Kerry v Throne AIQF - Saturday July 1st

Started by Ciarrai_thuaidh, June 26, 2023, 07:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: blanketattack on July 04, 2023, 06:17:44 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on July 04, 2023, 05:59:49 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on July 04, 2023, 03:06:56 PM
Beat me to it again ArmaghMike.  ;D

Kerry have always had great footballers over the years and haven't gone too many years barron of a top top player like Clifford, Gooch, Fitzy etc but like you said football skills wont win you an All-Ireland on it's own.
For years it was always the Dubs and Kerry were the main players and then somebody would come along and challenge them like Down in the 60s.

Kerry on Saturday looked like a team very focused with a lot of anger and revenge in their heads, hell bent in showing up these arrogant Northern lot for what they really see them as. O'Connor isn't everyone's cup of tea in Kerry I believe but he certainly knows how to get the job done. The lengths he went to last year to bring in the right people and as you said re-adapt to how the modern game is played now, whether you like it or not.

Kerry knew the early stages of this year meant nothing and losing to Mayo wouldn't define their season, in fact it was a bit like Tyrone losing to Kerry in the league in 21 and creating a false sense of where they were at.

I think they will win the AI this year with quite a bit to spare and believe they have improved from last year.
They showed on Sat that they aren't totally dependent on Clifford and can still put up a big score if he's well marshalled.

I believe that Kerry did coast through the League but losing to Mayo was certainly not in their plans and nor is there any real evidence to suggest that they have improved from last year. If Con O'Callaghan had been fit for last years AI semi final I believe that the Dubs would have won that AI title. That game I believe is still the most reliable form guide and the Dubs are very marginal favourites at the minute because of O'Callaghan and the other returning players. I certainly don't think either side will win it easily.

Kerry were far better than the scoreline suggested against Dublin last year.
Kerry missed a penalty and O'brien missed a sitter. Should have been 12 points up instead of 6, then Kerry gift Dublin a goal and start to panic. The confidence that win has given Kerry is of great benefit though.
If Con O'Callaghan was missing for the Dublin-Mayo game in 2021 I bet most people would have said, "If Con wasn't missing Dublin would have won", so I don't buy the narrative that Dublin would have won that game with Con

Slightly delusional stuff there -- if Niall Scully hadn't fluffed his wild effort at  a point in the dying seconds of that Semi (which wouldn't have happened under Gavin, not a  chance) allowing Kerry a kick-out and Seán Ó Shea's  monster free, the SAM was destined elsewhere. But, them's the breaks, just like 2021! 😀
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

yellowcard

Kerry have always had great footballers over the years and haven't gone too many years barron of a top top player like Clifford, Gooch, Fitzy etc but like you said football skills wont win you an All-Ireland on it's own.
For years it was always the Dubs and Kerry were the main players and then somebody would come along and challenge them like Down in the 60s.

Kerry on Saturday looked like a team very focused with a lot of anger and revenge in their heads, hell bent in showing up these arrogant Northern lot for what they really see them as. O'Connor isn't everyone's cup of tea in Kerry I believe but he certainly knows how to get the job done. The lengths he went to last year to bring in the right people and as you said re-adapt to how the modern game is played now, whether you like it or not.

Kerry knew the early stages of this year meant nothing and losing to Mayo wouldn't define their season, in fact it was a bit like Tyrone losing to Kerry in the league in 21 and creating a false sense of where they were at.

I think they will win the AI this year with quite a bit to spare and believe they have improved from last year.
They showed on Sat that they aren't totally dependent on Clifford and can still put up a big score if he's well marshalled.

I believe that Kerry did coast through the League but losing to Mayo was certainly not in their plans and nor is there any real evidence to suggest that they have improved from last year. If Con O'Callaghan had been fit for last years AI semi final I believe that the Dubs would have won that AI title. That game I believe is still the most reliable form guide and the Dubs are very marginal favourites at the minute because of O'Callaghan and the other returning players. I certainly don't think either side will win it easily.

Kerry missed a penalty and O'brien missed a sitter. Should have been 12 points up instead of 6, then Kerry gift Dublin a goal and start to panic. The confidence that win has given Kerry is of great benefit though.
If Con O'Callaghan was missing for the Dublin-Mayo game in 2021 I bet most people would have said, "If Con wasn't missing Dublin would have won", so I don't buy the narrative that Dublin would have won that game with Con

It's only an opinion and nobody can know for sure but he was the form player in the country along with Clifford heading into last years semi final when Kerry were more dominant than they have been this season. I fancied Kerry to beat the Dubs before last years semi final but they stumbled over the line. This year I'm not so sure but it's still very much a toss of a coin until we see the semi finals. Kerry have youth on their side so Ibthink they'll win more AI titles in the years to come regardless. I'm not sure about the Dubs though they are more reliant on one last sting from a dying wasp.

