Dublin v Kerry 2023 Senior All Ireland final

Started by Blowitupref, July 16, 2023, 07:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mario

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 27, 2023, 07:53:36 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 27, 2023, 07:24:54 PM
I think we, with our rather abysmal display, painted the Kerry midfield in a fairly decent light, when in fact I think they're quite suspect, and I expect Fenton and Howard to expose that on Sunday.

Derry have a stronger midfield than Tyrone and arguably as strong as Dublin's and I thought Kerry took control of that area in the 2nd half of the semi final. Can Fenton produce the performance on Sunday similar to how he played against Monaghan when the game was in the melting pot? he wasn't overly impressive in this years championship before that match but certainly has the ability to turn it on when needed most.

Main thing Tyrone made Kerry look decent at was in defence. They were ropey in defence in the 1st half against Derry and for the majority of the game against Mayo, weren't great in the Munster final against Clare.  Defensively was their strength and key to winning the All Ireland last year and Sunday will show if they are really back to that level again defensively as they'll need to be to topple Dublin.
I watched the second half last night and I wouldn't say Kerry took control of that area 2nd half. Both teams were winning their own kick out until the last 10 min. In that period a couple were hit over the midfield and Kerry won the breaks but that was nothing to do with Glass or Rodgers. O'Connor and Barry broke one but they didn't win any clean possession. In general play Rogers was the best of the 4 by a long way.

Kerry defence were ropey enough second half v Derry too. Derry slowed it down second half but they created a lot of chances and missed too many. I said it after the game but Tyrone made Kerry look good and would have been well beaten by any div 1 team with the amount of times they coughed up possession in attack. I'll be very surprised if the Dubs don't win on Sunday.

yellowcard

I find it impossible to predict the outcome of this match. There is still some improvement in this Kerry side whilst I think Dublin are trying to dig out one last All Ireland from the remnants of the great side. You would think that this would favour the younger more energetic side but Kerry have not really convinced me for large parts of this season. The best form guide is the semi final from last season when it could have gone either way even though Kerry dominated for the best part of that match but Dublin have a few lads back in the squad since then and David Moran has now retired. I think this could go to a replay.   

statto

Quote from: yellowcard on July 28, 2023, 09:35:45 AM
I find it impossible to predict the outcome of this match. There is still some improvement in this Kerry side whilst I think Dublin are trying to dig out one last All Ireland from the remnants of the great side. You would think that this would favour the younger more energetic side but Kerry have not really convinced me for large parts of this season. The best form guide is the semi final from last season when it could have gone either way even though Kerry dominated for the best part of that match but Dublin have a few lads back in the squad since then and David Moran has now retired. I think this could go to a replay.
Is there extra time or straight to replay?  Find it strange that there is replays at this stage, but not earlier in the competition(would suggest this is due to not having enough room in the calendar), would it not be best to have the same rules throughout?

BuzzCagney

Quote from: tyrone08 on July 27, 2023, 11:04:09 PM
Quote from: Keane on July 27, 2023, 10:49:29 PM
Out of pure genuine interest what's dislikable about Sean O'Shea? I don't know him at all but seems like the quintessential dedicated, hard working, team first kind of footballer

Watch the amount of sneaky hits and closed fist tackles he does. That will change your mind

Agree O'Shea and Paudie Clifford get away with lot of dirty hits. Marty or Canning never  call as too much drooling over kerry.

BuzzCagney

Quote from: Piskin on July 28, 2023, 03:59:23 AM
Quote from: tyrone08 on July 27, 2023, 11:04:09 PM
Quote from: Keane on July 27, 2023, 10:49:29 PM
Out of pure genuine interest what's dislikable about Sean O'Shea? I don't know him at all but seems like the quintessential dedicated, hard working, team first kind of footballer

Watch the amount of sneaky hits and closed fist tackles he does. That will change your mind

He is overall a clean footballer...

