Best Derry footballer since 1980

Started by glens73, November 22, 2006, 05:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who is the best Derry footballer since 1980?

Joe Irwin
3 (2.1%)
Tony Scullion
24 (16.9%)
Anthony Tohill
67 (47.2%)
Kieran McKeever
5 (3.5%)
Brian McGilligan
6 (4.2%)
Henry Downey
8 (5.6%)
Joe Brolly
16 (11.3%)
Enda Gormley
4 (2.8%)
Sean Martin Lockhart
4 (2.8%)
Paddy Bradley
5 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 140

tonesfirstandlast

Quote from: Doire abú on November 21, 2008, 01:35:35 PM
I'm not suggesting he was Derry's best ever footballer, and he was before my time, but I think Peter Stevenson deserves a mention. The man could play basically anywhere, think he captained Derry to a couple of Ulsters and seems to be Derry's "forgotten All Star".

No, he doesn't

amigo

Quote from: Doire abú on November 21, 2008, 04:38:11 PM
Quote from: cadhlancian on November 21, 2008, 03:10:04 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 22, 2006, 10:48:36 PM
dont know why you re laughing at Joe Irwin
a very good player who wasnt playing at the top long enough- or just didnt get seen in the days of bad tv coverage and even worse Derry attendances

Its hard to compare players who are superb in their own positions

McKeever the best man to man marker in the game, and the only man that made canavan look like a junior footballer
Scullion superb
McGilliagan - best in the game at what he did
Tohill best all round attacking midfielder of his generation

cant compare so I cant selct

Be quiet you idiot!! For sure they had many a good battle, but a junior footballer,wise up

Someone told me Canavan never scored from play off McKeever. Don't know if thats true or not.
a very good player who wasnt playing at the top long enough- or just didnt get seen in the days of bad tv coverage and even worse Derry attendances

McKeever the best man to man marker in the game, and the only man that made canavan look like a junior footballer
Scullion superb

Be quiet you idiot!! For sure they had many a good battle, but a junior footballer,wise up

Someone told me Canavan never scored from play off McKeever. Don't know if thats true or not.

MYTH !!!!!!

Doire abú

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on November 21, 2008, 04:42:44 PM
I'm not suggesting he was Derry's best ever footballer, and he was before my time, but I think Peter Stevenson deserves a mention. The man could play basically anywhere, think he captained Derry to a couple of Ulsters and seems to be Derry's "forgotten All Star".

No, he doesn't

No he doesn't what?

tonesfirstandlast

Quote from: tbrick18 on November 21, 2008, 04:27:20 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on November 21, 2008, 03:48:31 PM
I went for Tohill but it was a close call with Scullion who was simply one of the greatest defenders I've ever seen. McGilligan and Brolly as already mentioned would stand favourable comparison with anyone of this era in their positions. Its truly shocking how this Derry team never managed a second All-Ireland.

A combination of that Great Down team and the ineptness of the Derry County board destroyed any chances Derry had of another AI.
If we had beaten Down in 94, I think we'd have went on to win that year, but the rest is history.
If only we'd had a back door back then.......

To many IFS THERE!! Remember this great team which grows in folklore by the day, capitulated in 92, 94,95,96 and 97

tonesfirstandlast

Quote from: Doire abú on November 21, 2008, 04:45:42 PM

No, he doesn't

No he doesn't what?

DESERVE A MENTION

Hardy

No Gerry McElhinney? Tohill by a mile, of those I've seen, but McElhinney would be vying for second place with the others, even though his career in real football was short.

Doire abú

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on November 21, 2008, 04:48:49 PM
Quote from: Doire abú on November 21, 2008, 04:45:42 PM

No, he doesn't

No he doesn't what?

DESERVE A MENTION

Do you not think he was a good player?

Puckoon

Tohill literally (almost) was head and shoulders above the rest.

screenexile

Quote from: amigo on November 21, 2008, 04:43:22 PM

Scullion superb

Scullion superb

MYTH !!!!!!

1997   Ulster SFC SF      Derry   2-15      Tyrone   2-3   Details
13.10.1996   NFL, Div 1 League      Derry   0-7      Tyrone   0-3   Details
1996   Ulster SFC SF      Tyrone   1-13      Derry   1-8   Details
1995   Ulster SFC SF      Tyrone   0-11      Derry   0-10   Details
23.04.1995   NFL, Div 1 SF      Derry   1-8      Tyrone   2-3   Details
1992   NFL, Div 1 F      Derry   1-10      Tyrone   1-8   Details
1992   Ulster SFC L16      Derry   1-10      Tyrone   1-7   Details
1991   Ulster SFC L16      Derry   1-9      Tyrone   1-8   Details

Here are the games that McKeever would have marked Canavan... Derry 6 Tyrone 2! Explain how it is a myth again? Oh and you can add an Ulster Club Final that Dungiven won against Errigal Ciaran to that as well thanks ;)

peterquaife

Quote from: give her dixie on November 21, 2008, 12:13:26 PM
Tohill's display in a rain soaked Clones pitch in the '93 Ulster Final was unforgettable, and her gets my vote....

jesus, some performance, and so was the big heavy set woman in her best Sunday frock slidin down by us on the old hill!

Doire abú

:D :D

Does anyone have a video of that match?
It was an epic.

5 Sams

Definitely need Spoofer on that list....he was close to being done in the early 90s when yiz won the big one but he was one of the most naturally talented footballers ever to come of Ulster never mind Derry.
The Aristocrat Years

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Doire abú on November 21, 2008, 09:08:02 PM
Does anyone have a video of that match?
It was an epic.

That it was, and Tohill was a man apart, totally a man apart.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Doire abú

Quote from: 5 Sams on November 21, 2008, 09:24:16 PM
Definitely need Spoofer on that list....he was close to being done in the early 90s when yiz won the big one but he was one of the most naturally talented footballers ever to come of Ulster never mind Derry.

Definetly. Also playing for your country and winning an All Star, both while still at school.... unbelievable.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Doire abú on November 21, 2008, 10:07:33 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on November 21, 2008, 09:24:16 PM
Definetly. Also playing for your country and winning an All Star, both while still at school.... unbelievable.

Yep, glens73 wants a kick up the jacksie for that howler.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...