BuzzCagney

You fear for Dublin defence against kerry forwards. This Kerry team unlike the team naughties don't shit the bed in tight games. Kerry cynicism goes under the radar allowing them to get 15 behind the ball.

restorepride

Quote from: square_ball on July 04, 2023, 06:05:08 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 04, 2023, 05:47:06 PM
Do you really think Kerry looked focused and angry on Saturday? They didn't look too flushed or puffed out with effort, I think Tyrone just rolled over and allowed Kerry to tickle their bellies

Paudie Clifford was definitely angry for one.
He hasn't recovered from his sending-off acceptance speech. Did he serve a ban for that outburst yet? Maybe not because he is from Ciarraí, where long Covid is still a joke. Could come back to bite Clann Uí Shé. Serious issue for some.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: restorepride on July 04, 2023, 10:53:36 PM
Do you really think Kerry looked focused and angry on Saturday? They didn't look too flushed or puffed out with effort, I think Tyrone just rolled over and allowed Kerry to tickle their bellies

He hasn't recovered from his sending-off acceptance speech. Did he serve a ban for that outburst yet? Maybe not because he is from Ciarraí, where long Covid is still a joke. Could come back to bite Clann Uí Shé. Serious issue for some.

Jesus, you Tyroneies are soft as f**k
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Mikhailov

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 04, 2023, 11:20:55 PM

Jesus, you Tyroneies are soft as f**k

Restore is an oak leaf man

Seamus

Quote from: rrhf on June 30, 2023, 03:37:37 PM
Quote from: Seamus on June 30, 2023, 01:50:42 AM
Quote from: HokeyPokey on June 27, 2023, 03:45:30 PM

Kerry have always been heavy favourites any time they have played Tyrone and pretty much any team they play except for some of the time against the all conquering Dublin team. Tyrone and Kerry both got beaten well by Dublin in finals. The match between them was tight in 2019 and Tyrone definitely left that one behind them, though Kerry had beaten Tyrone well in the league that year.

Tyrone were underdogs in the semi and final. They were missing 5 players for the Ulster final and had to deal with difficult circumstances, to put it mildy, for the semi with several players still not right. Tyrone should have wrapped up things in normal time against Kerry and indeed in the first half of extra time, while also getting two black cards when Kerry should have also had similar. Clifford pulled up with cramp, which wasn't really fortuitous, it was most likely him not being well enough conditioned for such an intense game.

Tyrone beat Cavan (the Ulster champions), Donegal, Monaghan, Kerry and Mayo to win the All-Ireland. So three Division 1 teams and Mayo who got promoted and were in the final the previous year. Kerry beat Cork (Munster champions), Limerick, Mayo, Dublin and Galway in 2022. That's two Division 1 teams, one who got relegated and one promoted division 2 team.

Why was Tyrone's win an aligning of the stars and not Kerry's?

FYI David Clifford did not suffer from cramp that day. He went off injured with a dead leg as a result of a knee to the thigh by Niall Morgan. He labored badly for at least the last 10 minutes of regulation. Conditioning was not the issue as you state.

Thats an amazing insight into your thought patterns but Im not letting you create that narrative in this case.  Do you believe Morgan shouldnt have went for the ball and let what was a wayward pass be won uncontested by Clifford. Even if that was the case why was he even stretching out cramp on the sideline by the way...
[/quote]

Not trying to create any narrative. I'm going by video evidence along with word from within the Kerry camp. Watch when the injury occurred here at the 1hr 19 minute mark. https://o-trim.co/yoGovq

Clifford had an ice pack on his thigh during extra time, clearly seen on television. Have a look at the recent Sunday Game, in the lead up to the Kerry/Tyrone highlights, the ice pack on his thigh is also shown. Just want to debunk this cramp myth as that is all it is, a myth. Absolutely, Niall Morgan did what he had to do in competing for the ball. It was 100% an accident. I'm not in one way trying to take away from Tyrone's AI win, it was fully deserved. All Ireland wins are hard earned, I hate it when counties are not given full credit. You seem to be a very decent poster so it came as a surprise that you of all people are trying to indicate that I'm attempting to create a narrative. Just as in all walks of life I only stick to the facts.

There is another Tyrone poster that I really take issue with though. He is constantly trying to create the narrative that Kerry are bad losers and even worse winners. This even seeps down to club level where he also made some crazy remarks on this year's junior final. County supporters who are used to winning and losing take it in their stride and that goes for every Kerry supporter I know. His hatred for Kerry knows no bounds. It's doubtful if he even knows one Kerry person. It is another myth that Kerry never gave Tyrone credit for their victories in '03, '05 and '08. This was all media driven. They had some of the greatest players to ever play the game. Peter Canavan may well be the best ever. There is no way that Dublin would have won 6 in a row, nor anywhere close, if that Tyrone team arrived at the same time.

