Rules on MS Outlook

Started by Orior, June 13, 2007, 02:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

This sounds devious, but its a genuine legit requirement.

There is a rule on Microsoft Outlook that allows messages sent to be CC'd to another email address.

Does anyone know how to make it a BCC?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Star Spangler

Uladh

whats the difference between bcc'ed and cc'd?

Orior

One is carbon copy and the other is blind carbon copy i.e. it doesnt appear on the recipients email.

Quote from: Mac Eoghain on June 13, 2007, 02:33:12 PM
Click on the To button - there is a section here where you can blind cc them.

I mean the dialogue box for setting the rule. It has a "To" list but only for CC.

PS. I think there might be a third party utility but dont want to pay for that

Billys Boots

Quotewhats the difference between bcc'ed and cc'd?

BCC is the slimy bastard's way of getting people in trouble, without them knowing or being able to find out who shopped them.   Shame, Orior!  :P
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Orior

Thats Mc Eoghan. That worked a treat. Some companies are charging $$$ for the same utility.

There is nothing ontoward about this. I just want to be able to save all my sent emails in personal folders. 

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Orior on June 18, 2007, 02:10:41 PM
Thats Mc Eoghan. That worked a treat. Some companies are charging $$$ for the same utility.

There is nothing ontoward about this. I just want to be able to save all my sent emails in personal folders. 

you cannot do this in outlook 2003

you have to get this 'email forwarding' done on the exchange server.

its bad practice (for legal and security reasons) for IT depts to do this and generally should not do so.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Mac Eoghain on June 18, 2007, 09:09:37 PM
Quoteyou cannot do this in outlook 2003

you have to get this 'email forwarding' done on the exchange server.

its bad practice (for legal and security reasons) for IT depts to do this and generally should not do so.

Beg to differ lynchboy. I tried it to 2 machines in our place , one is Office 2007 the other Office XP, and Exchange on the server, no hassles. I dont understand the security issue here? There is additional script for older versions of Outlook.
using exchange 2003?

maybe the option is turned on
but yes , this is most def non standard/bad practice.

Its the issue of data protection/confidentiality etc.

what Orior wants to do is a common enough idea, but in most cases in nomal companies - is taboo.
Automatic forwarding of his emails to his gmail/hotmail/yahoo !
I had one such pain-in-the-arse user reeled in and cut down to size for doing this (though it didn take too much cutting down to size as he was more or less a dwarf anyhow).

A lot of people who want and use this kind of tecnique never get the resoning of why it shouldnt be employed !

Orior

I'm BCCing the emails to my own outlook email address. I'd CC them but it looks foolish   :(

I wish I had a 10,000 pence for every time I have been searching for an email I sent 6 months ago. The oldest email in my sent directory is March 2007. Yes these things are archived, but I've never got off my arse to work out how to go through the archive.

A possible answer to all this is an EDRMS. I've yet to hear of a successful EDRMS implementation, but thats because users cant see the benefit. They're generally a pain (EDRMS, not users), and cause grief when down.

Finally, I frown at people who ask for read aknowledgements on their sent emails. Its none of their business when I read their emails, if I think its trash it will go in the bin anway.