Derry v Kerry AISF Sunday 16th July 4pm

Started by JoG2, July 03, 2023, 10:30:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

restorepride

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 12, 2023, 02:30:46 PM
Good job u didn't see the Clare goal in Longford, then u be really giving out, it was brutal.
Saw it.  What do you think he was trying to do?

restorepride

Quote from: statto on July 12, 2023, 02:11:23 PM
Quote from: restorepride on July 12, 2023, 01:28:32 PM
Quote from: statto on July 12, 2023, 01:07:06 PM
Quote from: restorepride on July 12, 2023, 12:46:32 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 12, 2023, 09:22:40 AM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/07/12/darragh-o-se-anything-can-happen-in-an-all-ireland-semi-final-but-i-dont-see-derry-or-monaghan-winning/
Kerry will just want to stick with their kicking game, same as they did against Tyrone. They will get chances, through David Clifford and Seánie O'Shea obviously, but they also got some good return from the bench the last day as well, through the likes of Tony Brosnan and Stephen O'Brien.

Do Derry have a kicking game?
Yes - Odhrán Lynch always kicks the ball out - never fails.

This could be a game where Lynch is exposed think hes a poor keeper, his contribution out the field has improved but think Derry to win AI with him in goals.  Is there any potential competition coming forward for Derry seem be badly short in this area.
A strong whiff of 'saved too many penalties' in that post.  Lynch has been superb this year, especially in the Ulster Final victory.
There is mistakes in him for sure and if Kerry go after him can be got on at the kickouts.  My opinion on him is nothing to do with Derry beating Armagh on penalties.  Penalties are a lottery and while he did well to save a few this on its own doesn't elevate him to a top class keeper. 

Clare game last year turns his back on first goal, 2nd goal goes walkabout really poor keeping his attempt to narrow the angle was woeful.  Galway game beat at near post first goal and walkabout for the second.  In big games in croker to date hasn't covered himself in glory. 

I wish Derry all the success for Sunday and will be hoping they get over the line.
His penalty saves in the Ulster final were absolutely top class.  Get over it.  He has made mistakes, as all players do but overall he is the best we have and has worked really hard on improving his game in the last year.  Has scored more from play this year than some of our forwards. 

imtommygunn

He has went from being a potential weak link to being a vital part of Derry's game. Very noticeable improvement in his ability under the high ball this year too and has definitely grown in confidence.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

JoG2

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/07/12/darragh-o-se-anything-can-happen-in-an-all-ireland-semi-final-but-i-dont-see-derry-or-monaghan-winning/
Kerry will just want to stick with their kicking game, same as they did against Tyrone. They will get chances, through David Clifford and Seánie O'Shea obviously, but they also got some good return from the bench the last day as well, through the likes of Tony Brosnan and Stephen O'Brien.

This could be a game where Lynch is exposed think hes a poor keeper, his contribution out the field has improved but think Derry to win AI with him in goals.  Is there any potential competition coming forward for Derry seem be badly short in this area.

I know what's poor and it's not Lynch's ability as a keeper.

JoG2

statto

Quote from: restorepride on July 12, 2023, 04:39:12 PM

A strong whiff of 'saved too many penalties' in that post.  Lynch has been superb this year, especially in the Ulster Final victory.
There is mistakes in him for sure and if Kerry go after him can be got on at the kickouts.  My opinion on him is nothing to do with Derry beating Armagh on penalties.  Penalties are a lottery and while he did well to save a few this on its own doesn't elevate him to a top class keeper. 

Clare game last year turns his back on first goal, 2nd goal goes walkabout really poor keeping his attempt to narrow the angle was woeful.  Galway game beat at near post first goal and walkabout for the second.  In big games in croker to date hasn't covered himself in glory. 

I wish Derry all the success for Sunday and will be hoping they get over the line.
His penalty saves in the Ulster final were absolutely top class.  Get over it.  He has made mistakes, as all players do but overall he is the best we have and has worked really hard on improving his game in the last year.  Has scored more from play this year than some of our forwards.
I acknowledge he did well to save the penalties but it's not a fundamental part of goalkeeping he may not be involved in another penalty shoot out for five years.  I also acknowledged that he has improved out the field also.  I would like to think all inter county players "work hard". Apologies for highlighting a potential weak link in the Derry side or having an opinion.

statto

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 12, 2023, 05:12:24 PM
He has went from being a potential weak link to being a vital part of Derry's game. Very noticeable improvement in his ability under the high ball this year too and has definitely grown in confidence.
The Dublin first goal in the league final would suggest the high ball is a work in progress. (Would also question the positioning for the 4th goal.) In the modern game the keeper is arguably the most vital position on the pitch, so he is always going to be a vital cog in the wheel if continues to be selected. Anyway, hope he has a stormer Sunday and Derry make it back to AI final has been too long a proud county who are always very competitive at macrory and underage level.

bennydorano

From my reading of this thread some Derry posters seem to think they've been poor to middling for most of the year, yet in the same breath think there's exponential room for improvement & it will all come good v Kerry, seems foolproof. I think their performances this year are indicative of where they're really at, a good systematic team with 2 great players but not in Kerry's league. Their system will eventually fail as Kerry have too many good footballers and will punch holes in it increasingly more as the game goes on. As I said previously fair chance McGuigan and / or Glass accidentally get buried early doors. I expect Kerry to win by 5-7 pts.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bennydorano on July 12, 2023, 08:23:24 PM
From my reading of this thread some Derry posters seem to think they've been poor to middling for most of the year, yet in the same breath think there's exponential room for improvement & it will all come good v Kerry, seems foolproof. I think their performances this year are indicative of where they're really at, a good systematic team with 2 great players but not in Kerry's league. Their system will eventually fail as Kerry have too many good footballers and will punch holes in it increasingly more as the game goes on. As I said previously fair chance McGuigan and / or Glass accidentally get buried early doors. I expect Kerry to win by 5-7 pts.

If a team is t putting on early 'reducers' to main players then they ain't helping themselves.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Derryman forever

What sort of a supporter would you be without hope and belief

restorepride

Quote from: statto on July 12, 2023, 07:48:57 PM
Quote from: restorepride on July 12, 2023, 04:39:12 PM

I acknowledge he did well to save the penalties but it's not a fundamental part of goalkeeping he may not be involved in another penalty shoot out for five years. I also acknowledged that he has improved out the field also.  I would like to think all inter county players "work hard". Apologies for highlighting a potential weak link in the Derry side or having an opinion.
Ethan Rafferty may have a thought on that stat!!  No apology required - apparently we are all allowed an opinion on here! 

restorepride

Agree with some of that but remember that we are Ulster Champions for the last two years.  Some credit and respect please.  We have reached Division 1 from Division 4.  Some credit and respect please.  We are in the last 4 of the All Ireland Championship for the second year in a row.   Some credit and respect please.  Not bad for a team with 2 great players.  Pure jealousy leaked out there.  If Kerry want to bury a few, which is unlikely, let them try.  Neither Glass nor McGuigan will be easy buried.