Derry v Kerry AISF Sunday 16th July 4pm

Started by JoG2, July 03, 2023, 10:30:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

restorepride

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 14, 2023, 09:05:20 PM
Quote from: restorepride on July 14, 2023, 08:06:30 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 14, 2023, 05:53:28 PM
One thing, and I say this as someone who favours Derry, that sticks out to me on this forum is that there seems little acceptance that Dublin absolutely destroyed you in the second half of the league final. Con O'Callaghan tore you apart. There could have been eight goals but there seems to be an excuse for every goal.

I would love to see Derry win this one and it is very hard to gauge if that league game is a one off or if glass and mckaigue back their will be a big enough swing in your favour. Game could be very tight or a hammering. Would love to see Derry win a tight game. If Kerry start what Dublin did though Derry are in big bother.
Didn't realise this thread was about the League Final.  Is that what you want to discuss or the league match out of the nest, in Celtic Park?

I wasn't the one started discussing it and you'll find out this weekend whether it's relevant or not.
But we're playing Kerry, not Dublin!! Did nobody tell you?!!

JoG2

Quote from: restorepride on July 14, 2023, 09:01:53 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 14, 2023, 03:14:24 PM
It's not as if good players we let go, Jack Doherty was very badly handled, and I Think with the right chat with E, bradley, would brought him bck in late to. Dan Higgins, also should be in the panel, he probably left tail end of last tear.
Who would Jack replace for Sunday?

Wildweasel74 must translate as 'broken record' in some language... ;D

Derry by 3

Silver hill

It's not as if good players we let go, Jack Doherty was very badly handled, and I Think with the right chat with E, bradley, would brought him bck in late to. Dan Higgins, also should be in the panel, he probably left tail end of last tear.

Jack Doherty, on his form for Glen last year, is a better footballer than Niall loughlin, Niall toner or Benny Heron

restorepride

Quote from: Silver hill on July 14, 2023, 10:43:50 PM

Jack Doherty, on his form for Glen last year, is a better footballer than Niall loughlin, Niall toner or Benny Heron
And on county form?

JoG2

But it takes more than being a better footballer than someone else these days, county is a different beast

restorepride

Quote from: JoG2 on July 14, 2023, 10:49:24 PM

But it takes more than being a better footballer than someone else these days, county is a different beast
Exactly - and generally you have to be in Ireland.

JoG2

Quote from: restorepride on July 14, 2023, 10:50:19 PM

Tally gets flown down to Kerry a few times a week...... Just saying  :D

marty34

90% of footballers are the same - robots.

Up and down the field. Keep the ball.  Pass it sideways.

They have no meaningful impact on the game.  That goes for all counties.

restorepride

Quote from: marty34 on July 14, 2023, 10:53:37 PM

How do you get a winner then?  AI?

JoG2

There are definitely workmanlike / athletic players on a team who perform certain basics well, but your assertion above is beyond ridiculous

Wildweasel74

How could you have judged his county form, Gallagher played him like 3 mins in a league home game and a sub in another away game last year . Yes he's out of the country, and had made it clear he wouldn't play for Gallagher. Had he been in the country and a no.of games under his belt I be starting  him. I think our goalkeeper and full bck line scored more than a couple of our corner forwards.

marty34

Quote from: JoG2 on July 14, 2023, 11:07:51 PM

There are definitely workmanlike / athletic players on a team who perform certain basics well, but your assertion above is beyond ridiculous

It's true.  Yo've admitted to it. Players who are workmanlike, good basics and recycle the ball sideways and backways.

This is the majority of players on any team now - whether that be county or club.

onefineday

Quote from: screenexile on July 14, 2023, 11:34:25 AM
Judging by the current media round there's no point in turning up everyone wants a Kerry Dublin final to "save football"

We might as well just stop playing the game altogether and let Kerry and Dublin play every game between themselves!
Some of the utterly uninformed commentary is laughable. I listened to colm Boyle and Darren O'Sullivan on newstalk, Boyle was awful, throwing out line after line of nonsense showing that his only exposure to Derry was cos he got in early for the mayo v Dublin game and watched a few mins.
A lot of commentary has been the same, ultra defensive, play keep ball for minutes on end, slow methodical attacks which can't work (no recognition that those attacks were v cork, Galway and Donegal in games where all 30 players were in the opponent's half), not capable of attacking any other way, very limited panel, no supporting cast up front unlike Kerry (presume this is because seanie has played a little better the last 2 games).

I don't know, but I've seen the majority of Derry games the last few years and most of the shite being written isn't reflective of what we've been watching. Someone was questioning whether Derry can score goals for example - I suspect they're amongst the most clinical and goal minded teams around?

Really looking forward to this one and it will really tell us where we're at, Kerry can be vulnerable we've seen that all year, obviously a very good team, but Clifford aside is there much in it man for man?

They were really up for Tyrone, it might be difficult to get to that same level against a team they're expected to beat comfortably, better to save themselves for the dream final, it could be like that 2015 classic all over again!

I'm taking Glass to give us a masterclass tomorrow, defensively and attacking wise, redeem himself for last year's semi and nail on his footballer of the year credentials. Easy!!