Derry v Kerry AISF Sunday 16th July 4pm

Started by JoG2, July 03, 2023, 10:30:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

Rules understood fine, the 1st Cork player ankle tapped him and he was going down, the 2nd just jumped on him, maybe u should watch it again.

Wildweasel74

It be manner of opinion on the manager, I think Derry fell away since Gallagher left, Shocking last week, poor against Clare, good against Donegal, poor against Monaghan, buck average against Armagh. I suppose it come down to what sort of game the Kerry  game is.

tbrick18

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 08, 2023, 01:20:09 PM
It be manner of opinion on the manager, I think Derry fell away since Gallagher left, Shocking last week, poor against Clare, good against Donegal, poor against Monaghan, buck average against Armagh. I suppose it come down to what sort of game the Kerry  game is.

Performance levels have definitely dipped since Gallagher left.
Hopefully the magnitude of the occasion will help motivate players to play to the max of their ability and intensity.

onefineday

Quote from: tbrick18 on July 08, 2023, 02:00:37 PM

Hopefully the magnitude of the occasion will help motivate players to play to the max of their ability and intensity.
Not sure that's really the case.
Ulster final was what it was, definite impact on what had went on all week, plus Armagh got tactics right fir a while.
Monaghan - definite drop off, but again, element of anti-climax going to a half full Celtic park to play Monaghan again after the emotions of the ulster final.
Donegal - good performance
Clare - did what they had to do - was the performance against Clare in the league any better?
Cork - again, looked comfortable throughout in difficult conditions, did enough.
Gallagher did a fine job getting the squad to commit, outlining a tactical approach and innovations, but I'm not sure that his 'motivational' approach along the line added much, and even if it did at some point, it was bound to be wearing thin by this stage. His major failing was in not developing a squad, the win and hammer it home mentality which we saw that throughout the league wasn't helpful. In games that were never in doubt, he repeatedly waited until very late before making his 2 or 3 subs, showing no trust on the bench whatsoever,
Next Sunday will show us where we're at and inform us on how far our style can take us, there'll be no excuses and I don't think anyone will doubt the appetite or motivation of the players. These guys have given up a hell of a lot to be where they are and get this chance and I'd be surprised if the absence of Gallagher running up and down the sideline roaring at them would add much to their commitment.

bannside

Great post. From what I hear the players like Meenagh and Muldoon, and their approach is every bit as professional.

God14

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 03, 2023, 08:41:59 PM
It will be a difficult approach I feel, tactically do Derry stick with cautious defensive early approach and take advantages of counter attacking Kerry?

Or do they say, f**k it, let's go out and die with our boots on and unlock the chains?

Derry will definitely go with the cautious defensive approach. In fact, i think they go back to the tactics that served them well in 2022. Ultra defensive, intense, counter attacking. All 15 within their own 45. 2023 has saw them commit bodies further forward, but this approach will be cast aside on Sunday.
Glass in particular will have to maintain a position quite close to his full back line. Derry will be susceptible to direct high ball into Guiney and D Clifford.

Have Derry senior footballers ever beaten Kerry in a championship match in their history?

seanyb

Quote from: God14 on July 10, 2023, 12:13:04 PM
It will be a difficult approach I feel, tactically do Derry stick with cautious defensive early approach and take advantages of counter attacking Kerry?

Or do they say, f**k it, let's go out and die with our boots on and unlock the chains?

Derry will definitely go with the cautious defensive approach. In fact, i think they go back to the tactics that served them well in 2022. Ultra defensive, intense, counter attacking. All 15 within their own 45. 2023 has saw them commit bodies further forward, but this approach will be cast aside on Sunday.
Glass in particular will have to maintain a position quite close to his full back line. Derry will be susceptible to direct high ball into Guiney and D Clifford.

Have Derry senior footballers ever beaten Kerry in a championship match in their history?

Yep, 1958 All Ireland Semi Final.....

Derryman forever

.AISF 1958 .

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Who?

