Sam Maguire Group 2 - Galway, Armagh, Tyrone, Westmeath

Started by GAABoardMod5, May 23, 2023, 08:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhand Santa

Let's be honest Oisin and Geezer have made eejits of themselves on this one. If there wasn't tv coverage they might have got away with the lies but given there was they just look silly.

imtommygunn

Oisin is usually grand but his dig about the linesman being from Galway wasn't good. That's up there with Brolly and Gough - questions integrity etc and unfair.

Redhand Santa

A lot of times what O'Neill did might not have been spotted and he got away with it. But there is tv footage backing up that the linesman is right. It also show's the stuff about O'Neill being pinned down and not protected to be made up as well.

yellowcard

I think we should have just took our medicine on this one. It's not a massively important game for us against Galway anyway unless Westmeath shocked Tyrone which I can't see happening. We'd be better focusing on our biggest game of the season 6/7 days later and hope that he is available for that. 

trailer

No real surprise. From Armagh's point of view it is a shot to nothing. Appeal and he might get off. GAA need to bring in the rule that spurious appeals that fail means a doubling of the original suspension.

galwayman

Quote from: Estimator on June 07, 2023, 11:02:17 AM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 07, 2023, 10:58:34 AM
How many were at Armagh Tyrone match last weekend? Armagh people going on about the attendance at the Q final last year and all those fans missing out, they haven't been seen in the group stages, if they had then the match would have been scheduled for CP, you can guarantee it.
Cavan as a venue would have been unfair on Galway, just as the Hyde would have been for Armagh. Would have got more people in Tullamore or Mullingar but it's been fixed for an alternative neutral venue, if some people miss out then so be it, this is supposed to be a match in a neutral venue, not one that's way handier for one team in it. I actually hope it was originally fixed for Breffni and the Galway Co Board told them to get fucked.

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 07, 2023, 10:26:40 AM
Armagh appealing that red card is ridiculous.
Did you hear his uncle on the GAA Social podcast? Kept on that the GALWAY LINESMAN (repeated about 5 times, blatantly inferring that the linesman was looking to get him out of the match to come, which is ridiculous) wasn't looking to protect O'Neill but somehow only managed to spot this infraction, as if he's been hard done by, he had his knee on the other player's head FFS.

It must be a very wide pitch in Omagh as well. The Galway linesman was 60yrds away!!
That's not the point though is it? It was clear red card offence.

Estimator

Quote from: galwayman on June 07, 2023, 11:55:33 AM
How many were at Armagh Tyrone match last weekend? Armagh people going on about the attendance at the Q final last year and all those fans missing out, they haven't been seen in the group stages, if they had then the match would have been scheduled for CP, you can guarantee it.
Cavan as a venue would have been unfair on Galway, just as the Hyde would have been for Armagh. Would have got more people in Tullamore or Mullingar but it's been fixed for an alternative neutral venue, if some people miss out then so be it, this is supposed to be a match in a neutral venue, not one that's way handier for one team in it. I actually hope it was originally fixed for Breffni and the Galway Co Board told them to get fucked.

Did you hear his uncle on the GAA Social podcast? Kept on that the GALWAY LINESMAN (repeated about 5 times, blatantly inferring that the linesman was looking to get him out of the match to come, which is ridiculous) wasn't looking to protect O'Neill but somehow only managed to spot this infraction, as if he's been hard done by, he had his knee on the other player's head FFS.

It must be a very wide pitch in Omagh as well. The Galway linesman was 60yrds away!!
Thats not the point I was making.  It was Oisin who claimed the Galway linesman, who I'd assume is keeping up with the play was 60yds away from an incident that happened centrally, but moreso on that linesman's side of the pitch.
So not only was Oisin referencing the county of the official, but that he was also too far away to see anything happening..
Which is why I suggested Healy Park must be very wide. Probably should've used some emojis to emphasis the sarcasm.
Ulster League Champions 2009

tonto1888

Quote from: mackers on June 07, 2023, 11:02:44 AM
Your fascination with all things Armagh should be the subject of a thesis.

Is he a Tyrone man? Complaining about appealing reds?

galwayman

Quote from: Estimator on June 07, 2023, 12:27:59 PM
Quote from: galwayman on June 07, 2023, 11:55:33 AM

Thats not the point I was making.  It was Oisin who claimed the Galway linesman, who I'd assume is keeping up with the play was 60yds away from an incident that happened centrally, but moreso on that linesman's side of the pitch.
So not only was Oisin referencing the county of the official, but that he was also too far away to see anything happening..
Which is why I suggested Healy Park must be very wide. Probably should've used some emojis to emphasis the sarcasm.
Ahhhh I see  :D
I like Oisin McConville - he was decent on the podcasts he was on last year before taking the Wicklow job & now on the GAA Social.
But if he can't call incidents involving his nephew in the same light as he would any other player - then he has no business being in the national media.
If that same incident involved any other player and he is asked about it - he'll say it was a red card all day long.

imtommygunn

Calling out a linesman as being from Galway was probably worse tbh.

Yeah I would like him too - I would say the same on Enda McGinley. I like them both when they are not commenting on their own teams.

Fuzzman

Siege mentality maybe or trying to use this incident as a form of protection against Rian in upcoming games.
I thought he was like a man possessed in the Ulster final.
He didn't remonstrate much with the ref when sent off.

trailer

Armagh should look inside the circle for their solutions to their discipline problems. O'Neill has a poor temperament. The Red had been coming for a few games now. Others in that side have discipline issues. Remember the eye gouging incident?  The melee they started with Tyrone? One common denominator... Armagh. Often teams who lack the footballing ability to compete with the top teams employ these nasty tactics. That's perhaps what we are seeing play out here.

Armaghtothebone

Quote from: trailer on June 07, 2023, 02:46:32 PM
Armagh should look inside the circle for their solutions to their discipline problems. O'Neill has a poor temperament. The Red had been coming for a few games now. Others in that side have discipline issues. Remember the eye gouging incident?  The melee they started with Tyrone? One common denominator... Armagh. Often teams who lack the footballing ability to compete with the top teams employ these nasty tactics. That's perhaps what we are seeing play out here.

Decent trolling

It takes 2 to tango!!

balladmaker

The other games already on sale, no sign of Armagh/Galway tickets as yet.  Or are they distributing them through the clubs again due to capacity of 9k?

yellowcard

Quote from: balladmaker on June 07, 2023, 03:09:05 PM
The other games already on sale, no sign of Armagh/Galway tickets as yet.  Or are they distributing them through the clubs again due to capacity of 9k?

Don't see much need to go through clubs for this game. I'd be surprised if it sells out given that its a bit of a dead rubber with a lot of travel involved and the fact that its on TV anyway. It's overhyped because its Armagh v Galway but its certainly not do or die and a lot of people will hold back for the bigger game the following week.