GAAGo and other gripes

Started by Captain Scarlet, May 09, 2023, 05:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Scarlet

Sky Sports didn't even exist in 1990. So people had F all sport available.
Times have changed and GAAGO is a good move, but it is not a top class product and the idea of handing over so many games to it is madness.

Even if you are happy to pay, I am, it is not intuitive to set up. Also not all the games get full coverage so no analysis at half time.

Even with Sky you got a day pass and you could also get a big Premier League game and even some end of season NBA too.

It's not snowflake to demand more. It's competition and comparing to others. GAAGO is a broadcaster now.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Rossfan

Quote from: snoopdog on May 09, 2023, 05:29:28 PM
virgin media are jumping on this now also. I wonder will anyone ask them how their customers couldn't watch the live Ulster championship games on bbc?

Did Virgin media make any bid to show any games live? Or would that interfere with reruns of Heartbeat and Vera?
They should change their name to "ITV Eire"
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

blasmere

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on May 10, 2023, 09:45:53 AM
Sky Sports didn't even exist in 1990. So people had F all sport available.
Times have changed and GAAGO is a good move, but it is not a top class product and the idea of handing over so many games to it is madness.

Even if you are happy to pay, I am, it is not intuitive to set up. Also not all the games get full coverage so no analysis at half time.

Even with Sky you got a day pass and you could also get a big Premier League game and even some end of season NBA too.

It's not snowflake to demand more. It's competition and comparing to others. GAAGO is a broadcaster now.

It certainly isn't and at €90 or so a year, it's not a lot different to paying for netflix, disney, amazon prime etc. and I appreciate the GAA don't have the same resources as those but to not even have it available on the tv (and it doesn't work simply for a lot of people trying to cast it or other means) is one of the worst things about it.
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree

weareros

I think it's a bit over the top with populist politicians having a go. It's €79 a season in Ireland and a great service for emigrants oversees. As has been said, was a time when only 3 games were live - semis and All-Ireland final. If Connacht final prices are anything to go by, then a family of 4 is paying €120 for terrace/non covered seating and €140 for stand for one match. The valid criticism is the setup. When Ireland went digital, most elderly went to saorview so when GAA did a deal with Sky, it was near impossible see games. However I setup NowTV for my parents and that was very intuitive as connected a STB to TV and the guide then was like a TV menu and they picked the Sky channel. The reality is for that generation watching GAA is either at a match or gathered around the radio (the wireless) or watching on Telly. You can do that with GAAGO but it's more complicated for elderly and they are not exactly a smartphone/computer generation.

Cavan19

There are vast areas in the country particularly rural areas who don't have broadband and these people have no access to these games.

Bord na Mona man

The biggest sin is that the sacred Munster championship wasn't given preference. Cork vs Tipp is some sort of religious experience.
Moreso because it turned to be an even contest. No one would care if it was one-sided.

Also, it seems like a lot of people were caught by surprise that RTE weren't showing it. There is a whiff of armchair fans not really paying attention beforehand.
Most of us are already resigned to having to make do with local radio if we can't attend when our county plays.

seafoid

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on May 10, 2023, 11:33:57 AM
The biggest sin is that the sacred Munster championship wasn't given preference. Cork vs Tipp is some sort of religious experience.
Moreso because it turned to be an even contest. No one would care if it was one-sided.

Also, it seems like a lot of people were caught by surprise that RTE weren't showing it. There is a whiff of armchair fans not really paying attention beforehand.
Most of us are already resigned to having to make do with local radio if we can't attend when our county plays.
If you think the outrage over Cork/Tipp was bad wait until the football hordes unite over the sacrilege of Mayo/Kerry and Galway /Tyrone on a SATURDAY

clonian

Quote from: seafoid on May 10, 2023, 12:52:53 PM
Malachy Clerkin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pK4DkCcAWA

That's the first I heard Donal Og's rant. The 'nephew knowing all the Liverpool team' is a complete nonsense argument. He more than likely knows the Liverpool team through FIFA and stuff like that. My lad is 12 and can't sit and watch games but he knows players from everywhere through the playstation or else through youtube shorts/tiktok. The days of everyone round the TV on a Sunday afternoon are gone. Kids are bombarded with small snippets of information at all times and if the GAA can't break into that area somehow it's not going to get noticed.

armaghniac

Quote from: Cavan19 on May 10, 2023, 11:33:42 AM

There are vast areas in the country particularly rural areas who don't have broadband and these people have no access to these games.

There are some areas, but things have improved a lot in this regard and will be even better next year. However, people living in these places do have a reason for complaint.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

seafoid

Surely the GAA will make quite a lot more from the extra games between now and the quarter finals.
If price is the issue couldn't they reduce their margins ?

CK_Redhand

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 10, 2023, 05:18:06 PM
GAA statement

https://www.gaa.ie/news/gaa-corrects-record-on-vmtv-statement/
"GAA corrects record on VMTV statement"
The GAA conducted a thorough investigation into themselves and found no wrongdoing.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: seafoid on May 10, 2023, 11:57:58 AM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on May 10, 2023, 11:33:57 AM

If you think the outrage over Cork/Tipp was bad wait until the football hordes unite over the sacrilege of Mayo/Kerry and Galway /Tyrone on a SATURDAY

The quotient of lonely farmers living on mountainsides may be even higher than in Cork or Tipp.

weareros

I think the Munster Hurling championship will have every game broadcast live (half on RTE, half on GAAGo) and they are complaining. Fantastic games I agree and Clare Limerick was top class. But this is really the privileged armchair GAA classes complaining. Sick of it at this stage.