Keegan says he doesn't like listening to female pundits

Started by Sonny Joe, October 06, 2023, 09:44:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonny Joe

I have ben thinking about this as I don't like them either, and I have come to the conclusion its simply down to the tone of their voice rather than ability. First of all I had to unpick the whole think to reassure myself I wasn't being discriminatory. so comfortably in the knowledge that its purely a hearing thing, been used to male commentators in football our whole lives and I guess thats part of it as well. Its almost like a trailor for a horror movie, you get the male with the deep rustic voice trying to capture your interest so you will go to the cinema to see it. I just couldn't imagine a female voice over. Anyway is it just me and Keegan  ;D
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

seafoid

Female pundit have to work harder to appear credible so their contributions tend to be very well thought out. I actually like their input.

smort

Quote from: Sonny Joe on October 06, 2023, 09:44:21 AMI have ben thinking about this as I don't like them either, and I have come to the conclusion its simply down to the tone of their voice rather than ability. First of all I had to unpick the whole think to reassure myself I wasn't being discriminatory. so comfortably in the knowledge that its purely a hearing thing, been used to male commentators in football our whole lives and I guess thats part of it as well. Its almost like a trailor for a horror movie, you get the male with the deep rustic voice trying to capture your interest so you will go to the cinema to see it. I just couldn't imagine a female voice over. Anyway is it just me and Keegan  ;D

I think this is probably most of it

Dag Dog

A lot of the male pundits are awful. Very hard to claim that female pundits are dumbing it down in any way.

Turf

Quote from: Sonny Joe on October 06, 2023, 09:44:21 AMI have ben thinking about this as I don't like them either, and I have come to the conclusion its simply down to the tone of their voice rather than ability. First of all I had to unpick the whole think to reassure myself I wasn't being discriminatory. so comfortably in the knowledge that its purely a hearing thing, been used to male commentators in football our whole lives and I guess thats part of it as well. Its almost like a trailor for a horror movie, you get the male with the deep rustic voice trying to capture your interest so you will go to the cinema to see it. I just couldn't imagine a female voice over. Anyway is it just me and Keegan  ;D
I agree with you 👍

AustinPowers

imtommygunn

Male pundits in soccer have been jobs for the boys. As said a lot of the female pundits are better as they've to work harder to get there. Tbh I haven't been sure about a few of the female GAA pundits but the soccer ones have generally been grand and there's bad male GAA pundits too.

Kevin...

johnnycool

Quote from: smort on October 06, 2023, 10:05:41 AM

Ingrained misogyny in soccer and sport in general will take a generation or two to work it's way out in the less enlightened.

JoG2

Quote from: johnnycool on October 06, 2023, 10:35:52 AM

Ingrained misogyny in soccer and sport in general will take a generation or two to work it's way out in the less enlightened.

Good man, get the troglodyte's on here labelled as quickly as possible.

Milltown Row2

Never listen to the pundits anyways, I'm only interested in the game, and can make my own judgements

The amount of air time they get and analyzing plays would bore the tits off you
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Quote from: johnnycool on October 06, 2023, 10:35:52 AM

Problem with shouting this immediately is that no informed argument can be put forward against any female pundit. e.g. Joanne Cantwell is awful.  Many of the rest are very good and I hope a woman, or quite frankly anyone, replaces Donal Og soon...

lurganblue

I've thought about this a little. I have no problem with equal opportunity and the female voice does not irk me during analysis.  I think Alex Scott is very good for example.  I just think many female presenters are being shoehorned into panels to appease a section of society, and unfortunately on some occasions they aren't very good, yet they are persisted with.  On the flip side of that, we also have plenty of male pundits who arent very good either but seem to be given an endless supply of positions to give their opinions.  Gabby Agbonlahor and Danny Murphy spring to mind.

Maroon Manc

Football punditry is a strange game, listening to lots of ex players who've no experience of playing or coaching; Jamie Redknapp is a clown but somehow has managed to stay employed for over a decade.

Got to be plenty of ex coaches and managers who'd do be comfortable in front of the camera's and do a better although Hasselbaink has plenty of managerial experience and he's not much better then Redknapp.

Emma Hayes is excellent but the rest of the female pundits are dreadful and they won't last long, Alex Scott was appalling yet somehow got a gig presenting and now funnily enough football focus is about to be axed as viewing figures have pummelled.

bennydorano

This has to be a thread worthy of the 'Where's the bloke love' Harry Enfield sketch
https://youtu.be/Tv0ueEI4OBQ?si=YGBfP0rPVLz4ucFx

Can't say I'm a fan of women commentators / pundits (but I think it works as presenters), ingrained misogyny or not I find most are just awful.

weareros

Hard to take that seriously from a footballer who used to frequent the hairdresser to get a 1970s style women's blowout perm back in the day. I'd say the missus had to hide the curling tongs.