Previous topic - Next topic

Armaghtothebone

Tyrone away to Cork with a bit of luck.
Nice handy wee spin

RedHand88

Quote from: Armaghtothebone on June 18, 2023, 06:54:35 PM
Nice handy wee spin

Nah we'll just ask for it to be moved to Croke Park to accommodate the travelling support.

Armaghtothebone

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 18, 2023, 06:48:25 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on June 18, 2023, 06:46:56 PM
I doubt even Croke Park is big enough to house all the Armagh fans after that. Maybe play it in Phoenix Park.

Down might play in the warm up game before us in the 1/4 finals.....

Might head to CP, can't bate a bandwagon

I've been on the "bandwagon " for 50 years....not much of a band and even less of a wagon

yellowcard

Quote from: gallsman on June 18, 2023, 06:51:45 PM
Anyone claiming Murnin wasn't fouled is talking through their holes. He was exhausted and going nowhere and the defender decided to slap the seem around him from the back anyway.

Rather than Murnin or McQuillan (who tried his level best to get Galway an equaliser) turn your ire on Cooke who decided to play the completely unnecessary ball in the first place or the defender who let it hop over him for Murnin to run onto.

Exactly, McQuillan has been woeful for years and as soon as Armagh scored the free kick to go one up, I nearly knew that he would give Galway another chance. He should be known as The Equaliser as his entire career has been based on bringing the team that is behind back into it. It would have been disgraceful if Galway had scored that last free kick to equalise as he played over a minute and a half added time when there were no stoppages within the 3 minutes injury time. Galway should be looking at why they left Kelly on the field clearly injured for about 3-4 minutes before they replaced him, I had just presumed that they had used up all of their subs when they didn't take off a player clearly not able to walk properly. 

Armaghtothebone

Quote from: RedHand88 on June 18, 2023, 06:56:04 PM
Quote from: Armaghtothebone on June 18, 2023, 06:54:35 PM
Nice handy wee spin

Nah we'll just ask for it to be moved to Croke Park to accommodate the travelling support.

The only boys who are cuter hoors than you lit are Cork

tonto1888

Quote from: seafoid on June 18, 2023, 06:44:58 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on June 18, 2023, 06:32:51 PM
Quote from: clarshack on June 18, 2023, 05:46:37 PM
Armagh win the group and they are rubbish.

Armagh the only team in that group to win against 15 men and they did it twice. No one else did it all. So deserved if lucky Group win
The professional foul at the end was poor form.

It was stupid is what it was

An Fhairche Abu

Best of luck to Armagh the rest of the way, great result for ye.

Rarely been as livid leaving a match, forget any talk about the ref, Galway absolutely just fucked that game away.themselves.
Missed peno, 3 missed scorable frees, Burke cannot find a return pass to let Walsh through with the goal open and Rafferty scrambling back, crazy bad decision making up front, balls picked up off the ground. Mental. There's no cut up top at all without Comer. Talk of squad depth looks overblown after today. Only one point in it, but I'm the context of the season, it's everything.
That missed free at the end is the difference between having a chance, and only a slim chance the way Galway are playing, and no chance at the big show.
Winners of Sam will be either Kerry, Dublin, Derry or Armagh, I'd give the 2nd and 3rd teams none at this stage, players are going to get knocks again next week and it's too much of a hard schedule after the games this week.
Mayo's implosion was even worse given they were 6 points up and Rossies lost as well, bad day for Connacht.

Armaghtothebone

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 18, 2023, 06:58:54 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 18, 2023, 06:44:58 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on June 18, 2023, 06:32:51 PM
Quote from: clarshack on June 18, 2023, 05:46:37 PM
Armagh win the group and they are rubbish.

Armagh the only team in that group to win against 15 men and they did it twice. No one else did it all. So deserved if lucky Group win
The professional foul at the end was poor form.

It was stupid is what it was

Disagree. Think it was clever.  Been saying for years we are nowhere near cynical enough.
Took the man out almost on the sideline. Never an easy free.
If the Galway lad gets the ball and gives one decent pass they are in the danger zone.
Clever ( almost Mickey  Harte level) play.

Sandy Hill

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 18, 2023, 06:48:25 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on June 18, 2023, 06:46:56 PM
I doubt even Croke Park is big enough to house all the Armagh fans after that. Maybe play it in Phoenix Park.

Down might play in the warm up game before us in the 1/4 finals.....

Might head to CP, can't bate a bandwagon

+2002 😎
"Stercus accidit"

naka

bennydorano

Quote from: naka on June 18, 2023, 07:12:36 PM
As good a Sunday as have had in years
Tyrone shitting the bed makes it sweeter too. Sliding doors moment's all day.

mrdeeds

So the format works? But then is two rounds of poor games a sacrifice worth taking?

twohands!!!

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on June 18, 2023, 06:54:15 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on June 18, 2023, 06:10:49 PM
It was stone wall. No other way about it. Though few other frees were weak as well, but in the usual bias viewing of your own team. But that call was just ridiculous. You could not have got a better example of where it should be implemented. I do not understand how a ref could get it so wrong. The players were in space so viewing was easy, there was no other potential defender to muddy the water. There was no grey area. The only explanation I can think of is that the ref obviously doesn't understand the rule, which would be a bit of a concern.
On the grand scheme it doesn't matter much, but imagine if that happened in a big game.
I'm not sure it is as cut & dried as you think though my understanding of the rules might not be 100%. I was under the impression that the foul had to be one of the black card offences. If so, which one is it? I don't think it would be a black card anywhere elsewhere on the pitch.

That said, it should be written into the rules.

Quote5.41 Notwithstanding provisions of existing Playing
Rules 2.2 Exception (i), 5 and specifically 5.40, if one of the following infractions-
(a) To deliberately pull down an opponent (5.10) or
(b) To deliberately trip an opponent with hand (s),arm, leg, or foot, (5.11) or
(c) To deliberately collide with an opponent after he has played the ball away or for the purpose of taking him out of the movement of play (5.12)  is committed on an attacking player who or, in the case of a Rule 5.12 (Football) Infraction, his team, is denied of a goal-scoring opportunity, as defined in Important Terms and Definitions 9, the following penalties shall apply:
(i) A Penalty Kick shall be awarded to the team affected.
(ii) The offender shall be issued with a BlackCard and be sent to the Sin Bin for 10 minutes.

I think the ref must have deceided that it wasn't a pull down - it was a pull back.

Why the rules committee drafted the rule this way I will never fathom - you see it all the time that defenders will do their best to pull/drag the player back but do their damdest not to make it look like they are pulling the player down in the direction of the ground.

twohands!!!

Yet again another penalty saved where the goal-keeper was clearly well off his line with the shot was taken.

The GAA really needs to up their game in relation to this issue.

Occasionally a ref will ping for it during a penalty shoot-out but the vast majority of the time a goalie will get away with it during a match.

If a keeper guesses the right way and is well off his line it increases his odds of saving it massively.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: naka on June 18, 2023, 07:12:36 PM
As good a Sunday as have had in years

Many wondered could we get the last day drama of the NFL in the championship? well today was just like that with plenty of twist and turns plus shock result and it all points to a successful first year of this group format,