scholarships. Couldn't see any way these boys would jump in on the final. Maybe if it was earlier rounds. Completely different set of players, tactics etc etc. Wouldn't work. Different if they had some games to get a run at it.

Saffrongael

As my learned friend MR2 says it's not as if they have been idle. University competions are becoming more squeezed with clubs, counties and U-20 teams all on the go.

Might be an issue with cashing in the scholarships as I thought they have to play a set amount of games
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Goals_Will_Come

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on February 08, 2024, 09:35:49 PMThought the big midfielder Oisin McCann was very good.The younger canavan doesn't stand out at this level at all,which is strange.
Excellent player, probably due a run with the county, Strange he hasn't already to be honest.

yellowcard

Quote from: DuffleKing on February 09, 2024, 11:00:45 AM
Quote from: Blowitupref on February 09, 2024, 01:24:37 AM
Quote from: screenexile on February 09, 2024, 12:50:46 AM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on February 08, 2024, 07:29:05 PMUlster University have named a 32 man panel with no Glass and Doherty on it. Mickey Harte not allowing them play or they will wearing numbers 33,34?

I'd say they just decided there was no point jumping on the bandwagon when they haven't been around for UU all year.

Has been said they were not available tonight because were away on a pre-planned/booked holiday with the rest of the Glen players. Remains to be seen will they be togged for the final next week.   

If you were on the UUJ team would you want these boys landing in for the final having not shown the slightest bit of interest before?

If they were taking my place, no. Otherwise yes, if they improve the teams chance of winning the competition. I would argue that Glass is the most influential player in Ireland outside of Clifford whilst Doherty was last years young player of the year. It's a nice headache for the manager anyway if they make themselves available.

Captain Obvious

Can't see Glass and Doherty starting the final however having both on the bench and having the option to spring both from the bench could well be the difference between winning or losing the final next Wednesday.

Milltown Row2

There is no football at County level till next weekend and I'm sure the lads would be available for training when they get back from their deserved trip away. Better to have them available to spring from the bench than not.

I'm sure if Clifford was in a similar position to Glass that the college team wouldn't be hesitating on putting him on
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Different kind of player though. Bung Clifford in FF line and hit the ball in.

Glass always plays as part of a bigger game plan.

Blowitupref

Goal for UU last night has been well debated on twitter.

Right to allow it or should have got disallowed for steps?

https://twitter.com/OrlaghMullan/status/1755689511923626405
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Milltown Row2

Easy 6 steps , was fouled leading up to that, let on he was about to pull the trigger and delayed it before shooting, if blown there would not be too many complaining about it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tbrick18

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 09, 2024, 02:29:06 PMEasy 6 steps , was fouled leading up to that, let on he was about to pull the trigger and delayed it before shooting, if blown there would not be too many complaining about it

Yeah too many steps, but really good finish.
He was fouled at least once, so maybe advantage?

tbrick18

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 09, 2024, 11:36:45 AMI would imagine it's related to scholarships. Couldn't see any way these boys would jump in on the final. Maybe if it was earlier rounds. Completely different set of players, tactics etc etc. Wouldn't work. Different if they had some games to get a run at it.

Did Glass and Doherty not travel to a game the same week Glen won? I thought I read that somewhere.
Glass was limping heavily after the Tyrone game, but I heard an interview where he said a few of them were heading to the sun for a rest too.

Derryman forever

Quote from: Blowitupref on February 09, 2024, 02:07:51 PMGoal for UU last night has been well debated on twitter.

Right to allow it or should have got disallowed for steps?

https://twitter.com/OrlaghMullan/status/1755689511923626405

He kicked it on the 6th step.
If that were pulled there would be a lot less scoring generally .

square_ball

You'd need to watch it again. It was 10 steps before he kicked it into the net.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: square_ball on February 09, 2024, 03:33:32 PMYou'd need to watch it again. It was 10 steps before he kicked it into the net.

If he had have kicked it when he looked like he was going to I'd have allowed it, but its that delay in shooting (and I'm generous with steps) that I'd have pulled it back for the free.

Old school ref'ing would allow extra steps back in the day when lads were hanging or pulling at ya, the ref would have given ya some extra steps (as an advantage) to shake off the player, but the advantage rule was brought in to do a way with that type of ref'ing and the use of the 'slow' whistle that plenty used

But hey, in the heat of the game sometimes counting steps gets looked over  ;D