🤣🤣🤣

mouview

At 5/4 I think the Dubs are great value. Much stronger team all round and would hardly be likely to miss the clutch scoring chances Derry did coming down the stretch. Bar the wonderful David Clifford I think the rest of the Kerry attack is very average  - would Stephen O'Brien or Paul Geaney be anywhere near starting for their opponent? I'd also give Dublin a pronounced advantage in midfield. Quite surprised Kerry are slight favourites for this to be honest.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: statto on July 28, 2023, 10:30:04 AM
Is there extra time or straight to replay?  Find it strange that there is replays at this stage, but not earlier in the competition(would suggest this is due to not having enough room in the calendar), would it not be best to have the same rules throughout?

So if there are 3 drawn games they are refitted the following week, leaving a team less time (as this was a big complaint of teams that didnt win their titles and had to play a week later. even though that would mean no incentive for winning a title in the first place) to prepare and being at a disadvantage for ones to complain they shoulda had longer merry-go-round !

Finals at senior grade be they club or intercounty, have, in the main always if drawn in normal time go to extra time and then a replay
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

statto

Quote from: mouview on July 28, 2023, 11:35:49 AM

At 5/4 I think the Dubs are great value. Much stronger team all round and would hardly be likely to miss the clutch scoring chances Derry did coming down the stretch. Bar the wonderful David Clifford I think the rest of the Kerry attack is very average  - would Stephen O'Brien or Paul Geaney be anywhere near starting for their opponent? I'd also give Dublin a pronounced advantage in midfield. Quite surprised Kerry are slight favourites for this to be honest.

I would agree.  While it is not as simple as this 1 point game last year, Dubs have added Mannion, McCaffrey, Cluxton, Con to the team would have Dublin as slight favourites.  Home advantage and a drought of such not having won AI in 3 years, think there need is more and likely the last dance for some of games greats. 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: statto on July 28, 2023, 11:51:55 AM

I would agree.  While it is not as simple as this 1 point game last year, Dubs have added Mannion, McCaffrey, Cluxton, Con to the team would have Dublin as slight favourites.  Home advantage and a drought of such not having won AI in 3 years, think there need is more and likely the last dance for some of games greats.

Would it be best to move the final to some other county? I'm really bored of the home advantage line, it's Croke park, ask anyone where do they want to play they will all say Croke Park, not the Athletic Grounds
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rawhide

It doesn't matter if your bored, you can't get a way from the stats, Dublin play all of their league and championship games in Croke Park, have done for years. Its their home ground. Imagine St Galls getting to play every championship game they ever played in the period they had a serious team, its would have been very helpful to them and certainly been a disadvantage to their opposition.
cccc is a true supporter lol

statto

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 28, 2023, 12:00:36 PM
Quote from: statto on July 28, 2023, 11:51:55 AM

Would it be best to move the final to some other county? I'm really bored of the home advantage line, it's Croke park, ask anyone where do they want to play they will all say Croke Park, not the Athletic Grounds

Its a fact that Dublin get more exposure to the ground which will give them an advantage.  The game should be in croke park absolutely.  Be some struggle for tickets for 18,000 capacity stadium  ::)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rawhide on July 28, 2023, 12:07:03 PM
It doesn't matter if your bored, you can't get a way from the stats, Dublin play all of their league and championship games in Croke Park, have done for years. Its their home ground. Imagine St Galls getting to play every championship game they ever played in the period they had a serious team, its would have been very helpful to them and certainly been a disadvantage to their opposition.

So I've asked the question, where do we play the final?

We played Cross in Cross and in Newry, they won each time because they were the better team on the day.

If having the game at Croke for the last hundred odd years then Dublin, because of the advantage should have the most hurling and football titles than anyone else

Blowitupref

Quote from: statto on July 28, 2023, 10:30:04 AM

If level ón 70 minutes Sunday it goes to extra time, if level after extra time it then goes to a replay.

The replay would be finished on the day (All-Ireland could be won on penalties)
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

twohands!!!

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 28, 2023, 01:18:58 PM
Quote from: Rawhide on July 28, 2023, 12:07:03 PM

So I've asked the question, where do we play the final?

We played Cross in Cross and in Newry, they won each time because they were the better team on the day.

If having the game at Croke for the last hundred odd years then Dublin, because of the advantage should have the most hurling and football titles than anyone else

It's not the only factor in the number of titles, but it clearly is a factor.
Imagine for a minute that the All-Ireland was held in Fitzgerald Stadium in Killarney for the last 100 years?
Would Kerry have more, less or the same number of titles?

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose