Almost 2000 pubs closed since 2005

Started by seafoid, August 23, 2023, 02:16:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eire90

was pubs in the early 90s to mid 90s pack on a friday from 3pm onwards. Are pub these days dead on friday.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Eire90 on August 24, 2023, 01:52:57 PM
was pubs in the early 90s to mid 90s pack on a friday from 3pm onwards. Are pub these days dead on friday.

Most pubs on the road on a Friday afternoon were very busy, construction trades finished usually around 2/3pm, lads in most cases then had to go to the pub to get their wages! brown envelope those days, cash in hand and they generally stayed on or went home and got changed for going out!

The 90's I never came home till around 3 am Monday morning to get some sleep for work!

But the peace process kept a hell of a lot of people in local social/GAA clubs were the pints were a lot cheaper..

My local on Fridays now would have a decent enough crowd from around 5 through till ten, but not packed
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

clonian

Quote from: general_lee on August 24, 2023, 12:48:10 PM
There's a couple of old man bars near me, they're rural and fairly out of the way but the farmers still enjoy a drink and keep them going. Ironically there's been a couple in town that have struggled or closed.

They probably don't have a massive overhead - nothing much changed for years. There's still room for that in society - there's still an odd one like that around us.

clonian

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 24, 2023, 02:03:02 PM
Quote from: Eire90 on August 24, 2023, 01:52:57 PM

Most pubs on the road on a Friday afternoon were very busy, construction trades finished usually around 2/3pm, lads in most cases then had to go to the pub to get their wages! brown envelope those days, cash in hand and they generally stayed on or went home and got changed for going out!

The 90's I never came home till around 3 am Monday morning to get some sleep for work!

But the peace process kept a hell of a lot of people in local social/GAA clubs were the pints were a lot cheaper..

My local on Fridays now would have a decent enough crowd from around 5 through till ten, but not packed

Pubs used to cash cheques too - Thursday night would of brought a crowd into the pub beside us for that. Cash the cheque, get a pint or 2.

That bar is closed now - the kids of the owners are all doctors etc - why would they go back to run the bar now?

seafoid

There was a lot of investment in shops, filling stations, news agents, store fronts, cafés etc as more money sloshed around the economy from the mid 90s on. A lot of those pubs wouldn't have justified investment as spending patterns changed. They

Estimator

Quote from: seafoid on August 24, 2023, 08:13:37 AM
Quote from: Hoof Hearted on August 24, 2023, 07:22:43 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on August 23, 2023, 10:06:22 PM
Alcohol consumption peaked in Ireland in 2007 or so, and people wised up a bit. There were too many pubs in most country places, Crossmaglen boasted 14 at one point. One became a pizzeria, which is progress of a sort.

Draperstown similar, only one opened now
Any other pubs in 'Screen'??
Another one in town with very limited opening hours and I think there are 3 more still open across the parish. Would need a vehicle to get to those.

'Screen held consecutive Ulster fleadhs in 2001/02, at a stage when you go on a decent pub crawl around the town. Couldn't do that now. Some fall from grace for an area that once boasted the most pubs per population head.
Ulster League Champions 2009

RedHand88

Quote from: Estimator on August 24, 2023, 02:57:15 PM
Alcohol consumption peaked in Ireland in 2007 or so, and people wised up a bit. There were too many pubs in most country places, Crossmaglen boasted 14 at one point. One became a pizzeria, which is progress of a sort.

Another one in town with very limited opening hours and I think there are 3 more still open across the parish. Would need a vehicle to get to those.

'Screen held consecutive Ulster fleadhs in 2001/02, at a stage when you go on a decent pub crawl around the town. Couldn't do that now. Some fall from grace for an area that once boasted the most pubs per population head.

I know Pomeroy said this at one stage too. It's like an urban myth in each town that they are Ireland's biggest drinkers.

Estimator

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 24, 2023, 03:03:57 PM
Quote from: Estimator on August 24, 2023, 02:57:15 PM

I know Pomeroy said this at one stage too. It's like an urban myth in each town that they are Ireland's biggest drinkers.

Speaking of alcohol, an interesting fact emerged a few years back when an English gentleman wrote in to the Daily Mirror newspaper enquiring about the status of his home town having a number of pubs to people ratio of roughly 18 pubs serving a population of some 2000 odd locals,and that this surely must be one of the highest in the UK. The reply to which the researcher gave found amusement among locals here when the newspaper declared that it was indeed the small town of Draperstown, N.Ireland, that at one point had held the esteemed title of most pubs per population with a stunning ratio of 15 pubs for 500 people.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Rossfan

Ballymote in Sligo had a reputation of a big drinking town with loads of Pubs.
Seems there are only 2 left now!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

dec

I thought Camlough had the most pubs per person to make up for the fact that Bessbrook had none
https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-the-dry-village-1964-online

general_lee

Lurgan by my reckoning has or at least had 26 drinking establishments (including social clubs) since 2005.
In that time I can only think of the Ceili House, The International and the Railway Bar (?) that have closed down.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Rossfan on August 24, 2023, 04:37:01 PM
Ballymote in Sligo had a reputation of a big drinking town with loads of Pubs.
Seems there are only 2 left now!

Late 80s early 90s rural Ireland towns all had 20 plus pubs all busy especially at weekends and loads of towns had their own cinemas and lively nightclubs where people would travel many miles to visit.  Nowadays those cinemas and nightclubs are long gone, each town has on average 5 pubs and they aren't overly busy even at weekends.

armaghniac

Quote from: seafoid on August 24, 2023, 02:36:42 PM
There was a lot of investment in shops, filling stations, news agents, store fronts, cafés etc as more money sloshed around the economy from the mid 90s on. A lot of those pubs wouldn't have justified investment as spending patterns changed. They

Sure in 20 years filling stations in rural areas will be only a shop.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on August 24, 2023, 05:48:51 PM

With fast electric chargers and food..

armaghniac

Quote from: seafoid on August 24, 2023, 06:06:27 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on August 24, 2023, 05:48:51 PM

With fast electric chargers and food..

Fast electric chargers need not be there, but could in the main square or elsewhere. Rural people will have plenty of home charging, only travellers will need charges.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B