McKaigue and McEvoy not to mention Rogers in an emergency - are more than big enough and hairy enough to deal with high ball you would think? If any ball breaks there will be 27 Derry men on it also..
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Real Talk

Yea the also beat Kerry 2 -11 to 1-13 (after extra time)  in the 1984 Centenary at Tuam .... Damian Cassidy was the star and scored one of the Goals i think

tbrick18

Quote from: onefineday on July 09, 2023, 09:15:42 AM
Quote from: tbrick18 on July 08, 2023, 02:00:37 PM

Not sure that's really the case.
Ulster final was what it was, definite impact on what had went on all week, plus Armagh got tactics right fir a while.
Monaghan - definite drop off, but again, element of anti-climax going to a half full Celtic park to play Monaghan again after the emotions of the ulster final.
Donegal - good performance
Clare - did what they had to do - was the performance against Clare in the league any better?
Cork - again, looked comfortable throughout in difficult conditions, did enough.
Gallagher did a fine job getting the squad to commit, outlining a tactical approach and innovations, but I'm not sure that his 'motivational' approach along the line added much, and even if it did at some point, it was bound to be wearing thin by this stage. His major failing was in not developing a squad, the win and hammer it home mentality which we saw that throughout the league wasn't helpful. In games that were never in doubt, he repeatedly waited until very late before making his 2 or 3 subs, showing no trust on the bench whatsoever,
Next Sunday will show us where we're at and inform us on how far our style can take us, there'll be no excuses and I don't think anyone will doubt the appetite or motivation of the players. These guys have given up a hell of a lot to be where they are and get this chance and I'd be surprised if the absence of Gallagher running up and down the sideline roaring at them would add much to their commitment.

I certainly think that Gallagher along the line made sure that no-one switched off during a match.
For example (and I dont like picking out individual players), Nial Loughlin would at times not track back enough. Gallagher certainly kept him on his toes and if he didn't track the whole ground would have heard Gallagher. We miss that at the moment I feel.
Not for a second trying to take away from Meenagh here, from what I understand he was instrumental in progressing Derry through the divisions and there's no doubt he knows his football and the players like him.
I think we are just missing that wee ruthless edge from management, the likes of Jack O'Connor has it for example.

As for Gallagher not developing a squad, I feel the squad is made up of the best players in the county currently, with the exception of 1 or 2 like Emmet Bradley. Do we want an inflated squad with players who will probably never make it, or a core of players who all have realistic chances? I'd rather the core we have with 3-4 players to come in. We are short a couple due to injury in McWilliams and one of the Downey's, with them back the squad will look much better. We also have players who can do a job in multiple positions which helps manage the squad size. Rodgers can play from Full back to MF, McKinnless can do a job in MF as well as half back, any of our wing backs/forwards can interchange. The only place we are really light is the FF line - but we do have Murray there who I think is fantastic.
So I do think we have options there.

God14

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on July 10, 2023, 03:01:36 PM

Who?

McKaigue and McEvoy not to mention Rogers in an emergency - are more than big enough and hairy enough to deal with high ball you would think? If any ball breaks there will be 27 Derry men on it also..

I think Clifford & Geaney would have a significant advantage aerially over McEvoy & McKaigue myself. Lets see.

seanyb

Quote from: Real Talk on July 10, 2023, 03:11:23 PM

Yea the also beat Kerry 2 -11 to 1-13 (after extra time)  in the 1984 Centenary at Tuam .... Damian Cassidy was the star and scored one of the Goals i think

I know it's only the league, but forgot about this one https://munster.gaa.ie/event/allianz-football-league-division-1-kerry-v-derry/

lenny

This game will come down to whether Derry's flair and creativity up front for which they've been lauded this season can overcome the ultra defensive setup of paddy tallys kerry. Derry have shown a fantastic ability to open up packed defences but came unstuck in last year's semifinal when galway came with an ultra defensive setup. Unfortunately I think Kerry will copy that approach and it will inevitably curtail our scoring chances. At the other end Derry will be well organised but it's impossible to totally cancel out Clifford.If we limit him there are so many other threats but hopefully we can be close.

Derryman forever

Quote from: seanyb on July 10, 2023, 03:25:01 PM
Quote from: Real Talk on July 10, 2023, 03:11:23 PM

I know it's only the league, but forgot about this one https://munster.gaa.ie/event/allianz-football-league-division-1-kerry-v-derry/

Beat them im the 2008 League final.
Gooch and Donaghey were in their prime that year.