All-Stars 2023

Started by Blowitupref, July 18, 2023, 11:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrick18

Quote from: rrhf on August 22, 2023, 09:44:07 PM
Mc Guigan was very good and a good shot for an all star but he had a poor day out  v Cork, but Rogers is the heartbeat of this Derry side and has been the reason why Derry are back winning Ulster titles after being a laughing stock for so long...a tremendous footballer...

I agree in part....Rogers for me is the most important player on the team. But I certainly wouldnt go so far as saying he is the reason.
We've got a real spread of top players now, Glass, McLoskey, , McEvoy, Doherty(s), Cassidy, Lynch and McGuigan...plus RG as manager pulled it all together. It's the sum of the parts for me that is the reason we are competing again.

Blowitupref

This year's Football All-Star nominations are due to be released tomorrow morning
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Rossfan

I know we won't get any actual All Stars but woukd be nice to see Enda and Brian Stack at least get nominations.
Fin kutcome Dublin 7
Kerry 4
Derry 2
Monaghan 1
And 1 for either Mayowestros winning the League or Galway for winning Connacht, that is if the Selectors can remember that far back!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Wildweasel74

G how u give Dublin 7 they been poor enough through most of the championship, outside i
Of the semi /Final.

Rossfan

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 28, 2023, 07:33:13 PMG how u give Dublin 7 they been poor enough through most of the championship, outsude i
Of the semi /Final.
Because
1 Dublin won the Final
2 they're picked based on the Semis and Final

For the record I have no hand, act or part in picking them  ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

onefineday

Quote from: Rossfan on September 28, 2023, 05:25:56 PMI know we won't get any actual All Stars but woukd be nice to see Enda and Brian Stack at least get nominations.
Fin kutcome Dublin 7
Kerry 4
Derry 2
Monaghan 1
And 1 for either Mayowestros winning the League or Galway for winning Connacht, that is if the Selectors can remember that far back!
6 Dubs - Cluxton, Fitzsimmons, McCarthy (HB), Gannon, Basquel/Con/Costello
4 Kerry - Clifford, clifford, O'Sullivan, O'Connor
3 derry - McCloskey, Rodgers, McGuigan
1 Monaghan - McCarthy
1 other - Comer??

Estimator

McCarthy, Fenton and Rogers all nominated at midfield.. can they move players around after they've been nominated for a certain position? Thought they would've just had McCarthy as a defensive pick.
Ulster League Champions 2009

imtommygunn

I don't think they can no. I think they just nominate you where they want you to get an all star. If Rogers up for POTY surely he gets midfield and if he does you'd assume McCarthy.

Not sure Costello did enough in the final to get one though he was very good the rest of the year but he was very poor in final.

Estimator

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 29, 2023, 09:35:30 AMI don't think they can no. I think they just nominate you where they want you to get an all star. If Rogers up for POTY surely he gets midfield and if he does you'd assume McCarthy.

So with Fenton and Rogers up for PoTY, you'd think that McCarthy loses out?

It would be bizarre for a PoTY nominee not to receive an All Star and by the same token, would be strange if either Fenton or Rogers won PoTY but didn't get an All Star.
Open to correction, but I don't think any of the above has happened before.
Ulster League Champions 2009

imtommygunn

I can't name you who as I can't remember but I have a funny feeling a POTY nominee didn't get an all star before.

I would have thought McCarthy was nailed on for an all star and would have been nominated in the backs. Honestly would be surprised were he not to get one despite the nominations for POTY.Hard to predict tbh.

square_ball

Did Brian Whelahan get player of the year but no allstar in 1994?

imtommygunn

That's the one - well remembered.

whelehan

seafoid

13/16 counties got a nomination .
The season was strange. Dubs only really performed in last 10 mins of semi and final. Kerry could have won. Derry and Monaghan were very impressive. Maybe 9/10 for the finalists, 2 each for Derry and Monaghan. Ros deserve the non semifinalist sympathy f**k Allstar for recognition of progress made.  I would put them ahead of Galway who would deserve an injury all star but nothing else.

FOOTBALL ALL-STAR NOMINATIONS

Goalkeepers – Shane Ryan (Kerry), Stephen Cluxton (Dublin), Rory Beggan (Monaghan)

Defenders – Jason Foley, Tadhg Morley, Tom O'Sullivan, Gavin White (all Kerry); Michael Fitzsimons, Lee Gannon, Brian Howard (all Dublin); Gareth McKinless, Conor McCluskey, Eoin McEvoy (all Derry); Pádraig Hampsey (Tyrone); Brendan McCole (Donegal); Conor McCarthy, Karl O'Connell (both Monaghan); Seán Kelly (Galway); Aidan Forker (Armagh); Brian Stack (Roscommon); Rory Maguire (Cork).

Midfielders – Brian Fenton, James McCarthy (both Dublin); Conor Glass, Brendan Rogers (both Derry); Diarmuid O'Connor (Kerry); Diarmuid O'Connor (Mayo).

Forwards – David Clifford, Seán O'Shea, Paudie Clifford (all Kerry); Cormac Costello, Con O'Callaghan, Colm Basquel, Paul Mannion (all Dublin); Shane McGuigan, Paul Cassidy (both Derry); Conor McManus (Monaghan); Darragh Canavan (Tyrone); Andrew Murnin (Armagh); Ronan O'Toole (Westmeath); Damien Comer (Galway); Jordan Flynn (Mayo); Ben McCormack (Kildare); Oisín Gallen (Donegal); Enda Smith (Roscommon).

Player Of The Year – Brian Fenton (Dublin), David Clifford (Kerry), Brendan Rogers (Derry).

tbrick18

For me, Brendan Rogers was the best footballer in Ireland this year.
Deserves an Allstar and deserves POTY, imo.

My pick for Allstars in bold:

FOOTBALL ALL-STAR NOMINATIONS

Goalkeepers – Shane Ryan (Kerry), Stephen Cluxton (Dublin), Rory Beggan (Monaghan)

Defenders – Jason Foley, Tadhg Morley, Tom O'Sullivan, Gavin White (all Kerry); Michael Fitzsimons, Lee Gannon, Brian Howard (all Dublin); Gareth McKinless, Conor McCluskey, Eoin McEvoy (all Derry); Pádraig Hampsey (Tyrone); Brendan McCole (Donegal); Conor McCarthy, Karl O'Connell (both Monaghan); Seán Kelly (Galway); Aidan Forker (Armagh); Brian Stack (Roscommon); Rory Maguire (Cork).

Midfielders – Brian Fenton, James McCarthy (both Dublin); Conor Glass, Brendan Rogers (both Derry); Diarmuid O'Connor (Kerry); Diarmuid O'Connor (Mayo).

Forwards – David Clifford, Seán O'Shea, Paudie Clifford (all Kerry); Cormac Costello, Con O'Callaghan, Colm Basquel, Paul Mannion (all Dublin); Shane McGuigan, Paul Cassidy (both Derry); Conor McManus (Monaghan); Darragh Canavan (Tyrone); Andrew Murnin (Armagh); Ronan O'Toole (Westmeath); Damien Comer (Galway); Jordan Flynn (Mayo); Ben McCormack (Kildare); Oisín Gallen (Donegal); Enda Smith (Roscommon).

Player Of The Year – Brian Fenton (Dublin), David Clifford (Kerry), Brendan Rogers (Derry).

POTY - Brendan Rogers
YPOTY - Eoin McEvoy

Kerry - 4
Derry - 4
Dublin - 6

Ok, maybe a slight Derry bias there and I'd imagine Derry wont get 4. Just my opinion on what it should look like, not what it will actually be.