Ulster Club SFC 2023

Started by general_lee, September 26, 2023, 11:59:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Think he just puts his hands out, to calm it down and bring up the keeper..

The Kilcoo lads didn't react, the Kilcoo player was completely tackling from the wrong side so easy enough free to give.

The ramifications of the free are different, but its a free in the first minute and a free in the last..

Rory gets some height in that free!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Dreadnought

Quote from: seafoid on November 16, 2023, 07:52:41 AMHas any Monaghan team other than the lady footballers won an All Ireland ? 
2 All Ireland Intermediate Club Championships as far as I can see

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Dreadnought on November 16, 2023, 11:19:45 AM
Quote from: seafoid on November 16, 2023, 07:52:41 AMHas any Monaghan team other than the lady footballers won an All Ireland ? 

Inaugural winners of the Lory Meagher cup in hurling too

Link

Quote from: Main Street on November 16, 2023, 12:51:55 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 14, 2023, 09:52:40 PM
Quote from: Main Street on November 14, 2023, 09:23:04 PM
Quote from: SHEEDY on November 14, 2023, 05:45:38 PMWhy would it be the end for Kilcoo? May as well ask is it the end for Crossmaglen. An Ulster championship is always hard won, getting beat by Scotstown is no disgrace. They'll be team to beat in Down again next year.
There are 7 county team players  plus captain and motm Donal Morgan in the Scotstown team.

I thought the ref did well in a heated encounter, despite awarding a soft penalty and a late soft free to Kilcoo to put them a point ahead. but somewhat balanced to a very small degree by the soft free awarded for a bit of a pullback on K Hughes, however  that was about 55m out near the sideline.

That was an easy penalty to give, the lad that came in at the end was the culprit
Darren Hughes it was, from what I saw  Darren was almost stationary when the Kilcoo  player ran into Darren's partially outstretched arm and on auto pilot hit the grass in agony. There was a obstruction foul in the build up which the ref later correctly gave a yellow to the Scotstown player (Caulfield), I think that foul where the ref played advantage affected his penalty call judgement.
 In the last play not even Kieran Hughes thought he was fouled, after easily breaking free he raised his arm (in error) for a mark that wasn't a mark, the linesman came over to him  grinning and hand gestured to Kieran to relax, that it was a free and to put the ball down.

Stonewall pen. Needless over aggression from hughes.

There was no mark, he knew for certain it was a free and wanted beggan to hit it. I think the linesman was smiling as he was trying to steal yards.

SHEEDY

Quote from: Link on November 16, 2023, 01:34:14 PM
Quote from: Main Street on November 16, 2023, 12:51:55 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 14, 2023, 09:52:40 PM
Quote from: Main Street on November 14, 2023, 09:23:04 PM
Quote from: SHEEDY on November 14, 2023, 05:45:38 PMWhy would it be the end for Kilcoo? May as well ask is it the end for Crossmaglen. An Ulster championship is always hard won, getting beat by Scotstown is no disgrace. They'll be team to beat in Down again next year.
There are 7 county team players  plus captain and motm Donal Morgan in the Scotstown team.

I thought the ref did well in a heated encounter, despite awarding a soft penalty and a late soft free to Kilcoo to put them a point ahead. but somewhat balanced to a very small degree by the soft free awarded for a bit of a pullback on K Hughes, however  that was about 55m out near the sideline.

That was an easy penalty to give, the lad that came in at the end was the culprit
Darren Hughes it was, from what I saw  Darren was almost stationary when the Kilcoo  player ran into Darren's partially outstretched arm and on auto pilot hit the grass in agony. There was a obstruction foul in the build up which the ref later correctly gave a yellow to the Scotstown player (Caulfield), I think that foul where the ref played advantage affected his penalty call judgement.
 In the last play not even Kieran Hughes thought he was fouled, after easily breaking free he raised his arm (in error) for a mark that wasn't a mark, the linesman came over to him  grinning and hand gestured to Kieran to relax, that it was a free and to put the ball down.

