Ulster Club SFC 2023

Started by general_lee, September 26, 2023, 11:59:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

Nobody was made of bigger chocolate than the Glenties full back.!

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: Oso on November 25, 2023, 07:09:04 PMMaybe Glen just are not as good a team as everyone makes out??

A team of runners with average football ability. How Ethan Doherty got an all star is beyond me, runs aimlessly until he runs out of space and can't take scores.

Conor Glass, totally anonymous again and yet gets everything from referees.

Glen murdered the advanced mark tonight that nonsense needs to go in football.

Some of the Glen players appear to be made of chocolate. Seems very common they go down holding their head. Is it a coached thing?

Don't think Oso is a fan

brokencrossbar1

Games at this time of the year are won by a team generally able to score 13-14 scores. It's rare to get much higher than that. Glen will be happy enough. In a final, haven't really played that well but still have loads in the tank.  They know how to win it whereas neither Trillick nor Scotstown do,  though the latter have a team who have been in the final before. Still think Glen win the final but not by more than 2-3

intheknowhow

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 25, 2023, 08:19:31 PMGames at this time of the year are won by a team generally able to score 13-14 scores. It's rare to get much higher than that. Glen will be happy enough. In a final, haven't really played that well but still have loads in the tank.  They know how to win it whereas neither Trillick nor Scotstown do,  though the latter have a team who have been in the final before. Still think Glen win the final but not by more than 2-3

Be a very tight final. I don't think it will matter as both them teams have huge experience

Oso

Quote from: theticklemister on November 25, 2023, 07:12:51 PM
Quote from: Oso on November 25, 2023, 07:09:04 PMMaybe Glen just are not as good a team as everyone makes out??

A team of runners with average football ability. How Ethan Doherty got an all star is beyond me, runs aimlessly until he runs out of space and can't take scores.

Some of the Glen players appear to be made of chocolate. Seems very common they go down holding their head. Is it a coached thing?

Ethan never got an all star.

Glass was outstanding in first half.

Advanced mark is there to be used. Not glens fault it is in operation.

Apologies meant to type all star nomination but I stand corrected on that, because he wasn't nominated - rightly so.

Glass was outstanding? Really??? How so? I missed that part, read a few kick outs but are we lauding him for that alone?

I never implied the advanced mark was Glen's invention. But to be rewarded with a free kick at goal for merely being able to catch a ball unopposed as a senior footballer is just daft.  Can you not see that? My observation was about the rule and the fact that Glen murdered it tonight and demonstrated why it needs to be done away with.

Posters get very parochial on here, and GAA fans in general. Everything has to be sour grapes or jelousy as people make fools of themselves defending their own just because they're their own. I

I simply don't belive Glen are the team they are hyped to be, and I believe the advanced mark is a daft rule as exemplified this evening. 

Oso

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on November 25, 2023, 07:47:25 PM

Don't think Oso is a fan

I'm not a fan of watching that kind of football - anyone who is a fan of watching grown men get a free kick at goal for being able to catch a ball unopposed (basically being able to execute one of the fundamental skills of the game) needs to review what they want to get out of gaelic football.

And I'm not a fan of rolling around holding your face/head when you weren't touched on it and diving for frees.

Maybe you are.

Armagh18

Agree re the advanced mark. A scourge on the game. It and the black card need gone.

OakLeaf

Very poor from both teams. Glen probably the better side but youd hardly know it from that performance. Glass was poor, as was Ethan Doherty.

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: Oso on November 25, 2023, 08:37:15 PM
Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on November 25, 2023, 07:47:25 PM

Don't think Oso is a fan

I'm not a fan of watching that kind of football - anyone who is a fan of watching grown men get a free kick at goal for being able to catch a ball unopposed (basically being able to execute one of the fundamental skills of the game) needs to review what they want to get out of gaelic football.

And I'm not a fan of rolling around holding your face/head when you weren't touched on it and diving for frees.

Maybe you are.

I love this shit. Quite simply do all/most teams not play this way now?

I see more and more rolling around/playacting

Finally, if Glen aren't a good team, who are? Tis a high bar you set my friend

Milltown Row2

Glen a kick of the ball away from wining the Club final last year, to being average? But in the Ulster final again, some craic
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

statto

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on November 25, 2023, 07:03:10 PMThere none of the Ulster teams be fit for Crokes from what we seen of them this year. They way better than last year.
Scotstown were very good agai at kilcoo would expect them get over trillick tomorrow.Scotstown with age profile of some of their players would need to get an Ulster in next year or two if going to do it. Corofin quietly going about their business in the west. Not impressed with glen at all don't think they have the forwards to win all ireland.11 points against 14 men last day and 10 points tonight, lack of goals/looking like getting goals bound be a worry.

quit yo jibbajabba

Yer man talkin about diving, he must have missed the pen

Schkite

Quote from: statto on November 25, 2023, 08:56:09 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on November 25, 2023, 07:03:10 PMThere none of the Ulster teams be fit for Crokes from what we seen of them this year. They way better than last year.
Scotstown were very good agai at kilcoo would expect them get over trillick tomorrow.Scotstown with age profile of some of their players would need to get an Ulster in next year or two if going to do it. Corofin quietly going about their business in the west. Not impressed with glen at all don't think they have the forwards to win all ireland.11 points against 14 men last day and again tonight, lack of goals/looking like getting goals bound be a worry.

I'd thought Scotstown's window for success outside Monaghan had passed. But adding McCarron into the mix (who traditionally is best in winter football), the Hughes's still performing strong, and Beggan & McCarthy playing as good as they ever have - and they have a team that can perform to a very high level when they're on form. They have a rake of key county players, and a handful of others who have been around the panel and on underage teams. On paper they're a very strong club side, but they haven't always clicked when push came to shove. Maybe this is the year but we'll see soon enough.

Mind you some would say this would be expected of a club of their size and pick, but that's a debate for another thread...

FermGael

It's very strange that the Jack McCarron transfer does not seem to getting anything like the same negative publicity when you compare it to what Crokes and Walsh got .

In fact it's hardly been mentioned.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Wildweasel74

He moved down the road, Walsh moved a no.of counties away.