Teddy McCarthy

Started by pbat, June 06, 2023, 09:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

It must have been something hereditary. His own  father died in 1970.

ck

Had the pleasure to meet Teddy shortly after he retired. A phenomenal athlete who could have graced any era. His power and strength were a sight to behold and it was no surprise at the time that we would dominate hurling and football at a time when the dual player was held aloft in GAA circles.

tonto1888

Sorry to hear this. RIP

DhoireTheas

There are 3 of the Cork team dead now who started the 1993 final

imtommygunn

Kerins, Mick McCarthy? (corner forward from skibberine) and Teddy Mc Carthy ?

mup

Sad day for Cork GAA. A legend in the true sense of the worse. His feat will probably never be equalled.

I was in his company a couple of times and he was easy to talk to. A wonderful conversationalist.

RIP Teddy.

restorepride

Mo chomhbhrón le muintir Chorcaí.  Laoch ar lár.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 06, 2023, 10:30:26 PM
Only player in GAA history to win an All-Ireland senior medal in both codes in the same season, a record that will probably won't be matched.  RIP Teddy.

Wasn't Denis Walsh part of both panels. I think he won the hurling All Ireland then didn't make the panel for the football final and missed out on a medal.

Loved watching Teddy when i was a kid, an absolute legend of our games. Was such a great athlete and to win two All Irelands in a year is just phenomenal. RIP Teddy.
That was never a square ball!!

imtommygunn

Apparently subs didn't get medals then? Maybe that was subs not listed but McCarthy always said Walsh should have two.

Bord na Mona man

Teddy's double winning achievement may not be ever be matched now with the way the sports have gone.
He came across me as a bit of a maverick, did it his way.
One of my earliest memories of him was playing the in 1986 International Rules tour, he got sent off and went bananas only sideline, kicking the bench and having to be restrained.

He'll be sadly missed.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 08, 2023, 11:05:39 AM
Apparently subs didn't get medals then? Maybe that was subs not listed but McCarthy always said Walsh should have two.
Yes, this happened Walsh and Teddy McCarthy was known to point out that Walsh should also be recognised as having won a double.

johnnycool

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 08, 2023, 10:53:42 AM
Quote from: Blowitupref on June 06, 2023, 10:30:26 PM
Only player in GAA history to win an All-Ireland senior medal in both codes in the same season, a record that will probably won't be matched.  RIP Teddy.

Wasn't Denis Walsh part of both panels. I think he won the hurling All Ireland then didn't make the panel for the football final and missed out on a medal.

Loved watching Teddy when i was a kid, an absolute legend of our games. Was such a great athlete and to win two All Irelands in a year is just phenomenal. RIP Teddy.

Walsh was on both and played for the footballers earlier on the football championship IIRC.