Predict Prelim Q/finals: Kildare/Monaghan, Cork/Ros, Donegal/Tyrone, Galway/Mayo

Started by GAABoardMod5, June 21, 2023, 07:31:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trueblue1234

Happy with that. Tyrone got the tails up with the early goal and looked strong in attack. A team with the two Canavans, mattie and McCurry will cause any team problems, and that's leaving out the MotM Meyler.

Defence looked better, midfield was very good imo. Not sure how much we've improved as Donegal didn't look in the game from the start. Good game to build momentum and you never know.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

J70

Quote from: Schkite on June 24, 2023, 08:37:14 PM
Shame to see Donegal go out with a bit of a whimper at home, considering they'd built up a bit of form over the last couple games. I'd thought they had a very good shot here.

Tyrone had 12 of their AI winning line up from two years ago in the team against a patched up Donegal. Tyrone were always going to win if they were up for it. And even if we were at what is now full strength for us, their ceiling is probably a bit higher than ours.

red hander

Quote from: straightred on June 24, 2023, 08:46:34 PM
Went to Tullamore with my Monaghan cousin. He's quite possibly the most biased person you could sit beside at a match but he had a point today. The ref was awful. Hosed Monaghan in the 1st half. Didn't give frees for obvious fouls and then gave petty frees for very little. Kildare were moaning at the end but i honestly dont know why. They had a free in from the 45 (again very soft) near the end but the taker clearly fouled the ball so a throw up was the right call there. A monghan player called for a mark in the last play but he didnt give so its just play on. Kildares own fault for stopping. He even gave Kildare a point that looked wide from my seat but that's more on the umpire i suppose. Kildare fans will disagree on my analysis but one thing I think everyone will agree with is that this ref isn't up to this level. The match itself was dire. Kildare often had 14 or even 15 in their own 45. The tactic was to draw Monaghan, turn them over and break at speed. It nearly worked. Monaghan played into their hands by constantly carrying the ball into contact and then getting turned over.

On a brighter note the minor game was really enjoyable. 2 teams trying to play the game properly

Watched the game. You aren't being paranoid. The ref was a f**king clown, and the commentators were very critical.

Schkite

Quote from: ClubScene13 on June 24, 2023, 08:42:13 PM
Quote from: Schkite on June 24, 2023, 08:41:13 PM
So clearly it's gonna be Derry v Tyrone in the quarters, yeah?

Wishful thinking just Schkitey boy

;D Wishful thinking how exactly, has no effect on me whoever these 2 teams are drawn to play. It just seems like a typical fixture to come up

full moon

It's all sitting nicely for Dublin to win it once again. Draw is big on Monday. I don't imagine Monaghan or Cork putting it up to them. The week off will likely help the teams already through.

Dublin Mayo and Kerry Tyrone would be most interesting draw!

Schkite

Went to Tullamore with my Monaghan cousin. He's quite possibly the most biased person you could sit beside at a match but he had a point today. The ref was awful. Hosed Monaghan in the 1st half. Didn't give frees for obvious fouls and then gave petty frees for very little. Kildare were moaning at the end but i honestly dont know why. They had a free in from the 45 (again very soft) near the end but the taker clearly fouled the ball so a throw up was the right call there. A monghan player called for a mark in the last play but he didnt give so its just play on. Kildares own fault for stopping. He even gave Kildare a point that looked wide from my seat but that's more on the umpire i suppose. Kildare fans will disagree on my analysis but one thing I think everyone will agree with is that this ref isn't up to this level. The match itself was dire. Kildare often had 14 or even 15 in their own 45. The tactic was to draw Monaghan, turn them over and break at speed. It nearly worked. Monaghan played into their hands by constantly carrying the ball into contact and then getting turned over.

On a brighter note the minor game was really enjoyable. 2 teams trying to play the game properly

The ref was f**king atrocious all round. Like I said earlier, whoever came out on the losing side would be giving out about the ref. I thought we just about got the worst of it, though that could just be my blinkered view - but the truth is he gave bad calls on both sides. Just some bizarre officiating. What Kildare should be looking at is their inability to kill off a game. If they'd taken one of those goal chances that would probably have been it, considering how poor we were today. But they let us hang on long enough to be able to get the late scores to get us over the line.

Interesting to hear about a Kildare point maybe being wide, was told that by another lad who was at the game. Wasn't something that came across on the TV or was even mentioned (as far as I remember)

screenexile

Interesting that in probably the fairest All Ireland system we've ever had there are 4 Ulster teams out of 8 in it!!

gallsman

Thoroughly enjoyed the 15 mins of completely shithousery at the end of that. What the Donegal boys were doing initiating it at times when they were down by 7 I'll never know. McMenamin is some fecking eejit for getting involved.

Meyler - absolutely should have walked for that. Utter stupidity and lucky it's not going to cost them next time out.

Patton - even bigger eejit. Dunno how he thought he'd get away with that.

McKernan - didn't need to roll around like that. Lads defending that is a bit like the Armagh lads last week suggesting criticising Forker was unfair. Earlier on he made sure to stay on the ground getting his medical attention until ref had given out the yellow card and then bounced up immediately. EBG was clearly chatting to him about it after. Was he fouled on both occasions? Absolutely. Does his reputation precede him? Absolutely. Sooner or later there'll be a boy who cried wolf moment that'll cost Tyrone.

square_ball

I think you can say that both Patton was an eejit for doing it and McKernan was an eejit for his reaction.

red hander

Quote from: screenexile on June 24, 2023, 09:22:02 PM
Interesting that in probably the fairest All Ireland system we've ever had there are 4 Ulster teams out of 8 in it!!

Careful. You'll be winding up Kerry people with their Kingdom bullshit.

trueblue1234

Quote from: square_ball on June 24, 2023, 09:34:26 PM
I think you can say that both Patton was an eejit for doing it and McKernan was an eejit for his reaction.

Given the stage of the game, and where he should have been, I'd be asking McKernan wtf he was at being in there in the first place.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Main Street

Quote from: Schkite on June 24, 2023, 09:09:57 PM

The ref was f**king atrocious all round. Like I said earlier, whoever came out on the losing side would be giving out about the ref. I thought we just about got the worst of it, though that could just be my blinkered view - but the truth is he gave bad calls on both sides. Just some bizarre officiating. What Kildare should be looking at is their inability to kill off a game. If they'd taken one of those goal chances that would probably have been it, considering how poor we were today. But they let us hang on long enough to be able to get the late scores to get us over the line.

Interesting to hear about a Kildare point maybe being wide, was told that by another lad who was at the game. Wasn't something that came across on the TV or was even mentioned (as far as I remember)
Monaghan got the worst of it for the first 50 mins, case in point Ryan O'Toole being penalised for a dispossession, but Monaghan got most of the ref's gifts in the last 10 mins.  Apart from the ref,  Kildare shot themselves in the foot or just hadn't the wherewithal to do anything effective apart from a successful counterattack at speed, once they were stopped in their tracks  they invariably lost the ball.

square_ball

Quote from: trueblue1234 on June 24, 2023, 09:38:43 PM
Quote from: square_ball on June 24, 2023, 09:34:26 PM

Given the stage of the game, and where he should have been, I'd be asking McKernan wtf he was at being in there in the first place.

Yeah that's a fair point. 7/8 up and there was no need to be acting the bollix there anyway.