Stonewall pen. Needless over aggression from hughes.

There was no mark, he knew for certain it was a free and wanted beggan to hit it. I think the linesman was smiling as he was trying to steal yards.
100% agree, definite free and a definite penalty, can't see how there would be any complaints over either.
nil satis nisi optimum

Lucifer

Goes to show you what referees have to deal with when those are being thrown up as contentious.

seafoid

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 16, 2023, 01:26:55 PM
Quote from: Dreadnought on November 16, 2023, 11:19:45 AM

Inaugural winners of the Lory Meagher cup in hurling too

GRMA

Scotstown winning the All Ireland would be special too.

An rud is annamh is íontach

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Lucifer on November 16, 2023, 02:54:23 PMGoes to show you what referees have to deal with when those are being thrown up as contentious.

People see what they want to see....
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

I could maybe understand why someone might not think that was a penalty but the kilcoo fella even knew he'd fouled hughes. You won't see many more clear cut frees.

Armagh18

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 16, 2023, 09:23:14 PMI could maybe understand why someone might not think that was a penalty but the kilcoo fella even knew he'd fouled hughes. You won't see many more clear cut frees.
Penalty probably could have gone either way, went down handy but silly challenge to make as they had him surrounded. Hughes one was clear cut, he was gone and your man grabbed a hold of him

Main Street

Quote from: Lucifer on November 16, 2023, 02:54:23 PMGoes to show you what referees have to deal with when those are being thrown up as contentious.
On the contrary, in the past I have admired and applauded Noel's refereeing even when he was criticized here and in this game I have already remarked here that he had a good game, has anyone else written that?

To me the contact on Hughes was minimal and he broke free easy enough, that's just my opinion.
I would've thought the accepted scenario is the ref plays on or plays advantage.
Around the 11th minute, a Kilcoo player safe in possession on the Scotstown 20m line was covered by 2 defenders when a third  Scotstown player (nr 2) came in and floored him with a punch (or equivalent), play on says the ref who was well positioned, though I have croc tears for the Kilcoo player he was clearly poleaxed, out for the count. 
Would anyone here have disagreed had there been a very scorable  free awarded and a yellow or worse card dished out?  yet for minimal contact foul incidents all are shouting foul with such clarity. Imo the last free for Kilcoo, the  player totally dived, maybe  5% contact 95% dive.
Perhaps yes I am confused between minimal contact fouls which are applauded here with such certainty compared to blatant hits which are not penalised.

Nanderson

Quote from: Main Street on November 16, 2023, 11:17:17 PM
On the contrary, in the past I have admired and applauded Noel's refereeing even when he was criticized here and in this game I have already remarked here that he had a good game, has anyone else written that?

To me the contact on Hughes was minimal and he broke free easy enough, that's just my opinion.
I would've thought the accepted scenario is the ref plays on or plays advantage.
Around the 11th minute, a Kilcoo player safe in possession on the Scotstown 20m line was covered by 2 defenders when a third  Scotstown player (nr 2) came in and floored him with a punch (or equivalent), play on says the ref who was well positioned, though I have croc tears for the Kilcoo player he was clearly poleaxed, out for the count. 
Would anyone here have disagreed had there been a very scorable  free awarded and a yellow or worse card dished out?  yet for minimal contact foul incidents all are shouting foul with such clarity. Imo the last free for Kilcoo, the  player totally dived, maybe  5% contact 95% dive.
Perhaps yes I am confused between minimal contact fouls which are applauded here with such certainty compared to blatant hits which are not penalised.
I've highlighted the issue here. There is no rule that differentiates between the degree of contact. If a player doesn't make a genuine attempt to play the ball it doesn't matter how light or heavy the contact is it is a foul by the rules.

Milltown Row2

The only physical contact allowed in GAA is?

Anything after that is deemed a foul

Wildweasel74

No harm to Hurson, but that lad was dragged down there trying to shoot,should been a easy call.

Wildweasel74

Glen lads not know what a mark is,  there 3 they not took