Sam Maguire Group 2 - Galway, Armagh, Tyrone, Westmeath

Started by GAABoardMod5, May 23, 2023, 08:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armamike

Quote from: lurganblue on June 15, 2023, 10:51:02 AM
No idea why Armagh appealed and no idea why they asked to move the game to Croke Park. Two silly decisions in my book.

Rian deserves his ban.  Will he learn from it? I'd doubt that in the short term anyway.

Agreed.  He's involved in too much crap that doesn't serve anyone well.
That's just, like your opinion man.

David McKeown

I think as a general principle Rian gives a lot and takes a lot. He doesn't seem to protest much. I think the suspension decision is wrong for what he was sent off for but I am not going to suggest that there haven't been other incidents that he was lucky to get away with.

What does annoy me though is the nonsense from the CCCC that he somehow endangered Player safety more than a lot of what we saw even in the same match let alone this year. I really think something needs done to tackle the inconsistency of approach. Otherwise there will always be a perception of injustice which will result in appeals.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

statto

Quote from: David McKeown on June 15, 2023, 11:41:05 AM
I think as a general principle Rian gives a lot and takes a lot. He doesn't seem to protest much. I think the suspension decision is wrong for what he was sent off for but I am not going to suggest that there haven't been other incidents that he was lucky to get away with.

What does annoy me though is the nonsense from the CCCC that he somehow endangered Player safety more than a lot of what we saw even in the same match let alone this year. I really think something needs done to tackle the inconsistency of approach. Otherwise there will always be a perception of injustice which will result in appeals.
It was a red card can't complain about that.  Rian has always played on the edge and often over the edge this isn't a new thing.  He's made a silly mistake and hopefully he can learn from it.  Aidan Forker was similar in his younger years and was then targetted as he was seen as easy to windup and got a number of red cards, but has matured in last number of years, hopefully Rian can follow this and continue to show what a talent he is.  I recall a podcast where Forker said the turning point was his wife took the child to league game in Louth and she was late and by time got into stand he had already got the line. 

tonto1888

Quote from: rrhf on June 15, 2023, 09:35:45 AM
Quote from: balladmaker on June 15, 2023, 12:54:34 AM
Hopefully that hits home for Rian, getting involved too often caught up with him.  Not only did the sending off forfeit the Tyrone game, it could go a long way to greatly shortening Armagh's season.  Yes, Rian get's extra attention each game, he needs to rise above that.
I think Riain gives the extra attention to others. Fabricated nonsense from the Armagh corner over this. Riain is not a victim here.  He is the agressor and has a history. Still a good player and will be a great player when he learns discipline but the real problem Armagh have is that they dont seem to know where or how to use him.

ONeill gets plenty of attention just like the top players in other teams. If you cant see that then you have the blinkers well and truly on. Does he need to look at his own behaviour? Of course he does but that does not mean he doesnt get extra attention when he plays

An Watcher

Looks like plenty of tain coming in for yhe weekend.  Wonder how that'll impact the games

rrhf

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 15, 2023, 12:45:52 PM
Quote from: rrhf on June 15, 2023, 09:35:45 AM
Quote from: balladmaker on June 15, 2023, 12:54:34 AM
Hopefully that hits home for Rian, getting involved too often caught up with him.  Not only did the sending off forfeit the Tyrone game, it could go a long way to greatly shortening Armagh's season.  Yes, Rian get's extra attention each game, he needs to rise above that.
I think Riain gives the extra attention to others. Fabricated nonsense from the Armagh corner over this. Riain is not a victim here.  He is the agressor and has a history. Still a good player and will be a great player when he learns discipline but the real problem Armagh have is that they dont seem to know where or how to use him.
Genuinely do not think he does. Do you expect other teams not to plan for him as they do all the best players.  This lad could be as good as a Shane Mc Guigan, Comer or Walsh who all get targetted but not neccesarily in a dark arts way and who let their football do the talking.    He is the tightest cub on most pitches he plays on and he leaves something in off the ball quite a lot and usually sins first. And if you think he dosent do it in almost every game then you dont follow the armagh club championship or you definitely have the blinkers on. 

ONeill gets plenty of attention just like the top players in other teams. If you cant see that then you have the blinkers well and truly on. Does he need to look at his own behaviour? Of course he does but that does not mean he doesnt get extra attention when he plays

RedHand88

Quote from: armaghniac on June 09, 2023, 03:49:32 AM
Why should people respond to an inconvenient venue by buying tickets 10 days before a game? People could have decided to go on the day if Galway and the GAA were not acting the bollix.

72 hours to go until the game of the year and the 9000 tickets have.... *checks website*... not sold out yet.

Rossfan

They built a new 20k stand in Carrick last weekend ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Armaghtothebone

Quote from: RedHand88 on June 15, 2023, 03:33:25 PM
Why should people respond to an inconvenient venue by buying tickets 10 days before a game? People could have decided to go on the day if Galway and the GAA were not acting the bollix.

72 hours to go until the game of the year and the 9000 tickets have.... *checks website*... not sold out yet.

And your point is.

bennydorano

RedHand88

Quote from: Armaghtothebone on June 15, 2023, 05:12:44 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on June 15, 2023, 03:33:25 PM

And your point is.

That Armagh county boards concerns about the capacity of the ground in Carrick on Shannon grossly exaggerated the travelling support.

David McKeown

Quote from: statto on June 15, 2023, 12:13:29 PM

It was a red card can't complain about that.  Rian has always played on the edge and often over the edge this isn't a new thing.  He's made a silly mistake and hopefully he can learn from it.  Aidan Forker was similar in his younger years and was then targetted as he was seen as easy to windup and got a number of red cards, but has matured in last number of years, hopefully Rian can follow this and continue to show what a talent he is.  I recall a podcast where Forker said the turning point was his wife took the child to league game in Louth and she was late and by time got into stand he had already got the line.

I disagree that what he received the red card for was actually a red card and whilst I don't disagree over Rian being close to the edge I don't think that justified the sending off either. But unless Armagh lodge an appeal that's over.

I do however think it's not an either or thing. Rian is rightly criticised for his behaviour at times but I don't think it's fair to say he should be more mature etc without also criticising the behaviour of those who try to provoke the reaction. It's that lack of consistency that annoys me
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

marty34

Quote from: David McKeown on June 15, 2023, 07:16:43 PM
Quote from: statto on June 15, 2023, 12:13:29 PM

I disagree that what he received the red card for was actually a red card and whilst I don't disagree over Rian being close to the edge I don't think that justified the sending off either. But unless Armagh lodge an appeal that's over.

I do however think it's not an either or thing. Rian is rightly criticised for his behaviour at times but I don't think it's fair to say he should be more mature etc without also criticising the behaviour of those who try to provoke the reaction. It's that lack of consistency that annoys me

Fair enough comment David but the thing is nobody has any sympathy for him when he gets cards etc., rightly or wrongly and whether he's provked or not unfortunately.

CK_Redhand

RedHand88 can you please stop whingeing about Armagh's objection to the venue and their travelling support etc.? If the shoe was on the other foot, Tyrone would have done the exact same thing, probably with more litigators involved.