Minor All Ireland Football Championship 2024

Started by Blowitupref, May 26, 2023, 07:18:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

Quote from: bennydorano on May 26, 2024, 02:33:38 PMHard luck Armagh. Don't see Derry winning any All Ireland tbh, very easily nullified today by a team they beat by 17 pts a few weeks ago. Then again it's hard to know how the provinces measure up and if they'll give Derry the free reign to do what they like.

Very strong Derry panel this year, will take a quare team to beat them. Armagh setup for damage limitation from the throw in and fair play to them. They put in some shift

galwayman

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 26, 2024, 02:44:19 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on May 26, 2024, 02:33:38 PMHard luck Armagh. Don't see Derry winning any All Ireland tbh, very easily nullified today by a team they beat by 17 pts a few weeks ago. Then again it's hard to know how the provinces measure up and if they'll give Derry the free reign to do what they like.

From what I've seen and similar to U20 this year Ulster appears to be the strongest province of the four.
In terms of the overall standard in the province I would agree.
I would say though that I fancy Mayo to win the All Ireland.
I've seen them a few times and they are very good.

Wildweasel74

That 5 out 8 finals for Derry in 10yrs and a semi final with a losing Ulster final team few yrs bck. Good going at underage. Need Start a big focus on the U20 level and let them play their level. We let a couple finals go past few yrs.

SouthOfThe Bann

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 26, 2024, 08:36:11 PMThat 5 out 8 finals for Derry in 10yrs and a semi final with a losing Ulster final team few yrs bck. Good going at underage. Need Start a big focus on the U20 level and let them play their level. We let a couple finals go past few yrs.

Heard a few ones say that Derry treat the U20 grade as a development one.

Play players that are more likely to make the step up to senior in the future ie. The best players just out of minor rather than the all 19 and 20 year olds.

Not sure if any truth to it.

theticklemister

Why is it then that minor games don't be played before Senior games now?

I heard the saying that it's not fair on the young lads to play in front of big crowds, but any 'proper' reasons?

As wild weasel said, there are a shitload of games on. Getting to watch them on tv is hard enough, never mind getting to go to them.

Armagh18

Quote from: theticklemister on May 27, 2024, 10:38:18 AMWhy is it then that minor games don't be played before Senior games now?

I heard the saying that it's not fair on the young lads to play in front of big crowds, but any 'proper' reasons?

As wild weasel said, there are a shitload of games on. Getting to watch them on tv is hard enough, never mind getting to go to them.
I suppose everyones different but for a lot of those young lads it's the biggest game they'll ever play in and might never play in front of a full stadium again. Play it before a senior game surely!

Walter Cronc

Quote from: theticklemister on May 27, 2024, 10:38:18 AMWhy is it then that minor games don't be played before Senior games now?

Was there not something about not wanting to pressurise the players playing in front of a big crowd? Load of nonsense. The best players will thrive in that environment and the others will learn loads from the experience!

onefineday

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 27, 2024, 12:32:47 PM

I suppose everyones different but for a lot of those young lads it's the biggest game they'll ever play in and might never play in front of a full stadium again. Play it before a senior game surely!
Absolutely agree with that - this will be the pinnacle of many of those lads Gaelic football careers - it's a great achievement for them and I'd be very surprised if there was a lad there who wouldn't rather be playing before a big games, rather than a stand alone fixture.
Same goes for those who talk of underage football as being a developmental pathway towards senior intercounty football - again that neglects the reality that simple mathematics means it's improbable that more than a few off any panel will progress to senior stardom. Let them enjoy the highest level they'll achieve and give them something to tell the kids about!!!

GTP

Last season's All Ireland final was played in front of a crowd of 13,754 at the Athletic Grounds - If it had been before a senior game in Croke Park there would be nowhere near the same atmosphere. This years Ulster Final on Sunday probably had less than 3000 - put that in Clones before a senior match and I doubt it would feel like a big game. I dont agree with the reasoning that young players shouldn't be subjected to the pressure of a big match but having them as standalone fixtures can make them more accessible. As it seem it is another GAA attempt to to reduce the importance of competitions and competitiveness at underage level. But at least you can get to watch the matches if you want and aren't subjected to the cost of a double header.

twohands!!!

At the end of the day, these are still children at minor.

Let them be kids I say.

Watched the Munster Final a few weeks back which finished Kerry 2-18 Cork 1-6.

Really don't think it would have benefitted anyone to have this game on in front of a senior Munster Final.

U20s I would be far more comfortable being in front of senior games if logistics allowed it.

Blowitupref

Tier 2 Quarter finals this weekend

Saturday

Louth v Cavan 1pm
Galway v Kildare 2pm
Sligo v Donegal 2pm

Sunday
Tyrone v Wexford 6pm

Tier 3 Semi finals on Saturday

Westmeath v Laois 12:30pm
Down v Leitrim 1pm
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Goals_Will_Come

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 28, 2024, 11:08:58 AMhttps://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/captain-speeches-and-interviews-no-longer-permitted-for-minor-players-329140?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR0KjeX3OoUw3NeHLwigrWOZQe2-4hXsgWCXwRmnzfrJkSClW4VkFmJwYaw_aem_AZJ1KJ91jvFfg_WpYmLrjOqSszb2tm7J_CXHWNlxkOAno5TJ4RT_s7jAmE5nN45rW_cJG9al92MiCImnTUUflXJA

Not sure whether to put here or in the wtf thread.
Complete joke. Under 17 instead of 18, No speeches, no interviews, no playing before big crowds in provincial and national games and round robin and tiers.
Completely ruined competitions which were once fantastic. Sucked all life out of it. Tyrone Minors this year have played 9 games, lost 4, not one of our better teams and deservedly beaten by Derry in Ulster Semi and that should be the year over. But now have to enter a Tier 2 competition that no one wants to be in for potentially the next 3 weeks. Make it make sense.

Rossfan

Another Nordie against change ::)

Any idea when the Quarter Finals fixtures will be announced?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Blowitupref

Quote from: Goals_Will_Come on May 31, 2024, 10:47:59 AMnow have to enter a Tier 2 competition that no one wants to be in for potentially the next 3 weeks. Make it make sense.
U17 is Ultra development grade and players and management would want as many games as possible.

Quote from: Rossfan on May 31, 2024, 12:32:33 PMAny idea when the Quarter Finals fixtures will be announced?

On next weekend June 8th/9th now that's poor by HQ to not have venues and throw in times already set.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose