Only good players make good managers!

Started by corn02, June 14, 2007, 12:21:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deal_Me_In

Whats the general consensus on Charlie Mulgrew. In his first year in charge he brought a Fermanagh team to the AI semi final but has failed to reproduce the same type of form since with the same team.
After that year Charlie could probably have walked into almost any managers job in Ireland, now would any county/large club even consider him?

Denn Forever

Surely the obvious person to talk about is Sean Boylan.  Was he not a hurler rather thanh a footballer but how many different groups of players did he bring to all-ireland success?

I can see the reason why clubs go for outside managers (players may be used to a particular trainer) but if there is no desire within the team, even Micko will not work.

Re goalkeepers, the first training  a goalkeeper should get ti o attack the bal.  Look at attacker coming in on goal.  As he gets nearer, the goal keepr wll throw his a_se at the ball.  What he should do is stand up and make the attacker make a decision.  When the attacker makes the decision, the goalkeeper should attempt to block the kick.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

stpauls

the goalkeeping point is a perfect example, having experience of this myself. would prefer to do the fitness side of training, and i have no problem of this, but when i have to take part in shooting practise when it is of no value to me, you start to question training methods. will the other players are doing shooting drills, there should be some drills for the goalkeeper to hone (spelling) their shot stopping skills and reactions etc.