The win on Saturday was special because of the respect we have for Tyrone. Sport is a lot about rivalry and should have nothing to do with hatred. If there is hatred in your heart keep away and find another hobby. Be the first to congratulate the winner and console the loser. A year is a very short time in sport, cherish the wins and don't get too down about the defeats. Tyrone will be back, Darragh and Ruairi Canavan as special players and Tyrone are recent U20 winners .
"I wish I could inspire the same confidence in the truth which is so readily accorded to lies".

BuzzCagney

Paudie Clifford didn't get ban for club final.

Lucifer

Quote from: Seamus on July 05, 2023, 01:24:42 AM

Kerry have always been heavy favourites any time they have played Tyrone and pretty much any team they play except for some of the time against the all conquering Dublin team. Tyrone and Kerry both got beaten well by Dublin in finals. The match between them was tight in 2019 and Tyrone definitely left that one behind them, though Kerry had beaten Tyrone well in the league that year.

Tyrone were underdogs in the semi and final. They were missing 5 players for the Ulster final and had to deal with difficult circumstances, to put it mildy, for the semi with several players still not right. Tyrone should have wrapped up things in normal time against Kerry and indeed in the first half of extra time, while also getting two black cards when Kerry should have also had similar. Clifford pulled up with cramp, which wasn't really fortuitous, it was most likely him not being well enough conditioned for such an intense game.

Tyrone beat Cavan (the Ulster champions), Donegal, Monaghan, Kerry and Mayo to win the All-Ireland. So three Division 1 teams and Mayo who got promoted and were in the final the previous year. Kerry beat Cork (Munster champions), Limerick, Mayo, Dublin and Galway in 2022. That's two Division 1 teams, one who got relegated and one promoted division 2 team.

FYI David Clifford did not suffer from cramp that day. He went off injured with a dead leg as a result of a knee to the thigh by Niall Morgan. He labored badly for at least the last 10 minutes of regulation. Conditioning was not the issue as you state.

Thats an amazing insight into your thought patterns but Im not letting you create that narrative in this case.  Do you believe Morgan shouldnt have went for the ball and let what was a wayward pass be won uncontested by Clifford. Even if that was the case why was he even stretching out cramp on the sideline by the way...

Not trying to create any narrative. I'm going by video evidence along with word from within the Kerry camp. Watch when the injury occurred here at the 1hr 19 minute mark. https://o-trim.co/yoGovq

Clifford had an ice pack on his thigh during extra time, clearly seen on television. Have a look at the recent Sunday Game, in the lead up to the Kerry/Tyrone highlights, the ice pack on his thigh is also shown. Just want to debunk this cramp myth as that is all it is, a myth. Absolutely, Niall Morgan did what he had to do in competing for the ball. It was 100% an accident. I'm not in one way trying to take away from Tyrone's AI win, it was fully deserved. All Ireland wins are hard earned, I hate it when counties are not given full credit. You seem to be a very decent poster so it came as a surprise that you of all people are trying to indicate that I'm attempting to create a narrative. Just as in all walks of life I only stick to the facts.

There is another Tyrone poster that I really take issue with though. He is constantly trying to create the narrative that Kerry are bad losers and even worse winners. This even seeps down to club level where he also made some crazy remarks on this year's junior final. County supporters who are used to winning and losing take it in their stride and that goes for every Kerry supporter I know. His hatred for Kerry knows no bounds. It's doubtful if he even knows one Kerry person. It is another myth that Kerry never gave Tyrone credit for their victories in '03, '05 and '08. This was all media driven. They had some of the greatest players to ever play the game. Peter Canavan may well be the best ever. There is no way that Dublin would have won 6 in a row, nor anywhere close, if that Tyrone team arrived at the same time.

The win on Saturday was special because of the respect we have for Tyrone. Sport is a lot about rivalry and should have nothing to do with hatred. If there is hatred in your heart keep away and find another hobby. Be the first to congratulate the winner and console the loser. A year is a very short time in sport, cherish the wins and don't get too down about the defeats. Tyrone will be back, Darragh and Ruairi Canavan as special players and Tyrone are recent U20 winners .
[/quote]

Well said Seamus, agree on all.

rrhf

I agree Kerry had the motive, the weapons, and the know how and Tyrone were the innocent victims of a heinous event...

rrhf

[/quote]
All good craic.. To me the footballing moment of the year was David Clifford's pass. Only the best of the best could even attempt this... genuine privilege to be there to see it..

clarshack

I don't hate anybody lol but I'll call a spade a spade and in the most recent case the behaviour of the O'Shea brothers at the weekend was unacceptable.

Piskin

Quote from: clarshack on July 05, 2023, 09:07:26 PM

I don't hate anybody lol but I'll call a spade a spade and in the most recent case the behaviour of the O'Shea brothers at the weekend was unacceptable.

All good craic...it's part of the game

RedHand88

Commentators repeatedly said at the time it was cramp,
which i think is where it comes from, but they had got it wrong. It was from the accidental collision with Morgan.